+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Come on. Hands up. Whos willing to admit they were wrong

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Come on. Hands up. Whos willing to admit they were wrong

Me. In saying that, I soon became a bit more optimistic once I’d reminded myself of some of his work earlier in his managerial career (I allowed myself to be influenced too much by his time at Ipswich and his second spell with Ireland). Most impressive for me has been the improvements where it was hard to see how there could be any. Josh Murphy has already been mentioned, but I think Harry Wilson and Sheyi Ojo have improved under McCarthy. It’s not just an improvement in individuals though.

I’d always contended that playing with three at the back would solve so many problems in the team, but it was like theory and practice, it all sounded perfectly sensible, but as soon as City tried to put it into practice on the pitch, it all went wrong and I think it had been long accepted that this group of players couldn’t play an effective three at the back system, yet as soon as we started using it about an hour into McCarthys first match, we’ve looked comfortable with it.

As for my main bugbear, our passing in midfield, that’s still far from perfect, but having Marlon Pack playing well improves it a fair bit and, for me, players such as Pack and Nelson are doing so much better, while Flint looks so much secure than he did last season. The players were never as poor as they were looking six weeks ago, but the transformation has been marked in such a short time.

Re: Come on. Hands up. Whos willing to admit they were wrong

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Me. In saying that, I soon became a bit more optimistic once I’d reminded myself of some of his work earlier in his managerial career (I allowed myself to be influenced too much by his time at Ipswich and his second spell with Ireland). Most impressive for me has been the improvements where it was hard to see how there could be any. Josh Murphy has already been mentioned, but I think Harry Wilson and Sheyi Ojo have improved under McCarthy. It’s not just an improvement in individuals though.
    I’d always contended that playing with three at the back would solve so many problems in the team, but it was like theory and practice, it all sounded perfectly sensible, but as soon as City tried to put it into practice on the pitch, it all went wrong and I think it had been long accepted that this group of players couldn’t play an effective three at the back system, yet as soon as we started using it about an hour into McCarthys first match, we’ve looked comfortable with it.
    As for my main bugbear, our passing in midfield, that’s still far from perfect, but having Marlon Pack playing well improves it a fair bit and, for me, players such as Pack and Nelson are doing so much better, while Flint looks so much secure than he did last season. The players were never as poor as they were looking six weeks ago, but the transformation has been marked in such a short time.
    There's been a difference in how Pack is playing in my opinion. It seems that he's being encouraged to 'Get on the ball' as opposed to just receiving it and acting as a pivot for our lack of movement in almost every position ahead of him under the previous manager, and Warnock. Pack seems much more mobile, more willing to follow a pass, get into little pockets of space in order to keep the move going. There's much more of an urgency about his play. He actually has options ahead of him now with NG and Bennett joining the attack. Previously there were none, he'd have to put his foot on the ball and go sideways, hence any momentum breaking down and Pack receiving some quite unfair criticism. He's even leaving a bit on the opposition and putting his foot in. Much better, although tonight will be a test.