+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Come on. Hands up. Whos willing to admit they were wrong

Come on. Hands up. Whos willing to admit they were wrong

about Mick McCarthy? I certainly am.

I have been pleasantly surprised, I thought we were going to get Warnock Ball on steroids when we appointed Big Mick, especially as we needed to stop the rot. I thought we would get safety first, defensive football, isolated lone striker and play with a draw first, hope to nick a winner from a set piece mentality which we saw under Warnock and the way Mick set up his Ipswich team last time he managed in this division.

However, the change of shape with wing backs and playing the wingers inside behind the striker has worked a treat so far. Yes we still rely on set pieces to a certain to a degree but its one of our strengths so why not? but we have also scored some lovely goals from open play.

I was dreading the thought of Mick doing well enough to get a longer deal but now I think jts a no brainer.

Well done Mick and TC.

Re: Come on. Hands up. Whos willing to admit they were wrong

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

I have been pleasantly surprised, I thought we were going to get Warnock Ball on steroids when we appointed Big Mick, especially as we needed to stop the rot. I thought we would get safety first, defensive football, isolated lone striker and play with a draw first, hope to nick a winner from a set piece mentality which we saw under Warnock and the way Mick set up his Ipswich team last time he managed in this division.

However, the change of shape with wing backs and playing the wingers inside behind the striker has worked a treat so far. Yes we still rely on set pieces to a certain to a degree but its one of our strengths so why not? but we have also scored some lovely goals from open play.

I was dreading the thought of Mick doing well enough to get a longer deal but now I think jts a no brainer.

Well done Mick and TC.
    For sure, you form an orderly queue and we can all line up behind you......

Me, I'm surprised at his attitude to go out and win games, we press much higher as a unit, there's more work rate and urgency involved in our play. It's still a bit old school and we have tougher tests ahead against better opposition, but all in all, it's looking positive and there's a bit of bravery on display. Murphy looking motivated with his game simplified is credit to Mick and TC.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Me, I'm surprised at his attitude to go out and win games, we press much higher as a unit, there's more work rate and urgency involved in our play. It's still a bit old school and we have tougher tests ahead against better opposition, but all in all, it's looking positive and there's a bit of bravery on display. Murphy looking motivated with his game simplified is credit to Mick and TC.
    Absolutely. I still think a fit Kiefer Moore is key to it all but so far, so good. The arm around the shoulder with Murphy and leaving Wilson out initially so he come back with the "Ill prove you wrong" mentality has worked wonders. Thats where managerial experience comes into I suppose. Knowing who needs a bit of loving and who needs a kick up the backside.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    For sure, you form an orderly queue and we can all line up behind you......
    Happy to be first off the plank. I didnt want to mention Harris as the threads about Mick but I certainly wont be hoping Mick fails so I can say "I told you so" like some did with Harris. Id rather hold my hands up and say Mick has proved me wrong. So far anyway.

I was very underwhelmed but he's been great. Comes across must more forward thinking than Warnock too.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I was very underwhelmed but he's been great. Comes across must more forward thinking than Warnock too.
    And much more genuine too

International

Does this mean you'll change your avitar from a Mr Grumpy McCarthy to a Mr happy McCarthy?

As much as I enjoyed Warnock being our manager, you felt it was all about him; what he had achieved, the number of promotions, how he was perceived by opposition fans etc etc. MM doesn't seem that way inclined and as you say he's much more genuine too.

To say I was disappointed when he got the job would be a massive understatement but fair play to him, in only seven games he has completely changed the mindset of the players, instilled self-belief and made significant tactical changes. Quite astonishing really.

Hes doing a great job. V Preston Bennett running into the box and a follow up shot by Ng.

V Millwall I didnt get why we kept 3 at the back and didnt change it. But hes kept the system and its worked.

As Harris needed credit for getting the best out of Tomlin the same has to be said of Mick with Murphy.

Unless they have someone lined up with a plan for a totally change of direction football wise then he deserves a longer deal. He can then decide on who he wants at the club next year and think about players he wants to keep.

100%! and very down to earth

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Does this mean you'll change your avitar from a Mr Grumpy McCarthy to a Mr happy McCarthy?
    No

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    As much as I enjoyed Warnock being our manager, you felt it was all about him; what he had achieved, the number of promotions, how he was perceived by opposition fans etc etc. MM doesn't seem that way inclined and as you say he's much more genuine too.

To say I was disappointed when he got the job would be a massive understatement but fair play to him, in only seven games he has completely changed the mindset of the players, instilled self-belief and made significant tactical changes. Quite astonishing really.
    Yep. Fully agree on all points made. Good post.

Me. In saying that, I soon became a bit more optimistic once I’d reminded myself of some of his work earlier in his managerial career (I allowed myself to be influenced too much by his time at Ipswich and his second spell with Ireland). Most impressive for me has been the improvements where it was hard to see how there could be any. Josh Murphy has already been mentioned, but I think Harry Wilson and Sheyi Ojo have improved under McCarthy. It’s not just an improvement in individuals though.

I’d always contended that playing with three at the back would solve so many problems in the team, but it was like theory and practice, it all sounded perfectly sensible, but as soon as City tried to put it into practice on the pitch, it all went wrong and I think it had been long accepted that this group of players couldn’t play an effective three at the back system, yet as soon as we started using it about an hour into McCarthys first match, we’ve looked comfortable with it.

As for my main bugbear, our passing in midfield, that’s still far from perfect, but having Marlon Pack playing well improves it a fair bit and, for me, players such as Pack and Nelson are doing so much better, while Flint looks so much secure than he did last season. The players were never as poor as they were looking six weeks ago, but the transformation has been marked in such a short time.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Me. In saying that, I soon became a bit more optimistic once I’d reminded myself of some of his work earlier in his managerial career (I allowed myself to be influenced too much by his time at Ipswich and his second spell with Ireland). Most impressive for me has been the improvements where it was hard to see how there could be any. Josh Murphy has already been mentioned, but I think Harry Wilson and Sheyi Ojo have improved under McCarthy. It’s not just an improvement in individuals though.
    I’d always contended that playing with three at the back would solve so many problems in the team, but it was like theory and practice, it all sounded perfectly sensible, but as soon as City tried to put it into practice on the pitch, it all went wrong and I think it had been long accepted that this group of players couldn’t play an effective three at the back system, yet as soon as we started using it about an hour into McCarthys first match, we’ve looked comfortable with it.
    As for my main bugbear, our passing in midfield, that’s still far from perfect, but having Marlon Pack playing well improves it a fair bit and, for me, players such as Pack and Nelson are doing so much better, while Flint looks so much secure than he did last season. The players were never as poor as they were looking six weeks ago, but the transformation has been marked in such a short time.
    There's been a difference in how Pack is playing in my opinion. It seems that he's being encouraged to 'Get on the ball' as opposed to just receiving it and acting as a pivot for our lack of movement in almost every position ahead of him under the previous manager, and Warnock. Pack seems much more mobile, more willing to follow a pass, get into little pockets of space in order to keep the move going. There's much more of an urgency about his play. He actually has options ahead of him now with NG and Bennett joining the attack. Previously there were none, he'd have to put his foot on the ball and go sideways, hence any momentum breaking down and Pack receiving some quite unfair criticism. He's even leaving a bit on the opposition and putting his foot in. Much better, although tonight will be a test.

I was. Just before Mick was appointed but was the bookies favourite I said I liked him a lot but didn't want him as Cardiff manager.

That was based on the assumption that it would be a long term deal and also based on my misunderstanding of what Mick had done and achieved in previous jobs - especially Ipswich in the last few years there.

I'm still not sure Mick is the long term answer - but neither do I think the manager appointment this summer is the only (maybe not even the main) factor in ensuring long-term success for Cardiff City FC.

Overall Mick has been a massive positive on and off the pitch. The no ego straight talking (he takes any blame, TC and the players get the credit), the formation change to suit the squad strengths, the tactical flexibility that goes with that, the ability to change things mid game (Harris lost that if he ever had it), the hands on coaching (obvious from club video clips and player interviews - most recently the excellent Will Vaulks post-Preston interview), the seemingly genuine interest in the Academy and most of all the man management skills shown with all the squad, but most obviously with Murphy.

It may be that younger players will not get fast tracked into the first team through the back end of this season (although Harris, Bagan, Brown and maybe Sang seem to have ensured bench positions) once the injury list clears up. But I have more confidence now with the quality and results from u18 and u23 teams on display, and with first Harris and Morison, and now McCarthy backing the fine words with action, that we are finally starting to grow our own team.

The main issues for the club are about clarity of strategy and direction and having the right skills and experience in place to deliver. I was in favour of a DOF and a young, driven and ambitious manager like Bellamy. But there are other ways to skin a cat, and if the Club has put in place new faces and deeper experience in the Academy, in the recruitment department, and in other coaching and staff roles, maybe we don't need that formalised on the Board or through a DOF, and maybe a grizzled and plain-speaking coach who has seen it all like Mick, is the right fit for the next few years?

He and TC have done well, obviously, but I think you're reaching conclusions too quickly again in terms of calling for him to get a longer term deal. We'll know a lot more about what he can do with a squad by 6pm on 2nd of April at which point we can, if things have gone well, ask him what his plans going forward would be.

We lost a number of players at the end of this year, a number of players enter the final year of their deal and will want to talk extensions and there are a number of youth players deserving a bigger chance. It could be that Mick's experience and calm personality is exactly what is needed or we might need someone willing to think longer term again.

Anyone who remembers the fabulous exploits of his Irish teams and listened to his TV pundits comments will know the worth of the man.

Forget the Wolves/Ipswich/etc scenarios when he was working with his hands tied because of there being no money.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Anyone who remembers the fabulous exploits of his Irish teams and listened to his TV pundits comments will know the worth of the man.

Forget the Wolves/Ipswich/etc scenarios when he was working with his hands tied because of there being no money.
    I seem to remember one of the main issues at Ipswich was him being less than keen to get Bersant Celina in the side. Looking at Celina's stats that year, MM may still have done the best job with him out of any manager but not every issue at Ipswich was based on hands being tied, and if it was then we'll need to know what he's going to do with shrinking budget next year.

Initially yes I thought it was an awful appointment until they confirmed it was until the end of the season.
    Then it made perfect sense, obviously a better manager than Harris, the perfect kind of short term appointment to get some results. The problem was always Harris rather than the players so while I'm surprised at 5 wins on the bounce I didn't think it would take much for us to push well clear of the drop.

Hopefully the club is now spending this time wisely in making sure we appoint the correct long term appointment.

Does what it states on the tin.

After all, football is not rocket science

Well done Mick and TC.
    Ditto... I’m re-energized and no longer disillusioned 👍

No
    Keep it, it must be a good omen

i dont think ive been negative to him so i feel ok with his placement

Well done Mick and TC.
    Agree wholeheartedly - I thought he was a Warnock with less frills, a disaster of an appointment - I was wrong and shouldn't go on public forums calling people all sorts and telling them to **** off when I haven't even bothered to do the least bit of research or give the pair any time/opportunity to prove themselves.

I am a reactionary bumble-clart, but I already knew that. What I didn't know is that Mick McCarthy is such a sexy bastard and that him and TC are basically very talented and WE'RE GOING UP AS ****ING CHAMPIONS!