+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Come on. Hands up. Whos willing to admit they were wrong

Re: Come on. Hands up. Whos willing to admit they were wrong

Great thread...I was really disappointed when we signed MM + TC my thinking was another old cnut like Warnock who ground me down by the end of his one man show. I am happy to be proved wrong Mick & TC have done a remarkable job and what a turnaround.

My view now though is if we miss out on promotion this year I think MM has earned an extension for another season and lets see what is recruitment is like next season. but if we get promoted this season or next then I would say don't make the same mistake that I believe we made with Warnock.

Heisenberg

So far... So wrong. Long may he continue proving me wrong too

The players actually look like they are enjoying and believe in the style of football they are playing !!
    Yes, there is long ball but there does appear to be more of a thought behind that i.e. having Murphy, Ojo Wilson etc playing more centrally looking for the second ball from Moore with the wing backs giving the width.

Its not the lump it up to the isolated striker with the "wingers" (who rarely took their full back on to get to the bye line and cross!!) on either touch line running to try catch up with the play having just chased back to help cover their defensive duties.

Well done Mick and TC , long may it continue!!

As a foot note to be fair to Harris, I think his work in the transfer market wasn't that bad ( 4 were in Saturday's starting XI with 2 more on the bench and Osei-Tutu injured).
    He also did start putting a lot more focus on the academy and age groups with some changes to staff that now seem to be producing some results after it had all stagnated ( not sure how much input Harris had with the appointments) but he had promoted a couple of youngsters like Bagan and Harris.
    Mick has already moved this on even further getting youngsters into first team training and being involved in the match day experience, which is great to see and can only benefit the club further down the line if these players develop !

I'll hold my hands up. I was underwhelmed by the appointment of MM and I thought he was mad when we started playing three at the back with both Flint and Morrison. However, the change of shape seems to have unlocked the entire team, so there is probably a good reason that MM has been a football manager for almost 30 years and I'm just posting nonsense on this message board.

I doubt if many could now say with any justification that MM was a mistake. Of course the same could have been said at a certain point in time of Neil Harris who miraculously got us to the play offs last season. Knowing how fickle football supporters are it will only take a few losses for minds to change about MM. A bad run will resurrect comments about MM being the wrong person, a dinosaur who would employ old fashioned tactics and form a team that is unattractive to watch etc etc. However, so far so good. MM looks like a good appointment today but who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Harris must be doing a lot of soul searching at the moment.If theres one thing that MM has achieved its making Harris look a bit silly and a few fans apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Harris must be doing a lot of soul searching at the moment.If theres one thing that MM has achieved its making Harris look a bit silly and a few fans apparently.
    I almost feel sorry for Harris - Unlikely he'll be getting a championship level job again any time soon IMO.

Underwhelmed at first, and then thought it might be the way for us to plan for the future. Well, the future is Mick

Doing an absolutely unbelievable job, getting a tune out of everyone and playing to our strengths, while also being exciting. He's also made our long throws half decent

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I was very underwhelmed but he's been great. Comes across must more forward thinking than Warnock too.
    exactly this

100% me. Can't remember exactly what I posted but something as blunt as "I don't want him as manager". Lovely.

I'm always prepared to give people the benefit of doubt and a chance to prove themselves. Writing someone off, with his experience, before hes even looked at the squad list is daft and (so far) have been proved wrong.
    So many people always want a young progressive, ambitious manager, but our most successful appointments again and again have been older experienced heads.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I'm always prepared to give people the benefit of doubt and a chance to prove themselves. Writing someone off, with his experience, before hes even looked at the squad list is daft and (so far) have been proved wrong.
    So many people always want a young progressive, ambitious manager, but our most successful appointments again and again have been older experienced heads.
    Malky Mackay?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Malky Mackay?
    Except him obvs.😁
    Warnock, Jones, McCarthy on one hand. Harris, Trollope, OGS on the other.

I wasn’t sure what to expect but would not have believed what has been achieved to be possible.

Most of us believed that our players were better than their performances and it’s been great to see the improvement in individuals.
    To see the tactics change, the confidence build.

I always thought that the guys put in a reasonable shift even if not effective but the work rate now is phenomenal and to see the guys hunting the ball in all parts of the pitch, the pressing, the running has been great.

The other noticeable change over the last few matches has been our ability to retain the ball and reduced times of giving the ball away although we can still be better at that and certainly when playing out of defence.

It’s clearly been brilliant so far. The team looks energised snd they are playing with purpose.

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves, though. He didn’t have much of an act to follow in terms of first team performance and although he’s done a fantastic job, some of that is down to having a generally decent squad that was massively underachieving, which needed tweaking.

Sterner tests await, which will inform us as to where we are, but he’s delivered in spades, so far.

I still doubt he’s the long term answer, but this being Cardiff City, he’ll probably get a two year deal and be sacked in January 2022.

Don’t forget, at the end of last season, there was a similar thread about Neil Harris and that didn’t turn out too well.

As an aside, I’m starting a new job on Monday at a company called McKarthy!
    Last edited by The Hooded Claw; 25-02-21 at 12:01. Reason: Typo

He's proved everyone wrong hasn't he? No one could have foreseen this. I always thought our squad was better, and was perplexed as to how they looked so awful, and about what could be one to change it. I was not enthused by MM's appointment. But you have to say that so far, he has not put a foot wrong. He's got everyone in the team playing better as individuals, the shape of the team looks better, you can't fault the effort and drive. I didn't think Vaulks and Pack worked together, but they do. I didn't think we had the right players for a back three, but we do. And finally, Aden Flint? What can I say? He's playing like a captain. I was definitely wrong about him.

I never liked MMc, it was always a big joke between me and my dad that he was just constantly dour and miserable whenever I saw him on tv. That coupled with the need for a proper change meant I was hugely underwhelmed when he came onboard. Early days but I feel like an idiot now, he's been brilliant, can't fault him

Except him obvs.��
    Dave Jones was 48 when he came to Cardiff.

Happy to admit that i called for Mick in a thread all the way back on the 23/10/19 before Harris joined. Also backed him up as the rumours started and when he was hired.

I have seen lots of posts, that see Ipswich as a bad stain in his CV.

But I have always been under the impression he did really well at Ipswich? Didn't they refuse to spend money for years and years, the fact he kept them a mid table championship side for so long under terrible conditions was a good achievement.
    Proven by what has consequently happened to them as soon as he left.

I also remember MM's Ipswich being a very difficult game for Cardiff whenever we travelled there.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    I have seen lots of posts, that see Ipswich as a bad stain in his CV.

But I have always been under the impression he did really well at Ipswich? Didn't they refuse to spend money for years and years, the fact he kept them a mid table championship side for so long under terrible conditions was a good achievement.
    Proven by what has consequently happened to them as soon as he left.

I also remember MM's Ipswich being a very difficult game for Cardiff whenever we travelled there.
    If he gets a contract extension, which at this stage looks a certainty, it will be interesting to see whether the board will give him the financial backing to develop the team, something he was denied at Ipswich.

One thing we can say about Harris is that that the vast majority of his acquisitions have been successful, certainly much more so than his predecessors. It is a given that any players MM sign will be have the right mental attitude to succeed. Hopefully, like Harris he has an eye for a decent footballer too.

the board in general likes to moan and groan

Except him obvs.😁
    How could you possibly miss out Russel Slade?

Get Harris in on the transfer committee

Mick McCarthy on Celtic shortlist, if you believe WOL?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-city-19914547