+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bournemouth Message board

Bournemouth Message board

Re: Bournemouth Message board

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post

There are people on that match thread saying we'll go and play football and that we're a well run club, is there another Cardiff that they mixed us up with?

Think this eloquent quote puts it all into perspective

"We are s**t. The formation was s**t. Woodgate is s**t."

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    Brilliant!

'Cardiff players put in real effort and closed down all over the pitch some were exhausted at the end whilst our lot of strutting wantabes coasted through most of the match.'

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    There are people on that match thread saying we'll go and play football and that we're a well run club, is there another Cardiff that they mixed us up with?
    To be fair, I would say we are a well run club

Credit to Bournemouth fans. The are not moaning or whinging about us after losing to us... they are quite rightly directing some criticism to their own team. In fact quite a few of their fans are giving us a lot of credit for the amount of pressing we did that they couldn't cope with. I didn't think Bournemouth were bad in the second half, but we were just horrible and uncompromising.

This has been an utterly bizarre season for Cardiff City. It’s been famine or feast. There was always a good squad there. You finished fifth last season and have added Moore, Wilson. Ojo and now Ng. Good players at this level. I bet Murphy also feels like a new signing
    In reality you were badly underachieving under Harris.
    However I cannot recall a season when a club has gone from potential relegation candidates to a play off position inside a month. Astonishing.

It's the difference between management skills, MM has that ability to get the best out of a decent squad
    Going back, didn't Ian Dowie transform Palaces fortunes in a similar manner, I'm sure they were near the bottom and went on a great run, ending up getting promoted via the play offs?

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    This has been an utterly bizarre season for Cardiff City. It’s been famine or feast. There was always a good squad there. You finished fifth last season and have added Moore, Wilson. Ojo and now Ng. Good players at this level. I bet Murphy also feels like a new signing
    In reality you were badly underachieving under Harris.
    However I cannot recall a season when a club has gone from potential relegation candidates to a play off position inside a month. Astonishing.
    It certainly has been a bizarre season so far for us (we've only won four games outside of our two long winning runs) and the league (Bournemouth dreadful for couple of months before dropping out of top six, Rotherham and Wednesday have been fantastic for long periods of time but still in bottom three) and there is a lot more football to go.

By my estimation we've used just 15 players in our two runs of good form this year. In the Preston thread you said this about Reading, quoted below, and while there were other issues earlier in the year I think it factors into our bad patches and why expectations should be managed about this latest good patch:

Its also a gruelling season with games coming thick and fast and our small squad is now struggling.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    'Cardiff players put in real effort and closed down all over the pitch some were exhausted at the end whilst our lot of strutting wantabes coasted through most of the match.'
    It's so interesting as that's what a lot of us were saying about our players near the end with NH. I'm convinced football at this level is so much about man management and getting players to knuckle down and and play as a team. Look at the gulf in results MM and NW managed compared to their predecessors.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    It's so interesting as that's what a lot of us were saying about our players near the end with NH. I'm convinced football at this level is so much about man management and getting players to knuckle down and and play as a team. Look at the gulf in results MM and NW managed compared to their predecessors.
    Leeds took a year to build a promotion winning side on the back of expansive football. If NW and MM can get results so much more quickly it's because going back to basics is a better strategy, in the short-term, and easier to coach. It can even help first year of the premier league but if your play is too basic you're going to struggle after that.

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    It's the difference between management skills, MM has that ability to get the best out of a decent squad
    Going back, didn't Ian Dowie transform Palaces fortunes in a similar manner, I'm sure they were near the bottom and went on a great run, ending up getting promoted via the play offs?
    Roy Keane took Sunderland from the relegation places to top of the league in the same season (I think). 06-07 maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Leeds took a year to build a promotion winning side on the back of expansive football. If NW and MM can get results so much more quickly it's because going back to basics is a better strategy, in the short-term, and easier to coach. It can even help first year of the premier league but if your play is too basic you're going to struggle after that.
    Incredible. I was one of those posters who were predicting a tough relegation fight 6 weeks ago.
    Last night we broke into the top 6 and I phoned a friend to suggest we could remain in a play off place.
    His reaction was “in the kind of form you are in, I wouldn’t rule out reaching an automatic place”.
    Sounds ridiculous but a win at Middlesbrough on Saturday and I just might start to believe we can chase down that 10 point gap