+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has Tomlin a place in a MM side?

Re: Has Tomlin a place in a MM side?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Selective memories from some posters on here.

Tomlin doesn't work hard and doesn't track back? That's just lazy stereotyping of him. When he had that incredible run of games during the good run we had last season he was sometimes sprinting almost the length of the entire pitch to prevent a counter attack. This was 60+ mins into the games too.

Didn't Harris say that he picked up one of his injuries chasing back in training too?

Yes l, of course he's injury prone, but he's also the most talented footballer we've had in years. There's absolutely a place for a fit Tomlin in this team, even if it's bringing him on as a sub if we're chasing a game.
    Tomlin busted a gut to get in shape for last season. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like he's repeated the effort, or perhaps he's simply unable to.

There's absolutely a place for a fit Tomlin in this team, even if it's bringing him on as a sub if we're chasing a game.
    Maybe if there was such a thing as a fit Tomlin.

Looking at those pictures of him, I’m waiting for my invitation to play in the under-23s!

Whilst he scored some important goals for us last year, he’s now a year older, out of shape and one more bad injury than last year. As things are, I’d say he’s miles away from the first team and I can’t see a way in for him.

Thanks for the memories, fella.

How can you play a high press with someone that doesn’t run. The only way Tomlin plays is if Moore doesn’t

Probably should be mentioned that he got injured desperately trying to help us win a play-off game. He does not look near fit in those photos though.

Quote Originally Posted by gabbsthenewt View Post
    Unfortunately he looks about 5 stone overweight

Attachment 4327

He's a stone overweight because he's grown a third leg in that photo

Attachment 4328

Attachment 4329

Tomlin doesn't work hard and doesn't track back? That's just lazy stereotyping of him. When he had that incredible run of games during the good run we had last season he was sometimes sprinting almost the length of the entire pitch to prevent a counter attack. This was 60+ mins into the games too.

Didn't Harris say that he picked up one of his injuries chasing back in training too?

Yes l, of course he's injury prone, but he's also the most talented footballer we've had in years. There's absolutely a place for a fit Tomlin in this team, even if it's bringing him on as a sub if we're chasing a game.
    He does chase down but then he’s blowing after it at his best he’s a joy to watch but model athlete he ain’t.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Maybe if there was such a thing as a fit Tomlin.

Looking at those pictures of him, I’m waiting for my invitation to play in the under-23s!

Whilst he scored some important goals for us last year, he’s now a year older, out of shape and one more bad injury than last year. As things are, I’d say he’s miles away from the first team and I can’t see a way in for him.

Thanks for the memories, fella.
    Well if you're saying that those performances last season came from an 'unfit' Tomlin then there's a place for an 'unfit' Tomlin in our side too.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    He does chase down but then he’s blowing after it at his best he’s a joy to watch but model athlete he ain’t.
    Nobody is suggesting that he's a model athlete. Certainly not me.

Read the post again and the point that I was arguing. Some posters have called him lazy and said he doesn't chase down. That's wrong. Nothing to do with his athleticism (or lack thereof).

International

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    He slimmed down massively for last season. What sort of professional footballer allows himself to regain so much weight previously shed due to hard work on his part in a space of 5 months or so? This is a massive pity for him and the City. He looked at least 1.5 stone too heavy to me playing for the under 23s.
    If he had truly professional standards he wouldn't have had to slim down massively for last season, he'd have already been there. I don't understand why people cannot see that all the sudden fitness and the agent's talk of him 'having had problems' and 'being in a better place' were directly focused on him getting a new contract. The idiots gave it to him so now he is fat again. Surprise surprise!!

He had no interest in being a proper professional, if he had he would have played at the highest level, but he doesn't.

I do see him playing this season coming off the bench, but only if we are losing the game and pressurising the opposition who are defending for their lives because they are protecting their lead.

He is able to thread a pass through the eye of a needle and he is a danger at free kicks around the opposition box.
    However, the way MM is setting up, i.e. with the high press and everybody taking their turn to close down the ball when we don't have it, it would be like playing with ten men.

From the pictures posted above, I couldn't even see him being able to get back onside when our attack breaks down let alone track back with a breaking opposition player.

Shocking photos but unsurprising.

Attachment 4327
    Attachment 4328
    Attachment 4329
    them picture are both shocking and extremely sad

He is s.posed to be a professional footballer, he is never going to play a part in this season carrying that extra weight even if you ignore MM high press and high work rate setup, he looks like a sunday pub team player

How anyone can defend Lee at that weight is beyond me

As a starter? I can't see it. Actually, I'd be surprised if Tomlin ever plays for us again.

Well if you're saying that those performances last season came from an 'unfit' Tomlin then there's a place for an 'unfit' Tomlin in our side too.
    No. I’m saying that since last year, he’s picked up a bad injury, lost his fitness and is, of course, a year older.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Tomlin has the skills of a Premier League Player but the fitness of a Parks player! A professional footballer should never be overweight, injured or not!
    And certainly not that shape very poor and sad.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    No. I’m saying that since last year, he’s picked up a bad injury, lost his fitness and is, of course, a year older.
    He had a bad injury, lost his fitness and was a year or two older than when he was when Warnock dropped him when Harris brought him into the fold.

We all know how that turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    And certainly not that shape very poor and sad.
    its embarrassing to be honest

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    If he had truly professional standards he wouldn't have had to slim down massively for last season, he'd have already been there. I don't understand why people cannot see that all the sudden fitness and the agent's talk of him 'having had problems' and 'being in a better place' were directly focused on him getting a new contract. The idiots gave it to him so now he is fat again. Surprise surprise!!

He had no interest in being a proper professional, if he had he would have played at the highest level, but he doesn't.
    Well said!

Thats not 5 stone overweight ff sake

If he loses a stone he will be fine

Class player to bring on when we are cruising to break teams down further as they chase the game

I love to watch him play but the reality is that he's a luxury item rather than a fully functioning part of the machine and I'm beginning to realise that Harry Wilson is a bit like that too.
    If we want to progress properly then we need to be able to accommodate one or two players like that because they're match winners and fantastic to watch, but whether we can afford them at this stage in the rough and tumble of the second league is debatable.

Attachment 4327
    Attachment 4328
    Attachment 4329
    That's poor, he looks way off.

Totally agree, I don't think we've had such a naturally gifted player on our books since maybe Koumas. Tomlin has that special quality of creating winning opportunities out of nothing.

That said he's obviously got a weight problem and that's his Achilles heel. If only we had a really fit Tomlin on our hands then we might be able to forget the play offs and go up automatically.

Sadly, I see MM only using him sparingly, if at all, and if Mick is confirmed as manager next season Tomlin will be on his way out. I wish it were otherwise.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Totally agree, I don't think we've had such a naturally gifted player on our books since maybe Koumas. Tomlin has that special quality of creating winning opportunities out of nothing.

That said he's obviously got a weight problem and that's his Achilles heel. If only we had a really fit Tomlin on our hands then we might be able to forget the play offs and go up automatically.

Sadly, I see MM only using him sparingly, if at all, and if Mick is confirmed as manager next season Tomlin will be on his way out. I wish it were otherwise.
    What has he done for us in the last 4 seasons?

International

Since he signed for us he has played in 34 games in all competitions and that is including as sub or being subbed. In those games he has scored 11 goals.
    This season he played in 5 games and of those we drew 1 and lost 2. some gamechanger.
    Given a recorded cost of £2,900,0000 that works out at about £85,300/game or part of a game, and as £263.600 goal scored.

That is not even considering the wages he had put in his back pocket in the process and the cost of his medical treatment. You can add another £5 million+ just for his wages.

There is no way anyone can justify that as his being an asset to the club. No way!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    What has he done for us in the last 4 seasons?
    Nothing then spoke about his problems, got fit and fired us into the playoffs. Is it you who is suggesting it was all about getting a contract? Must admit I was that cynical when that article came out but think it's a tad unfair to say it now.

International

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Nothing then spoke about his problems, got fit and fired us into the playoffs. Is it you who is suggesting it was all about getting a contract? Must admit I was that cynical when that article came out but think it's a tad unfair to say it now.
    I can't see why it is unfair to say it now. look at the stats. Yes I agree it was me who said it was all about getting a new contract and nothing he has done since has indicated anything different to me.
    I hear so many people saying "He fired us into the playoffs". We lost them. So we were really no better off than if we hadn't got there, although for us supporters it was a good ride. He is as fat and lazy now as he was when we sent him out on loan because he was useless. His refusal to move closer so he could train with the team properly doesn't exactly smack of a totally committed member of the squad does it?
    He flatters to deceive. Look at what he has cost and the return for it. I think its a no-brainer.