+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has Tomlin a place in a MM side?

Has Tomlin a place in a MM side?

MM said today that Tomlin was nowhere near ready to play the way Wilson and Murphy do. Given that his fitness has never been at the sort of level that you need to play a pressing game, I doubt we will ever see him start while MM is in charge, and a place on the bench even, not guaranteed.

Re: Has Tomlin a place in a MM side?

he played in that formation for the u23s against Bristol

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    he played in that formation for the u23s against Bristol
    I cannot see MM happy with 25-30 minute cameo roles, which is now all Tomlin can offer.

I've felt since he arrived when he talks about Tomlin he isn't keen.

If the rumors about attitude are true then no he has no future with no nonsense Mick, think he spotted Wilson has petulance and that is why he may have initially benched him , however he has got Murphy working so who knows .

I wonder if Tomlin will never be fit or fast around the pitch for Micks high up pressing game , Mick likes nippy forwards /midfielders/wing backs closing down creating error .

International

He'll only play if they have a game in the treatment room.

He looks a bit chunky in the u23 videos. However, if we're 1-0 down with 15-20 to play I'd chuck him on. He's got that magic that few players at this level have. Mick seems less than impressed by his fitness levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He looks a bit chunky in the u23 videos. However, if we're 1-0 down with 15-20 to play I'd chuck him on. He's got that magic that few players at this level have. Mick seems less than impressed by his fitness levels.
    That’s my thinking, I’m not sure if even a very fit Tomlin would be able to press opposition players for an hour like Wilson and Murphy have been doing lately, but that shouldn’t stop him being on the bench to come on and, hopefully, influence games in the last half an hour - never mind us, there are not many sides in this division with players to come off the bench who can do what an in form Tomlin can.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    MM said today that Tomlin was nowhere near ready to play the way Wilson and Murphy do. Given that his fitness has never been at the sort of level that you need to play a pressing game, I doubt we will ever see him start while MM is in charge, and a place on the bench even, not guaranteed.
    I believe you're right. To play MM's style of pressing football requires stamina, I doubt Tomlin will get anywhere near the level needed.

As others have said, I would be very surprised if Tomlin starts a game under MM. He is just not the type of player to close down the opposition, which seems to be the mainstay of MM's tactics so far. However, if we're chasing a game and look like we're running out of ideas, a fully fit Tomlin would seem to be the ideal solution. So yes, I believe he does have an important part to play, just not as a starter

It saddens me that we have a player with the talent of Tomlin and he isnt guaranteed some time on the field.
    He doesn't chase back enough?
    So what! he has fantastic talent , he changes and wins games.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    It saddens me that we have a player with the talent of Tomlin and he isnt guaranteed some time on the field.
    But he is lazy totally unreliable and doesn't give a toss. He isn't brilliant or anything else when he is sitting on his arse in the treatment room taking his wages week after week. Even recovering from injury is fraught with complications when he is not fit enough to train in the first place. And he doesn't change games for the better when he gets red carded for fouling someone he cannot cope with because of his own unfitness.
    Waste of space.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    But he is lazy totally unreliable and doesn't give a toss. He isn't brilliant or anything else when he is sitting on his arse in the treatment room taking his wages week after week. Even recovering from injury is fraught with complications when he is not fit enough to train in the first place. And he doesn't change games for the better when he gets red carded for fouling someone he cannot cope with because of his own unfitness.
    Waste of space.
    I know.
    I forgot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    it's not just he doesn't chase back - we've been making chances recently by aggressively pressing opposition defenders, hunting them down in packs.
    if someone isn't willing or able to join in with that then It becomes really ineffective.
    yes he can create something from nothing when he's got the ball, but the way we are playing at the moment we hardly have the ball

We've seen how effective Murphy, Wilson, Ojo can be behind Moore but we also know, maybe, Moore cannot play 90 minutes every game. We have our first choice formation and personal but need something behind that.

Tomlin, as the best out and out 10, behind Harris and Watters would give opposition something different to think about, give Moore a rest and be more threatening than Harris or Watters up front on their own or, probably, with one of the aforementioned attacking midfielders behind them. Harris and Watters can then do bulk of the work Wilson, Murphy, Ojo have been doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    it's not just he doesn't chase back - we've been making chances recently by aggressively pressing opposition defenders, hunting them down in packs.
    if someone isn't willing or able to join in with that then It becomes really ineffective.
    yes he can create something from nothing when he's got the ball, but the way we are playing at the moment we hardly have the ball
    Premier league here we come.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post

And so he should be not impressed , yes he's been injured but he could do other fitness work. I think the man is a show pony albeit a talented one and he rests on that than skill, rather than doing the hard graft in training week in and out .

I read on another football clubs board that he always ups his game in the last year of his contract ??

He slimmed down massively for last season. What sort of professional footballer allows himself to regain so much weight previously shed due to hard work on his part in a space of 5 months or so? This is a massive pity for him and the City. He looked at least 1.5 stone too heavy to me playing for the under 23s.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    He slimmed down massively for last season. What sort of professional footballer allows himself to regain so much weight previously shed due to hard work on his part in a space of 5 months or so? This is a massive pity for him and the City. He looked at least 1.5 stone too heavy to me playing for the under 23s.
    I've been reliably informed that his hip/groin issue is an issue which won't go away, despite having treatment and an op. He'll be a 20 minute cameo player at best,one he's lost weight and wins the manager's trust. He is both a talisman and a liability in equal measure, which is so frustrating. I was told this ages ago and posted it on here. He's, apparently, not a great influence in the changing room either 🤦*♂️
    Last edited by tomcat; 26-02-21 at 16:33. Reason: Additional info

I've had this feeling for months now that he's going to come on late and score a last-minute winner against the Jacks, and never be heard of again. Don't know why, but I've been sure that this is his destiny for ages now. A bit like Gronk doing nothing all season and scoring 2 TDs in the superbowl, and then likely retiring.

Unfortunately he looks about 5 stone overweight

t1.jpg
    t2.jpg
    t3.jpg

Heisenberg

Selective memories from some posters on here.

Tomlin doesn't work hard and doesn't track back? That's just lazy stereotyping of him. When he had that incredible run of games during the good run we had last season he was sometimes sprinting almost the length of the entire pitch to prevent a counter attack. This was 60+ mins into the games too.

Didn't Harris say that he picked up one of his injuries chasing back in training too?

Yes l, of course he's injury prone, but he's also the most talented footballer we've had in years. There's absolutely a place for a fit Tomlin in this team, even if it's bringing him on as a sub if we're chasing a game.

Quote Originally Posted by gabbsthenewt View Post
    Unfortunately he looks about 5 stone overweight

t1.jpg
    t2.jpg
    t3.jpg
    Tomlin has the skills of a Premier League Player but the fitness of a Parks player! A professional footballer should never be overweight, injured or not!

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    I've had this feeling for months now that he's going to come on late and score a last-minute winner against the Jacks, and never be heard of again. Don't know why, but I've been sure that this is his destiny for ages now. A bit like Gronk doing nothing all season and scoring 2 TDs in the superbowl, and then likely retiring.
    Bit harsh on Gronkowski... he had quite a good regular season, something that Tomlin can't claim, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Bit harsh on Gronkowski... he had quite a good regular season, something that Tomlin can't claim, sadly.
    Gronk basically played as a run-blocker in the regular season. Tomlin is starting to resemble an offensive lineman as well.