+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time machine

Time machine

If you had a time machine that would only go forward, would you step foot in it?

Re: Time machine

The advantages of foresight would be negated if you can’t go back.

So not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    If you had a time machine that would only go forward, would you step foot in it?
    No
    Excellent poser though

Nope. One has a finite amount of time on this planet so I don't see why one would want to speed it up.

Couldn’t the same thing be achieved anyway by going into an induced coma for a few years?

Yes, but I am in my twenties, single with no kids, so I guess I can go enjoy the adventure without much to look back on and miss

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Nope. One has a finite amount of time on this planet so I don't see why one would want to speed it up.

Couldn’t the same thing be achieved anyway by going into an induced coma for a few years?
    But you are not missing out on time, because you will be conscious and present the whole time, your point with a coma is like saying you would be asleep for half your life, which is not the case OP is making, you will still live the same length of time, just in a different time.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    But you are not missing out on time, because you will be conscious and present the whole time, your point with a coma is like saying you would be asleep for half your life, which is not the case OP is making, you will still live the same length of time, just in a different time.
    Oh yeah

Well it is late and the wine has taken its toll on the grey matter

Do you hang in stasis In order for time to catch you up...or do you simply skip time.

This last few years would be different depending 😄

I'll have another go.

Obviously it would depend how far you went but it would be weird, no sad, seeing my kids older, possibly even grandkids which you hadn't seen grow up.

Oh and it would be depressing as feck having missed out on City's Champions League final victory!

No. I wouldn't want to leave my family or my life as it is now. And I probably wouldn't like what I saw in the future. Also, can imagine how confusing it would be for a 50-year-old man from 1971 to end up here? Jesus!

I have always wondered if you went back 500 years, how easy it would be to assimilate into normal life, like would my accent and mannerisms be so strange that I would be unable to settle into society

I used to in every home game I attended it was like an enlightenment and transference to another moment in time.

I have always wondered if you went back 500 years, how easy it would be to assimilate into normal life, like would my accent and mannerisms be so strange that I would be unable to settle into society
    I bet language would be a problem. I'm sure ordinary people didn't speak full-on Shakespeare but I reckon there'd be some confusion.

On the other hand, there'd be loads of viruses that your body has never encountered before so language wouldn't be your major problem for long

Yes, to try and have some faith in the human race restored - we're not a very likeable bunch at the moment.

No chance, the worlds going to shiiiiit, imagine what it will be like in 100 or 200 years? Cardiff will be mainly underwater for starters but folks in places like Gwaelod, Tongwynlais and Radyr and cyncoed will all have nice sea views on their doorsteps....invest there now!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes, to try and have some faith in the human race restored - we're not a very likeable bunch at the moment.
    Come on Bob, you lefties aren’t so bad, it’s those Tories we all need to watch out for......

Hopefully you’d end up in a post-lockdown world!

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Hopefully you’d end up in a post-lockdown world!
    ...and transport the coronavirus to an unsuspecting world, soon to be wiped out.

Are you from The Valleys?

The relationships that define us will have either disappeared or weakened, depending on the timescale concerned.
    It could be totally bewildering on many counts and the objects of many of our passions may no longer exist or be so niche that there are few other individuals to share them with.
    Technology may have advanced so rapidly that it leaves us totally befuddled and feeling like idiots. (A bit like Bluetit perhaps )
    We don't know how things will be regarding international conflicts, crime rates, personal liberty, climate change (including rising tidal levels), poverty, green energy and a myriad of other matters but advances in medicine and science may cure ailments we may currently have or which we may contract in due course.

You have to ask yourself if you prefer another twenty years with the wife here on Earth or:

Have another another 50 years with her in the future or:

Leave her here, take the time machine and replace her with a sexbot that does the washing up.

She may insist on you taking the latter option, of course.

International

But Shirley if you had a time machine that only went forward how would anyone know that it worked?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    No chance, the worlds going to shiiiiit, imagine what it will be like in 100 or 200 years? Cardiff will be mainly underwater for starters but folks in places like Gwaelod, Tongwynlais and Radyr and cyncoed will all have nice sea views on their doorsteps....invest there now!
    Gwaelod would probably be flooded. It's not that far above river level.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Gwaelod would probably be flooded. It's not that far above river level.
    Yeah your right, in fact a few houses got flooded last year.....the ones up by the pub might just survive....

same question, but would you take a one way trip 1000 years into the past?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    same question, but would you take a one way trip 1000 years into the past?
    Into the Dark Ages where nothing of note happened for centuries? No thanks.

Make it Roman times and I'm more interested.