+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff Care Packages

Cardiff Care Packages

Has anyone had any problems with Cardiff Council cutting their care packages

The Council have said after an OT assessment that they want to cut my wife's no of calls from the care agency to three from the four agreed a few years back with the UHW doctors, nurses, social worker OT's and Physio's.

This despite the OT saying to us when she came that they wouldn't cut any calls just adjust the time to make the more suitable.

The report to the social worker has now recommended the cut in calls.

I have heard from a couple of people that The council are trying to cut down on care packages and I just wondered if anyone else had anything similar happen to someone they care for.

Re: Cardiff Care Packages

We can't give a Yes/No answer without the full facts, pal.

I worked in Social Services for years and would be happy to offer my advice and opinion if you want to PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Has anyone had any problems with Cardiff Council cutting their care packages

The Council have said after an OT assessment that they want to cut my wife's no of calls from the care agency to three from the four agreed a few years back with the UHW doctors, nurses, social worker OT's and Physio's.

This despite the OT saying to us when she came that they wouldn't cut any calls just adjust the time to make the more suitable.

The report to the social worker has now recommended the cut in calls.

I have heard from a couple of people that The council are trying to cut down on care packages and I just wondered if anyone else had anything similar happen to someone they care for.
    can't speak for cardiff

If your wife had a care package and her needs have increased ....I assume they have if the last care package was agreed two years ago .....then if she has been reassessed ......has she ? .......then I find it hard to believe that they have assessed her to be better and in need of less care than before ?

The care packages provided are usually a mix of council funding and a contribution from you and your wife or , if you have been assessed as self funding .....ie you are in the eyes of the council well off ......then you pay for home care

If that's the case then if the council are saying they don't think your wife needs the same care then you are free to get extra care in on top of what you have been provided

But ........I think you need to be saying hold on a minute , you have assessed my wife as needing this level of care .......nothing has changed .......this is what I want .....4 visits !

Sometimes a council will say oh the care company don't have enough staff to cover those calls anymore

Well then you say then use the care company to provide as many home visits as you can and find another care company to make up the hours

Or .......get a care company in that can provide what we have been assessed as needing

You should have a social worker ? If you do , speak to one of the advice and information team at AGE CYMRU on 0300 303 44 98

The whole team are great but the expert is GUTO , pronounced GITO , he will advise you , he knows his stuff

Forewarned is forearmed , the councils have been using the excuse of covid to cut back on care but don't take any nonsense

My mother gets her care from the council but if you pay for yours then you are at liberty to tell them you want the care that was agreed several years ago and your wife is unsafe and at risk if she doesn't get home help and you are prepared to pay for it .......assuming you are and are able to ? But on principle I would be getting advice from the fella I know and saying to the council this is the line in the sand

PM me if you need any further advice

The 2014 care act in Wales is worth looking at , age cymru have loads of leaflets but they can act on your behalf if you want , they are on the money

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    can't speak for cardiff

If your wife had a care package and her needs have increased ....I assume they have if the last care package was agreed two years ago .....then if she has been reassessed ......has she ? .......then I find it hard to believe that they have assessed her to be better and in need of less care than before ?

The care packages provided are usually a mix of council funding and a contribution from you and your wife or , if you have been assessed as self funding .....ie you are in the eyes of the council well off ......then you pay for home care

If that's the case then if the council are saying they don't think your wife needs the same care then you are free to get extra care in on top of what you have been provided

But ........I think you need to be saying hold on a minute , you have assessed my wife as needing this level of care .......nothing has changed .......this is what I want .....4 visits !

Sometimes a council will say oh the care company don't have enough staff to cover those calls anymore

Well then you say then use the care company to provide as many home visits as you can and find another care company to make up the hours

Or .......get a care company in that can provide what we have been assessed as needing

You should have a social worker ? If you do , speak to one of the advice and information team at AGE CYMRU on 0300 303 44 98

The whole team are great but the expert is GUTO , pronounced GITO , he will advise you , he knows his stuff

Forewarned is forearmed , the councils have been using the excuse of covid to cut back on care but don't take any nonsense

My mother gets her care from the council but if you pay for yours then you are at liberty to tell them you want the care that was agreed several years ago and your wife is unsafe and at risk if she doesn't get home help and you are prepared to pay for it .......assuming you are and are able to ? But on principle I would be getting advice from the fella I know and saying to the council this is the line in the sand

PM me if you need any further advice

The 2014 care act in Wales is worth looking at , age cymru have loads of leaflets but they can act on your behalf if you want , they are on the money
    Thank you Sludge

I was aware you had some knowledge of this area.

The package is funded entirely by the council as my wife only has PIP as her income and my incme of course doesn't count..

I have deliberately not put fuller details on an open website. and I accept what B Oddie says that people would need more information to decide on my circumstances.

However initially I don't want people to give views on my wife's case but taking it as read for the moment that the council are wrong in her situation I just wanted t know if there was a general problem in Cardiff with people having care packages cut unjustifiably as I have heard from a source today.

I am going to write to the social worker and OT over the weekend restating our case and pointing out the problems in their explanation over the phone today and I will see where it goes from there.

The social worker looking after our case now is new to us so I don't really know what to make of him yet.

Thanks for providing the Age Cymru phone number I may contact them if I have no joy with my letter to the council and I may PM you if I need to

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Thank you Sludge

I was aware you had some knowledge of this area.

The package is funded entirely by the council as my wife only has PIP as her income and my incme of course doesn't count..

I have deliberately not put fuller details on an open website. and I accept what B Oddie says that people would need more information to decide on my circumstances.

However initially I don't want people to give views on my wife's case but taking it as read for the moment that the council are wrong in her situation I just wanted t know if there was a general problem in Cardiff with people having care packages cut unjustifiably as I have heard from a source today.

I am going to write to the social worker and OT over the weekend restating our case and pointing out the problems in their explanation over the phone today and I will see where it goes from there.

The social worker looking after our case now is new to us so I don't really know what to make of him yet.

Thanks for providing the Age Cymru phone number I may contact them if I have no joy with my letter to the council and I may PM you if I need to

I wouldn't bother writing to the council and social worker yet . Phone guto and his team on the age cymru advice and support line before you do anything , in fact phone them this weekend and leave a message . They are busy but keep phoning . They are all welfare rights advice and support workers and know whats going on and can even represent you as its very stressful .

Thats my advice from someone who has used the information line many times over similar issues .

Don't take them on on your own

Pm me if you need to