+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wales v England

Re: Wales v England

Yes the referee messed up in the first half, but England's discipline let them down again and Wales took advantage.

Watching the BBC no-one giving Wales any credit, We scored 16 points unanswered points in the final stages. Very happy tonight.

Very impressive last twenty minutes by Wales and fantastic to see us score forty against England - yes, once again, luck was on our side, but we have an attacking edge to our game now and a lot of the credit for that should go to Wayne Pivac.

For all the crying about the referee, the scores were even with 20 minutes to go and Wales scored 16 unanswered points with relative ease

The line of questioning form the BBC interviewer was pretty embarrassing

Wales appear clinical in the red zone and improving in defence but I'm still not sure how we're winning some of these games. Some of our previous successful tournament's have seen us only play well in one or two games though and fans quickly forgetting France shooting themselves in the foot...not saying we can say that again this year - think it's too early to say what this team is.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    For all the crying about the referee, the scores were even with 20 minutes to go and Wales scored 16 unanswered points with relative ease

Yes, I thought the line of questioning was strange but then I realised that the interviewer was female and thought, nah, I'm not touching this

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

Spot on. 24-24. 20 to go. Who wants it most. Who’s smart enough to see it out. Wales.

The pundits didn't mention the fact that Wales very nearly got another try, if only young Rees-Zammit had managed to pick up that grubber kick!

I have some sympathy with the one controversial incident, if you want to call it that, when the ref told Farrell to have a word with his players. But what’s wrong with the try where Zammit drops the ball that then comes off his leg that then gets picked up for a try. He mishandled but can it be a knock on if it has come off his leg, with the ball then going backwards anyway?

I’m a casual viewer and liked the game when I was younger and have a broadly decent hang of the rules, as they were then, although age obviously takes its toll of course!

We were supposedly lucky when Ireland went down to 14 players. We were then supposedly lucky when Scotland went down to 14 players.
    Now we have the English complaining about the referees performance.
    At the end if the day, fu*k them all. History will show, we won the triple crown.
    We have had some terrible decisions go against us over the yrs, as have all teams in all sports.
    Beating England is always sweet. It’s even sweeter when they have something to moan about .

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Worcester View Post
    Spot on. 24-24. 20 to go. Who wants it most. Who’s smart enough to see it out. Wales.
    Historically, England are a pretty stupid rugby team. As Eddie Jones said on the day he took over as England coach, England have so many in built advantages over the other highly ranked teams in terms of finance, number of players to choose from etc. that they should be able to dominate the game, but they never do.

Wales were a lucky team yesterday, but they were also a much more intelligent one than their opponents.

It's a strange coincidence that in the West Brom v Brighton game there was controversy over a ref allowing play to resume ahead of time. Then in the rugby, on the same day a similar incident occurs.

I don't mind the outcome of either, which is once again a strange coincidence.

England give away a penalty, Wales go quickly which leads to Biggar doing cross field kick for a try in left sided corner - haven't we seen this before? 17th of August 2019: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eIHinEG15s

Pascal Gauzere was the ref on that day too. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice...

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Yes, I thought the line of questioning was strange but then I realised that the interviewer was female and thought, nah, I'm not touching this
    It was an astonishing ‘performance’. The BBC are defended her, as they would, but do they intend to sink to the standard of a cheap US TV station?

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    I have some sympathy with the one controversial incident, if you want to call it that, when the ref told Farrell to have a word with his players. But what’s wrong with the try where Zammit drops the ball that then comes off his leg that then gets picked up for a try. He mishandled but can it be a knock on if it has come off his leg, with the ball then going backwards anyway?

I’m a casual viewer and liked the game when I was younger and have a broadly decent hang of the rules, as they were then, although age obviously takes its toll of course!
    There was one replay which showed that even before the ref blew his whistle for the game to restart England's players are already starting to spread out across the field, albeit sluggishly. A classic case of play the whistle!

This is one of the issues I have with rugby - every stoppage takes an age and takes all the momentum out of the game. I'm actually beginning to dislike the game now because of this, combined with the myriad of petty rules, and only watch the Wales games anyway, more out of a sense of patriotism than anything else. Two examples:

1. Line outs. A player kicks a long ball down field and it goes into touch. The rules allow an opposing player to take a quick throw in to another member of his team which gets the game underway immediately and also means that his side have guaranteed possession of the ball, unlike the normal lineout. How often do we see this? Very rarely.

2. Tap penalties. This used to be a common move when a team is pressing the opposition back into their own 22 and gets the game going again. Hardly ever see it these days.

If there are any rugby experts on here then I stand to be corrected!

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    There was one replay which showed that even before the ref blew his whistle for the game to restart England's players are already starting to spread out across the field, albeit sluggishly. A classic case of play the whistle!

This is one of the issues I have with rugby - every stoppage takes an age and takes all the momentum out of the game. I'm actually beginning to dislike the game now because of this, combined with the myriad of petty rules, and only watch the Wales games anyway, more out of a sense of patriotism than anything else. Two examples:

1. Line outs. A player kicks a long ball down field and it goes into touch. The rules allow an opposing player to take a quick throw in to another member of his team which gets the game underway immediately and also means that his side have guaranteed possession of the ball, unlike the normal lineout. How often do we see this? Very rarely.

2. Tap penalties. This used to be a common move when a team is pressing the opposition back into their own 22 and gets the game going again. Hardly ever see it these days.

Quick throws are difficult these days as the kicking team always have one of their fastest backs following up the kick to prevent them.

didn't we score from a tap penalty yesterday?

The Ref did them no favours but England were very lackadaisical. In one shot it shows that the Eng players on the other side of the pitch from the try were nearly all in position BEFORE the Ref blows for time on. Watson sprints to his touchline facing the kick, while Ford saunters over to the other touch looking away, head down and Jonny May is nowhere. They really only have themselves to blame

International

Just a little rider to point 1. The quick throw can only be taken if no one else touches the ball between it entering touch and the player throwing it to a team mate. That means literally anyone, not just another player. It is why you see home team ball boys rushing to get the ball to 'help'. In reality he is stopping that quick throw.
    It's one of the reasons why you don't see it too often.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Just a little rider to point 1. The quick throw can only be taken if no one else touches the ball between it entering touch and the player throwing it to a team mate. That means literally anyone, not just another player. It is why you see home team ball boys rushing to get the ball to 'help'. In reality he is stopping that quick throw.
    It's one of the reasons why you don't see it too often.
    There was that famous occasion when Wales won, might even have secured a GS, when the ref didn’t realise the ball boy had given it to Mike Phillips (I think)!

Right , we have had a nice chat about the rugby , time to wrap it up now , isn't it

Let's all have a jolly good laugh, shake hands

And get on with talking about CCFC

Thank you , nothing to see here now , move along

Cheers

International

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Right , we have had a nice chat about the rugby , time to wrap it up now , isn't it

Cheers
    Off you go then.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Cheers
    I seem to remember Terry Yorath when he played for Leeds finishing his televised game of footie and running over to the side to check out the Wales rugby score (not sure but I think it was vs England).

The commentator remarked on it.

Was he a fan of the egg shaped ball though, or was it just coz he had a few quid on it?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Off you go then.
    This is a cardiff city board for cardiff city people

We don't like outsiders round here

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I seem to remember Terry Yorath when he played for Leeds finishing his televised game of footie and running over to the side to check out the Wales rugby score (not sure but I think it was vs England).

The commentator remarked on it.

Was he a fan of the egg shaped ball though, or was it just coz he had a few quid on it?
    he was probably ordering some knock off fags