+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The "horrible to play" team becomes horrible to watch for ninety minutes.

The "horrible to play" team becomes horrible to watch for ninety minutes.

Cardiff City well below par, but grind out draw to extend their unbeaten run to nine.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Re: The "horrible to play" team becomes horrible to watch for ninety minutes.

2021-02-27-middlesbrough-cardiff.jpg

even this plot is horrible to look at

Going to be really interesting to see if changes are made for Derby - on form they're at least a top seven side over past four, eight and ten games and top ten over past six - or whether MM tries to make it through to the Huddersfield game. At the moment I'd be looking to rest Moore against Derby and Stoke knowing he probably has two important games in March with Wales.

FAO Will Vaulks, this is why Cardiff need to be more than an ugly side to play against.

Is anyone surprised that game become a war of attrition?

I predicted 0-0 so wasn’t even as optimistic as the final result

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Is anyone surprised that game become a war of attrition?

I predicted 0-0 so wasn’t even as optimistic as the final result
    And I said we'd need to score early and hope to hang on. We almost did.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    2021-02-27-middlesbrough-cardiff.jpg

even this plot is horrible to look at
    0.3 looks a very low xg figure even to this non expert, but then a bit more thought about our total lack of a goal threat in the second half , our very soft goal and just one other goal attempt tells you that, actually, it's higher than might have been expected.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Going to be really interesting to see if changes are made for Derby - on form they're at least a top seven side over past four, eight and ten games and top ten over past six - or whether MM tries to make it through to the Huddersfield game. At the moment I'd be looking to rest Moore against Derby and Stoke knowing he probably has two important games in March with Wales.

FAO Will Vaulks, this is why Cardiff need to be more than an ugly side to play against.
    I think we may see changes in attack and midfield for Derby, but I can't see Moore being rested. If Watters wasn't injured yesterday, his absence from the squad is a concern considering the amount we stand to pay for him - it looks like Mark Harris is our second choice striker at the moment and nearly all of his first team experience has come alongside a target man like Moore or Glatzel. I've seen Harris do a pretty good job as a lone striker for the Under 23s, but that's a bit different to what would be expected of him on Tuesday. Also, I'm fairly sure that Wales' games at the end of next month will not be a factor in Mick McCarthy's team selection in the weeks leading up to the international break.

We desperately need changes, with Moore being top of the list. Last game before Wales is......you've guessed it, Swansea! No rest for him that day.
    My suggested team v an improved Derby:
    Phillips
    Ng
    Bagan
    Morrison
    Nelson
    Flint
    Ralls
    Vaulks
    Ojo
    Wilson
    Harris

What has Wales got to do with the City. This is a CCFC forum. The City over Wales any day (though we still want Wales to be successful- but not at the expense of the City).

Further to what I said about Watters, Mick McCarthy said after yesterday's match that he and Ciaron Brown need to play ninety minutes and he wants to see them play a whole game, so they are both going to play for the Under 23s - our manager says the Development side are playing tomorrow and I see that it has now been changed to a 2 o clock kick off tomorrow as opposed to the normal Tuesday lunchtime start on the club website.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think we may see changes in attack and midfield for Derby, but I can't see Moore being rested. If Watters wasn't injured yesterday, his absence from the squad is a concern considering the amount we stand to pay for him - it looks like Mark Harris is our second choice striker at the moment and nearly all of his first team experience has come alongside a target man like Moore or Glatzel. I've seen Harris do a pretty good job as a lone striker for the Under 23s, but that's a bit different to what would be expected of him on Tuesday. Also, I'm fairly sure that Wales' games at the end of next month will not be a factor in Mick McCarthy's team selection in the weeks leading up to the international break.
    Watters is looking like a bad buy as we already had Harris on the books. We needed another player like Moore. I would not be surprised to see us move for Ikpeazu at Wycombe as a backup in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    Watters is looking like a bad buy as we already had Harris on the books. We needed another player like Moore. I would not be surprised to see us move for Ikpeazu at Wycombe as a backup in the summer.
    If only that Cameron Jerome deal had come off.

We've played 7 games in the last 22 days. This was our second away trip in 3 days and we were playing a team that had an extra day of rest since their last game. Perhaps I'm going soft, but I'm willing to give our players a pass on this occasion.

It wasn't a very pretty game to watch, and I think if it hadn't been City, I'd have switched it off halfway through. But a point away is a point away, and Middlesbrough are a team around us in the table, so we should have expected a tough game. Warnock knows exactly how to combat a team like us, and to be fair, he did a good job.
    As for us, whereas I accept that tiredness is starting to creep in, surely this applies to all teams in the Championship? It's not like anyone else is getting a break. Our problem is that the guys on the subs bench are not at the same level as the first team. Okay, that's why they're subs, I guess, but when we bring on a player, it always seems to weaken the side, rather than improve it, or at least keep things steady.
    Bacuna and Ojo are not as effective as Wilson and Murphy. They don't seem as quick, as strong, or as in-tune with what is expected of them. It's like they didn't get the message at training. We went from being a pressing, threatening side, to a let-them-have-the-ball, and we'll just defend, for the rest of the game. A big mistake.
    And for all the praise Ralls gets on here, I just can't see it. He takes a good penalty, but apart from that he's pretty damn average. I thought we'd ditched him for good, but I can see him creeping back in.
    Anyway, I think Warnock did a Warnock on us yesterday, and so perhaps we should be happy with a point.

Going back in time a bit but interesting discussions about different names featured in this thread, and some not, I haven't yet seen posted on this board.

MM at Cardiff are discussed here with our bit finishing at 4 minute mark: https://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...-ones-to-watch

Perry NG from 1:35 and Gavin Whyte from 8:00 spoken about here:
    https://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...w-talent-watch

Max Watters from 11:00 here: https://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...-ones-to-watch

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    What has Wales got to do with the City. This is a CCFC forum. The City over Wales any day (though we still want Wales to be successful- but not at the expense of the City).
    This ^^^ yes let’s rest our centre forward so he’s fresh for Wales WTAF