+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 4 - 0 DERBY COUNTY. Match thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: CARDIFF CITY v DERBY COUNTY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    It was weird, wasn’t it, knocking it about in their own half just inviting us on. Is he just out of his depth? Or did he try some sort of system not worrying if it didn’t come off having written the game off beforehand? All in all Derby were a shambles.

Practicing for next season !

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    It was weird, wasn’t it, knocking it about in their own half just inviting us on. Is he just out of his depth? Or did he try some sort of system not worrying if it didn’t come off having written the game off beforehand? All in all Derby were a shambles.
    Did they make any changes for tonight's game? They're at least a top 10 side on form recently and while they have lost one key player to injury not so long ago I can't explain their limited performance many other ways.

Think I need to go find that thread for those who want to express MM has proved them wrong - not for MM but for combination of Pack and Vaulks who have been excellent over a number of games now and Bacuna who showed tonight why MM had been picking him further forward with a productiveness I didn't see coming. Very pleasing evening.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Did they make any changes for tonight's game? They're at least a top 10 side on form recently and while they have lost one key player to injury not so long ago I can't explain their limited performance many other ways.

Think I need to go find that thread for those who want to express MM has proved them wrong - not for MM but for combination of Pack and Vaulks who have been excellent over a number of games now and Bacuna who showed tonight why MM had been picking him further forward with a productiveness I didn't see coming. Very pleasing evening.
    they made six changes. seemed excessive and obviously back fired.

Vaulks has really had upped his game since Mick arrived....or is it he has just been given a proper chance.

Brilliant result, I can't remember us scoring so many for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Vaulks has really had upped his game since Mick arrived....or is it he has just been given a proper chance.

Brilliant result, I can't remember us scoring so many for a while.
    I'm not sure what to make of Vaulks. He barely got a game in the first half of last season and didn't perform well when he was on the pitch, but then he played really well either side of lockdown. He was really poor this season until MM took over and now he's consistently one of our best players.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    I'm not sure what to make of Vaulks. He barely got a game in the first half of last season and didn't perform well when he was on the pitch, but then he played really well either side of lockdown. He was really poor this season until MM took over and now he's consistently one of our best players.

It’s called “man management”

Re: FT: CARDIFF CITY 4 - 0 DERBY COUNTY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    We don’t score goals like that !!!

I must be dreaming
    Vaulks does
    He doesn't do tap-ins that lad

27% possession tonight.

11 shots on target to Derby's 1.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    27% possession tonight.

11 shots on target to Derby's 1.
    Any way of knowing what it was at different stages in the game? We noticeably stepped back and let them play once we were three up.

Very enjoyable and a complete contrast of style re Middlesborough.
    I thought we played very well but that Derby made it easy for us.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    what the feck has zlatan got to do with tonight?
    One of the commentators on iFollow remarked "Kieffer's like Zlatan tonight".

I thought I'd carry on the compliment.

Is that alright with you?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    One of the commentators on iFollow remarked "Kieffer's like Zlatan tonight".

I thought I'd carry on the compliment.

Is that alright with you?
    no. because it's a load of rubbish said by a moron

no. because it's a load of rubbish said by a moron
    You mean as oppose to this one by a scholar...

in with paterson ffs
    I think you'd better go have a lie down

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Any way of knowing what it was at different stages in the game? We noticeably stepped back and let them play once we were three up.
    Derby had about 68/9% possession by HT of which (at a guess) less than 20% was in our half. They had more possession overall in the second half, yes more in our half. We just scored more than them! MM thinking ahead to another short turn around and Huddersfield on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Becuna is a decent player with plenty of energy and grit. Not skillful but i think he's a lot better than some fans make out.
    Cracking performance from Bacuna..

Only Brentford have scored more goals than us this season so far.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Only Brentford have scored more goals than us this season so far.
    Well done to Mick ,Terry and the team

Thats now 24 points from 10 games under McCarthy. That’s incredible.

Well done City. Cant quite figure out if we are good or other teams are bad at the moment.
    I suspect teams are scared of us, particularly at CCS, alter their team to combat us, and play into our hands. Long may it last.
    Watford are next team up at home. I know I'm speaking too soon, but they have not looked anything special when I've seen them.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Well done City. Cant quite figure out if we are good or other teams are bad at the moment.
    I suspect teams are scared of us, particularly at CCS, alter their team to combat us, and play into our hands. Long may it last.
    Watford are next team up at home. I know I'm speaking too soon, but they have not looked anything special when I've seen them.
    Bournemouth beat them.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Bournemouth beat them.
    Big game for them tonight away to the carrot crunchers.....

Derby viewpoint - https://boards.footymad.net/showthre...0#post39719420

Two killers tonight - firstly the defence looked like it had never played together before tonight, largely because the defence hadn't played together before tonight. And secondly Cardiff played a very high press, and we didn't. And it wasn't just "a press", it was like a horde of Viking invaders had heard the command "CHARGE!" as soon as we got the ball in defence. Our response when they got the ball in defence was to sit off them and give them the freedom of the pitch. This is a pet argument of mine - for years we have had a go at pressing the opposition, and lo and behold it actually works. Then we stop doing it, and it stops working. Funny that....

When I saw the team sheet it took me an age to work out exactly what system he had in his head and finally decided it was to be 1-4-5-1 or 1-5-4-1. It was the 1-4-5-1 variety. I hadn't seen anything of MM's Caerdydd to know how that would work. In short, it didn't.

It seems Rooney chucked the game away as soon as he wrote out his team sheet to save his players for an infinitely more winnable game on Saturday, and hopefully we will end up with a comfortable victory. More likely if we are lucky we will scrape a dour 1 - 0 win. But what Wayne has done is take us from comfortably moving away from the relegation zone to being one loss away from being back in it, and with a much worse goal difference. All of a sudden we are in the high pressure position of having to win against Coventry - a pretty stupid move by all accounts.

There are some good things to be taken from tonight's efforts, nay half-hearted wanderings. Firstly, although Cardiff managed to crock two of our players within the first 10 minutes or so, this wasn't McCarthy football at all. Yes, Cardiff were stronger than us, but there wasn't any thug football, despite having Morrison in their team. Instead it was they who were playing the football. And secondly Watson looks like a real prospect, although I am sure that a few quiet words will drum that out of him before too long.

Sadly the knives are out for both Jozwikk and Sibley. Both of them put in a real shift tonight, doing a lot of good defensive work. And both of them have two or three defenders on them as soon as they are within reach of the ball. Gregory on his own up front had a tough job, but he often doesn't show for the ball, and isn't a CKR or Martin type of target man, even though that is what would bring the best out of both Joz and Sibs. So when either gets the ball, they virtually always have to beat at least two men before they can think of playing someone else into the game. But when nobody is showing for the ball, where can either of these guys go? Early in the first half Joz got the ball as a result of some slick play (yes, we could look threatening when we decided to play football) and worked his way out to the right wing, turned back on himself 2 or 3 times because there was no-one in support, and despite holding the ball for ages, nobody actually bothered to turn up, and he was tackled out of it. What more could he have done? A final worry is that every time in the past when we have rested a load of players ready for an upcoming fixture, they haven't actually showed up, instead putting in a dreadfully lethargic performance making the cost of resting them a complete waste of time and money, and usually points as well.

Having spoken to Captain Hindsight, it might have been better, taking the starting XI, to have gone 1-4-4-2. Wis, Edmundson, Mengi and Clarke at the back. Joz, Shinnie, Baningime, Buchanan in MF. Sibs and Gregory up top. Send them out with orders to press and harry and all the shortcomings we had, perfectly described by Dave, would have been Caerdydd's shortcomings. We were back to playing Cocuball, slow, slow, slower, slower, slow. All because there was either nobody ahead to pass to or, due to lack of movement, the man in possession had no choice other than sideways or backwards which saw the back 4 seeing much of the ball halfway inside our half. I just looked at the BBC site, it says we had 73% possession. 69% of that was in our own half.

The, way too late, personnel changes allied to a change in formation, saw us start to play the way we should have from the off. We put them under pressure and would have deserved a consolation goal, had we got it.

The stats, they had 27% of the ball. The startling thing is that they managed 14 shots, ELEVEN of which were on target. We managed 7 and 1.

Sibley. I rate the lad, however, in the 18s, the 23s and when he broke into the first team, he played ACM, aka #10, and that is where he excells. He isn't, IMO, a left midfielder or winger. He's wasted out wide.

Bird had a good cameo when he came on playing a lot of forward passes because there were unmarked players there to pass to. Recently, there haven't been.

In short, I blame Rooney and not the players, for the debacle. He got the selection wrong. He got the formation wrong. That can happen, however, when it does you don't sit back and hope for 69 minutes before doing something about it. There should have been action taken inside the first half. Change formation or, if that isn't possible, change personnel. He did neither. Tied up like a kipper by the more experienced Mick McCarthy. Let's hope Wayne has learnt this lesson.