+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: McBirnie

McBirnie

I know that many have a blinkered view of the guy but I can honestly say that I have seen better strikers on Cardiff parks pitches.

He has had a fair bit of service, (comparatively) and on one occasion he received the ball in a great position in the pelanty area having at least two yards on his man, then mis-controlled it to the extent that the defender got to it and cleared.

How is he anywhere near the EPL?
    We moan about our strikers but this guy is positively stealing a living.

Re: McBirnie

I don't know what Wilder was thinking buying him as an EPL player. And for almost £20M. He's nowhere near that standard. Moore is a better player.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I don't know what Wilder was thinking buying him as an EPL player. And for almost £20M. He's nowhere near that standard. Moore is a better player.
    No doubt in my mind.

Imagine being a SU fan.
    Madine is still taking stick on here and he was a quarter of the price.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I know that many have a blinkered view of the guy but I can honestly say that I have seen better strikers on Cardiff parks pitches.

He has had a fair bit of service, (comparatively) and on one occasion he received the ball in a great position in the pelanty area having at least two yards on his man, then mis-controlled it to the extent that the defender got to it and cleared.

How is he anywhere near the EPL?
    We moan about our strikers but this guy is positively stealing a living.
    He looks slow, unfit and like he doesn't give a shit.

2018–19 Championship season: 42 league games and 22 goals.

Oli McBurnie has won the second-most aerial duels in the Premier League this season - having played fewer than half of the minutes available (1085/2250). On average, he wins an aerial duel every nine minutes. (https://theathletic.com/2406317/2021...ams-low-block/)

He does have some strengths and some weaknesses, clearly.

I hate him but at the time it was a fair price

Zohore was leaving for roughly £15m at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

Oli McBurnie has won the second-most aerial duels in the Premier League this season - having played fewer than half of the minutes available (1085/2250). On average, he wins an aerial duel every nine minutes. (https://theathletic.com/2406317/2021...ams-low-block/)

The stats you highlight are interesting.

1 The aerial duals is a bit of a surprise at first glance but it is most likely due to the SU style of play compared to other teams.

2 He got his big move based on, the impressive, Championship season.

If he proves me wrong in the future then I will happily eat humble pie but I can't see it somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He looks slow, unfit and like he doesn't give a shit.
    If he doesn't give a shit then he must be as thick as shit.

Every EPL match is shown around the globe and even if you are playing in the worst team in the league, one that is going down, you can still put yourself in the largest shop window there is.

If he really doesn't give a shit then I really hope that's the last we see of him in top flight football.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

What does winning an ariel duel mean though? Outjumping someone and getting a touch? From any type of ball played? The ball skims off the top of your head and goes anywhere? If he's winning headers from crosses into the box he's obviously not doing much with them because scoring goals in the EPL is not one of his strengths, it's one of his weaknesses. For me, "winning ariel duels" is something you look for in a League 2 player.

And he’s keeping Brewster out of the side!