+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Cardiff Blues

  1. #1

  2. #2

  3. #3

    Re: Cardiff Blues

    “We see this change as a key step in the evolution of top flight rugby in Cardiff” - marketing bollox at its best, or worst

  4. #4

    Re: Cardiff Blues

    To be fair that's a very imaginative move ,didn't see that coming, hope it doesn't confuse their supporters too much .

  5. #5

    Re: Cardiff Blues

    Well at least they can stop pretending to be a regional rugby club.

  6. #6

    Re: Cardiff Blues

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    “We see this change as a key step in the evolution of top flight rugby in Cardiff” - marketing bollox at its best, or worst
    There’s some choice cuts in that beeb link of a similar vintage fairplay! Almost painful to read some of the sentences.

    Have to admit barely seems noteworthy to me, tinkered with the shade of a colour on the badge and dropped or switched a suffix. But I’m not a Cardiff or Blues supporter so the significance is probably lost on me.

    Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Well at least they can stop pretending to be a regional rugby club.
    I don’t think anyone believed it was ever otherwise. I imagine if you broke down the % of supporters as they did in that article for the other “regions” they’d probably be very similar, at least for Newport and Llanelli.

  7. #7

    Re: Cardiff Blues

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    To be fair that's a very imaginative move ,didn't see that coming, hope it doesn't confuse their supporters too much .
    Will that mess up the songs they sing?

  8. #8
    First Team light up the darkness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ho Chi Minh City/Radyr
    Posts
    2,139

    Re: Cardiff Blues

    The relationship between Cardiff Athletic Club and Cardiff Blues was very poor. It only began to improve when Peter Thomas left and took his property development chums with him.

    There was a consultation amongst the membership of CAC rugby section and the overriding concern was to retain the name and identity of Cardiff RFC which over the years has had considerable international recognition.

    Cardiff Blues didn’t have much of an option but to accommodate as much of what CAC wanted as they could basically because all of the other options for obtaining an alternative rugby venue at which to play were non workable

  9. #9

    Re: Cardiff Blues

    Weren't they thinking of doing the opposite a few years ago and just calling themselves The Blues?

  10. #10

    Re: Cardiff Blues

    Holland believes the risk is minimal of losing supporters following the rebrand.

    "In all, 78% of our supporters come from Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan, of the remaining 22%, 17% comes from outside of the region and five per cent from the north of our region," said Holland.

    "This is not something to disenfranchise that five per cent. We would be delighted if we could grow that to bigger numbers.

    "We will be disappointed if we lose fans, but that's not the intention. In terms of risk, the data supports the decision that has been taken."
    Surely the least successful at building a region is now making a move to concede that the fans from clubs north of Cardiff didn't maintain interest (if they ever had it) while also recognising that sponsors prefer the Cardiff brand?

  11. #11
    First Team light up the darkness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ho Chi Minh City/Radyr
    Posts
    2,139

    Re: Cardiff Blues

    The economic arguments for regionalisation were very strong but the fact is that the WRU has made a dreadful balls up of funding leaving all the regions struggling with an imposed budget that doesn’t allow real competition with for example Ireland or the South Africans when they join the PRO16 next year

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •