+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What’s it like where you live?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: What’s it like where you live?

Bars and restaurants can operate at 25% capacity. Shops are open. Everyone is required to wear a mask to enter any public place. In Manhattan, 90% of people wear masks when out on the street. This is not mandatory. Beaches are open. Golf courses are open. NYC is relatively quiet but still fully operational. Although the subway does shut down for a few hours at night. Many people are working from home. So far about 50M people have received one or more doses of a vaccine. The new one-shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine should become available this week. It only requires regular refrigeration so hopefully, it should be a lot simpler and easier to administer. I am eligible to receive a vaccine on March 29th.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Bars and restaurants can operate at 25% capacity. Shops are open. Everyone is required to wear a mask to enter any public place. In Manhattan, 90% of people wear masks when out on the street. This is not mandatory. Beaches are open. Golf courses are open. NYC is relatively quiet but still fully operational. Although the subway does shut down for a few hours at night. Many people are working from home. So far about 50M people have received one or more doses of a vaccine. The new one-shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine should become available this week. It only requires regular refrigeration so hopefully, it should be a lot simpler and easier to administer. I am eligible to receive a vaccine on March 29th.
    I’m due to come out in July,praying it will go ahead but really unsure.Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    I’m due to come out in July,praying it will go ahead but really unsure.Fingers crossed.
    Will you have had two doses of vaccine by then?

I'm in Ames, Iowa which is very rural, more than half UK size but with just over 3 million population. Ames is a university town, regular population 40K which almost doubles when students are here. All that means we've not felt the full force of lockdowns etc and life has been relatively unaffected. Non-essential shops, bars and restaurants were closed only for a few months and masks initially weren't compulsory. There's only one large city (Des Moines - similar in size to Cardiff) where restrictions have been followed more rigidly but the rural areas, largely Republican, have tried to ignore the rules as a matter of principle.

The longer it's gone on, though, it seems to me most people have themselves taken to wearing masks and are consciously taking more care. Like UK, the vaccination programme is happening now and most people will rely on beating the virus that way rather than sticking to the rules steadfastly. I had a positive test and very mild symptoms last June and, being of an age, I had my first Pfizer last week with the follow-up before the end of the month.