+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ian St John

Ian St John

RIP

Re: Ian St John

BBC are reporting "Former Liverpool Legend".
    Shirley you either are or you aren't

The Saint and Greavsie show I remember being a must watch in its day, then came along Sky.

They were a great pairing, bounced off each other like sporting Morecambe and Wise.

RIP Saint.

agree a great watch the Saint and Greavsie show

RIP

He was idolised by the Kop back in the sixties as a player and was one of the first footballers to pursue a career in the media even trying his hand as a commentator (he was beaten by Idwal Robling in a find a commentator competition), but things worked out better for him because Saint and Greavsie was a really big show back in the eighties- my own view was that while Jimmy Greaves provided most of the laughs, Ian St. John was the one who knew the game best.

RIP

It’s a funny old game Saint....rip to another star from my childhood/youth

RIP Ian St John

A great player and a key component of a really good Liverpool team.

He was good on Saint and Greavesie. However, Jimmy Greaves's attempts at humour on that programme used to grate on me.

What shalt thy do when the Lord cometh?

RIP

One of my favourite football photos

1965 cup final.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by not telling View Post
    One of my favourite football photos

1965 cup final.jpg
    My favourite photo of Ian St John is one that I remember but can't find on't internet.
    It was when he was playing for Coventry (my second team due to familial reasons) and some wag threw a banana skin on the pitch and which either landed on his head like splayed hat or he arranged it thus.

Dave the Scouser is touring America on holiday and stops in a remote bar in the hills of Nevada. He's chatting to the barman when he spies an old Indian sitting in a corner-complete with full tribal gear, long plaits and wrinkles.

"Who's he?" asks Dave.

"That's the Memory Man," says the barman.

"He knows everything. He can remember any fact. Go and try him out."

So Dave wanders over and asks: "Who won the 1965 FA Cup Final?"

"Liverpool," replies the Memory Man.

The tourist is amazed.

"Who did they beat?"

"Leeds," comes the reply.

"And the score?"

"2-1."

Dave tries something more specific.

"Who scored the winning goal?"

The Indian does not even blink:

"Ian St John."

The Liverpudlian returns home and regales his relatives and friends with his tale, and he's determined to return and pay his respects to this amazing man. Ten years later he has saved enough money and returns to America. After weeks of searching through the towns of Nevada, Dave finds the Memory Man in a cave in the mountains.

The Scouser steps forward, bows and greets the Indian in his traditional native tongue:

"How."

The Memory Man squints at him and says:

"Diving header in the six-yard box."

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Dave the Scouser is touring America on holiday and stops in a remote bar in the hills of Nevada. He's chatting to the barman when he spies an old Indian sitting in a corner-complete with full tribal gear, long plaits and wrinkles.

"Who's he?" asks Dave.

"That's the Memory Man," says the barman.

"He knows everything. He can remember any fact. Go and try him out."

So Dave wanders over and asks: "Who won the 1965 FA Cup Final?"

"Liverpool," replies the Memory Man.

The tourist is amazed.

"Who did they beat?"

"Leeds," comes the reply.

"And the score?"

"2-1."

Dave tries something more specific.

"Who scored the winning goal?"

The Indian does not even blink:

"Ian St John."

The Liverpudlian returns home and regales his relatives and friends with his tale, and he's determined to return and pay his respects to this amazing man. Ten years later he has saved enough money and returns to America. After weeks of searching through the towns of Nevada, Dave finds the Memory Man in a cave in the mountains.

The Scouser steps forward, bows and greets the Indian in his traditional native tongue:

"How."

The Memory Man squints at him and says:

"Diving header in the six-yard box."
    The above reminds me of Spanish accountant I met a number of years ago when I was a volunteer on an English language programme in Spain. The Madrileņo Madridista I got to know concerned had an encyclopaedic memory of Real Madrid line-ups going back decades and, believe it or not, could even name most of the City team that played away in Madrid (although not in the Biblical sense).

By the way, my last dentist was from Madrid and I invented a word to call him (and to his face), which was a conflation of the Spanish words 'Madridista' (Real Madrid fan, which he was, and 'Dentista', his profession) i.e. Madridentista. I think he eventually left the practice knowing that his life was worthless compared to my stab at Spanish wordsmithery. On the other hand, he may have got fed up of idiot patients....