+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Team of the month

Team of the month

Based on the mysterious "whoscored" ratings.

skysports.com/football/news/11095/12232738/championship-team-of-the-month-for-february

3 city players in there.

If at the end of January someone had told me that Dillon Philips would be in the team of the month for February I'm not sure what I would have thought.

Re: Team of the month

I said to a mate, I wanted Phillips to drop an absolute clanger when we're 3-0 up in the last minute, just so Smithies can come back . I think we've unearthed yet another good keeper, I'd still say Smithies is the better option but nice to have a headache and Smithies wasn't really playing well before.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I said to a mate, I wanted Phillips to drop an absolute clanger when we're 3-0 up in the last minute, just so Smithies can come back . I think we've unearthed yet another good keeper, I'd still say Smithies is the better option but nice to have a headache and Smithies wasn't really playing well before.
    smithies is probably on a lot more money, if Phillips keeps up this run of form then I wouldn't be surprised to see smithies moved on in the summer and another young keeper brought in

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    smithies is probably on a lot more money, if Phillips keeps up this run of form then I wouldn't be surprised to see smithies moved on in the summer and another young keeper brought in
    According to this website https://footballleaguefc.com/2019-20...-player-wages/ and a few others on the internet, Smithies is our highest permanent earner... with only Ojo out earning him, he'll be gone at the end of the season. Must be said if Phillips carries this form on then the club really should move Smithies on this summer.

Be interesting to see what happens. They could get a lot more money for Smithies if he plays... Fit and in form, there's not many better at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    According to this website https://footballleaguefc.com/2019-20...-player-wages/ and a few others on the internet, Smithies is our highest permanent earner... with only Ojo out earning him, he'll be gone at the end of the season. Must be said if Phillips carries this form on then the club really should move Smithies on this summer.
    Difficult to know how accurate that is, but yeh, there is a budget crunch coming so we are going to have to make some difficult choices.
    If that's right then we could save 1.5 million on smithies wage + any fee that we got for him ( - wages / fee for goalkeeping cover - any increase in phillips wages). Of course if we can afford to keep them both then we'd be stronger - we're just speculating really as we don't really know the state of the finances.

Again IF correct Bacuna is on a large wage and not really justifying it, but how easy will it be to move him on?

Difficult to know how accurate that is, but yeh, there is a budget crunch coming so we are going to have to make some difficult choices.
    If that's right then we could save 1.5 million on smithies wage + any fee that we got for him ( - wages / fee for goalkeeping cover - any increase in phillips wages). Of course if we can afford to keep them both then we'd be stronger - we're just speculating really as we don't really know the state of the finances.

Again IF correct Bacuna is on a large wage and not really justifying it, but how easy will it be to move him on?
    Maybe if Warnock takes Boro up he'll give us a tidy fee for him

Why are people intent upon linking everything to money? Yet again we are blessed with two very good keepers let’s hang onto both of them for a change. We get two people for a position & then want to sell them. Stick not twist.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Why are people intent upon linking everything to money? Yet again we are blessed with two very good keepers let’s hang onto both of them for a change. We get two people for a position & then want to sell them. Stick not twist.
    I get that, but in reality we have a finite amount of playing budget and it is about to get considerably smaller.
    taking those figures as correct (they could easily be nonsense)
    smithies alone accounts for about 8% of the total budget, that's probably too much for a player for whom we have a good replacement.
    looking at the squad in total this season about 20% of our wage budget has been basically wasted on players who have been out of favour or continually injured. if we manage our resources better we will see an improvement on the pitch.

yes keep them both if we've got money to burn, but I don't get the impression we do

Should be performance linked. Currently all of the bonuses are on top of the salary. They should be part of a salary. Be interesting to know if Vassell is taking his full salary. We had a player (can’t remember who) who would not take a salary whilst he was long term injured. There should or may be a clause to this effect in the basic salary, not the bonuses.

I don't think for a minute that there is a great deal of demand for a keeper who can't get into the side. If Smithies is on such high wages why would he move unless he is out of contract and why would anyone else want him at the same or better wage.