+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perry Ng

Perry Ng

A very stable player, obvious signs that he has been coached well, makes good decisions and puts himself in good positions that doesn't leave himself vulnerable or isolated. A decent touch and pretty comfortable in possession. Gets forward at the correct times and has awareness of what is going on around him. He's slotted in brilliantly, although i'd say that both fullbacks have been helped by the addition of an extra central defender, which helps in not leaving fullbacks vulnerable to those 1 on 1 situations with the extra man shifting over to help them. A case in point is Bennett who could get caught out of position when the play was turned and he was chasing back, so credit to Mick.

I like NG, does the basics very well, but isn't it an indictment towards the club that for so long we didn't have a player in that position who could concentrate for 90 minutes, carry out the basics, use an element of intelligence and know when and when not to play. In short, Perry NG is doing what he is supposed to be doing, it's not spectacular, it's his job, and he's doing it well, although i suppose plenty of us see it as some kind of mini miracle that we have a player who knows his position. Isn't that a reflection on how bad the situation became in that area of the field?

Re: Perry Ng

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    A very stable player, obvious signs that he has been coached well, makes good decisions and puts himself in good positions that doesn't leave himself vulnerable or isolated. A decent touch and pretty comfortable in possession. Gets forward at the correct times and has awareness of what is going on around him. He's slotted in brilliantly, although i'd say that both fullbacks have been helped by the addition of an extra central defender, which helps in not leaving fullbacks vulnerable to those 1 on 1 situations with the extra man shifting over to help them. A case in point is Bennett who could get caught out of position when the play was turned and he was chasing back, so credit to Mick.

I like NG, does the basics very well, but isn't it an indictment towards the club that for so long we didn't have a player in that position who could concentrate for 90 minutes, carry out the basics, use an element of intelligence and know when and when not to play. In short, Perry NG is doing what he is supposed to be doing, it's not spectacular, it's his job, and he's doing it well, although i suppose plenty of us see it as some kind of mini miracle that we have a player who knows his position. Isn't that a reflection on how bad the situation became in that area of the field?
    I'd disagree slightly to the extent that we had a very solid right back for years in Lee Peltier, but he was very much a defender and you couldn't imagine him popping up in some pf the positions Ng has done in what are only a few games so far (I'm fairly confident that Ng will have scored his first goal for us by the end of the season if he keeps on playing as a wing back). Based on what we've seen so far, it's a surprise to me that no one signed Ng before us - especially when you consider that he had played virtually all of his career in League Two before this season.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'd disagree slightly to the extent that we had a very solid right back for years in Lee Peltier, but he was very much a defender and you couldn't imagine him popping up in some pf the positions Ng has done in what are only a few games so far (I'm fairly confident that Ng will have scored his first goal for us by the end of the season if he keeps on playing as a wing back). Based on what we've seen so far, it's a surprise to me that no one signed Ng before us - especially when you consider that he had played virtually all of his career in League Two before this season.
    Agree with all of this and very pleased with Ng. Not sure how much pace he has and a few times when exposed it looked to me like it was pace that did him

It's been over a year since Peltier left the club though, and it seems like we struggled in that position for the best part of that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It's been over a year since Peltier left the club though, and it seems like we struggled in that position for the best part of that time.
    What did you think of Sanderson, who I see is playing centreback for Sunderland currently?

What did you think of Sanderson, who I see is playing centreback for Sunderland currently?
    Oh yes, forgot about him. I liked him initially, he was one of those fullbacks who was obviously a wide player at one point. He showed up, didn't hide and looked quite comfortable on the ball, although like so many "Modern" fullbacks, they seem to struggle badly at times when they get turned and are facing their own goal. Ampadu is a disaster for it. I thought that he did ok, got some stick for ball watching and allowing a player to get in front on a cross if memory serves? Ng seems more rounded. I agree with the other reply, pace could be a problem for him, although he's bright, alert, puts himself in good positions in my opinion.

Hes been a very good signing.

Id like to see Sang given a run out in the position if we get in a position where we can bring Ng off. Really dont want Bacuna back there.

Being pulled down for the pelanty at Bournemouth indicated to me what we’d been missing. Bournemouth’s defence had Moore, Wilson, Murphy etc to cope with and to add to their woes you’ve got Ng powering into their area, it was great to see.

https://twitter.com/joshbednash/stat...290215936?s=19

this move is so simple but really shows what having an attacking fullback can do for you.

for the u23s yesterday, when the fullbacks were pushed really high up the pitch there always seemed to be an attacking option, and we were able to recycle and sustain attacks for a lot longer

For me Connoly, Peltier and KTC were all good right backs.

NG has pretty much only played rwb and done pretty well although thought he made a few mistakes in one first half game recently. It's also been noted that Morrison had seemed to be exposed more than Flint and Nelson recently which suggests maybe he his defending has contributed to that as there is no doubt Morrison is our best centre back. I've not reviewed enough to be sure.

What I would say is having 3 centre backs certainly helps, it would seem that bacuna would have been a lot better playing in a back 5.

Doing Ok
    He is brave and doesn't hide.
    Has got caught out but then most full backs do.
    Good to see him wanting to get forward and he's not shy about having a go at goal - just needs better execution.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    For me Connoly, Peltier and KTC were all good right backs.

NG has pretty much only played rwb and done pretty well although thought he made a few mistakes in one first half game recently. It's also been noted that Morrison had seemed to be exposed more than Flint and Nelson recently which suggests maybe he his defending has contributed to that as there is no doubt Morrison is our best centre back. I've not reviewed enough to be sure.

What I would say is having 3 centre backs certainly helps, it would seem that bacuna would have been a lot better playing in a back 5.
    You are seeing something totally different to me. NG is one of the main reasons that we have gone 9 games unbeaten. He can defend, attack, read the game, pass the ball and is good in possession. As a full back or wing back Bacuna was useless - constantly out of position and weak in the tackle for a start. As for Thoephile-Catherine - he (and Declan John) were the two main reasons why we got relegated that year. He was constantly getting caught up field and couldn't tackle to save his life.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    You are seeing something totally different to me. NG is one of the main reasons that we have gone 9 games unbeaten. He can defend, attack, read the game, pass the ball and is good in possession. As a full back or wing back Bacuna was useless - constantly out of position and weak in the tackle for a start. As for Thoephile-Catherine - he (and Declan John) were the two main reasons why we got relegated that year. He was constantly getting caught up field and couldn't tackle to save his life.
    Yeah... Those are the two main reasons we got relegated

Isn’t he out of contract at Wolves in the summer?
    I’m just wondering if he’d be an interesting option to give us cover at both positions and he can kick a football.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Being pulled down for the pelanty at Bournemouth indicated to me what we’d been missing. Bournemouth’s defence had Moore, Wilson, Murphy etc to cope with and to add to their woes you’ve got Ng powering into their area, it was great to see.
    Can't imagine Pelts getting that far forward

The modern game looks for fullbacks powering forward with pace and adding to the thrust and support to ones attacks , Bennett has always had that in his locker and only the new set up allowed him and NG to provide that skill.
    good shots on target as well .

Biggest plus for me though beyond all of the above is being able to spell his name .

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    I’m just wondering if he’d be an interesting option to give us cover at both positions and he can kick a football.
    Being tracked by Sheffield United to play on the right of a back 3. Which is also a position we need some cover in, and some more ball playing defenders if we are going to persist with 3 centre backs.

If we are persisting with wing backs I'd be happy to see another youngster given a chance as back up.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    I doubt MM will want him. In and out of the Sunderland team, he'll hardly be ready for PL football. . I know a few Mackems and they're not sold on him.

In all seriousness, I don't think he's all that and he was horrendous by the time he was dropped. It was absolutely criminal we let Peltier go last season without adequate cover considering Jazz's horrendous injury issues. Always difficult to judge a young player but I'm not sure Sanderson is good enough going forwards to cover his defensive lapses. He's a solid player and I think he'll probably end up at this level but he's not there yet.

He's quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I doubt MM will want him. In and out of the Sunderland team, he'll hardly be ready for PL football. . I know a few Mackems and they're not sold on him.

In all seriousness, I don't think he's all that and he was horrendous by the time he was dropped. It was absolutely criminal we let Peltier go last season without adequate cover considering Jazz's horrendous injury issues. Always difficult to judge a young player but I'm not sure Sanderson is good enough going forwards to cover his defensive lapses. He's a solid player and I think he'll probably end up at this level but he's not there yet.
    Peltier didn't fit the system and extending a player's contract who doesn't have a future at the club is a bit risky. Bacuna had played the run-in as a RB and had done well enough.

Would be interesting to see how Sanderson is getting on this year - playing as a CB you assume his defensive play is improving - but think Bagan is the better prospect and I think he has some issues still to be worked on. Wouldn't say no to Sanderson mind given there was something there and did well in majority of the games.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post

Jazz's decision not to play for us after lockdown has worked out well.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Agreed...NG’s arrival has been pivotal in our recent success.
    Given us a genuine right sided full back / wing back, and enabled us to play 3-5-2
    We have to keep him fit, and get Tutu back ASAP as cover.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Peltier didn't fit the system and extending a player's contract who doesn't have a future at the club is a bit risky. Bacuna had played the run-in as a RB and had done well enough.

Would be interesting to see how Sanderson is getting on this year - playing as a CB you assume his defensive play is improving - but think Bagan is the better prospect and I think he has some issues still to be worked on. Wouldn't say no to Sanderson mind given there was something there and did well in majority of the games.
    Harris' system didn't suit anyone . Peltier didn't have to get renewed but we might have gone up with a proper right back!

Ng is a much better player than Sanderson, it's night and day. Sanderson is not good enough going forward to compensate for his defensive lapses and constantly giving the ball away.

I think he has shades of McNaughton and Delaney in there. Can see him playing at a higher level in the near future

I’d say there is enough about Sanderson to pick up as back up, seeing as though there isn’t anybody else there who can play (unless we sign the Arsenal lad)

I wouldn’t be against signing him if he’s available on a free or nominal fee

Quote Originally Posted by Natman Blue View Post
    I think he has shades of McNaughton and Delaney in there. Can see him playing at a higher level in the near future
    I'd say McNaughton was quick and strong defensively, but he wasn't that good on the ball