+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: McCarthy eyeing Lawrence's record

McCarthy eyeing Lawrence's record

10 games in, 7 wins 3 draws. It's been an extraordinary turn around that nobody could ever have predicted.

Sir Leonard of Lawrence won 11 of his first 14 games, drawing the remaining 3. His first defeat was a certain home leg to Stoke in the playoffs.

Lennie's run is easily the best run a new manager has ever had at Cardiff City, but Mick's run is as equally impressive, even if Lennie won 8 of his first 10. What is also interesting that in both of their opening 10 games, we scored 21 goals. Lennie had a 7-1 at Oldham to thank. Lennie's side conceded 7 in his first 10 games. Mick's has conceded 6.

It might come as a surprise, but conceding 6 in 10 games with 5 clean sheets is nowhere near our best defensive display over 10 games. Dave Jones' FA cup finalists went through a spell of conceding 6 goals in 14 games with 8 clean sheets. There are 3 occasions where we've conceded 2 goals in 10 games and kept 8 clean sheets - 1921, 1924 and 1976, though the 1976 stat includes games from the end of the previous season.

International

Re: McCarthy eyeing Lawrence's record

We won 6 before the Boro draw Eric, so if we win another 5 after this one I'll be more than happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    10 games in, 7 wins 3 draws. It's been an extraordinary turn around that nobody could ever have predicted.

Sir Leonard of Lawrence won 11 of his first 14 games, drawing the remaining 3. His first defeat was a certain home leg to Stoke in the playoffs.

Lennie's run is easily the best run a new manager has ever had at Cardiff City, but Mick's run is as equally impressive, even if Lennie won 8 of his first 10. What is also interesting that in both of their opening 10 games, we scored 21 goals. Lennie had a 7-1 at Oldham to thank. Lennie's side conceded 7 in his first 10 games. Mick's has conceded 6.

It might come as a surprise, but conceding 6 in 10 games with 5 clean sheets is nowhere near our best defensive display over 10 games. Dave Jones' FA cup finalists went through a spell of conceding 6 goals in 14 games with 8 clean sheets. There are 3 occasions where we've conceded 2 goals in 10 games and kept 8 clean sheets - 1921, 1924 and 1976, though the 1976 stat includes games from the end of the previous season.
    Eric, since you are so good at this, when did we last win 2 home games in a row 4-0?

If it's been posted already I apologise.

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    Eric, since you are so good at this, when did we last win 2 home games in a row 4-0?

If it's been posted already I apologise.

Great question. My spreadsheet doesn't include Welsh cup games, so there's a possibility that there have been successive 4-0 home wins including the Welsh cup. We've never won 4-0 at home in Europe.

Inclusive of all English league and cup competitions, this is the first time Cardiff City have won back-to-back home games 4-0. The closest was this season when we won 4-0 and 3-0. In 1964 we won two home games 4-0 with a 3-1 home defeat sandwiched between.

This season is also the first time we've won 3 home games by 4-0.

Great question. My spreadsheet doesn't include Welsh cup games, so there's a possibility that there have been successive 4-0 home wins including the Welsh cup. We've never won 4-0 at home in Europe.

Inclusive of all English league and cup competitions, this is the first time Cardiff City have won back-to-back home games 4-0. The closest was this season when we won 4-0 and 3-0. In 1964 we won two home games 4-0 with a 3-1 home defeat sandwiched between.

Didn’t we beat Derry 4-0 at home Eric?

Not got anything to hand, I can check this with, but I think we may have won three successive games with an aggregate of 13-0 in 70/71 - Newport and Bangor 4-0 and 5-0 at home in the Welsh Cup and 4-0 at Sunderland in the old Second Division.

Im pretty sure we beat Derry 4 nil at home.

Wow! Very glad I asked and thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Not got anything to hand, I can check this with, but I think we may have won three successive games with an aggregate of 13-0 in 70/71 - Newport and Bangor 4-0 and 5-0 at home in the Welsh Cup and 4-0 at Sunderland in the old Second Division.
    Gilligan hat trick wasn’t it?

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    Wow! Very glad I asked and thanks for the info!

I've done some further delving and I can now correct my original information.

We have won successive home games 4-0. On 11 April 1992 we beat Halifax Town 4-0 and then beat Maesteg Park 4-0 a week later in the semi final of the Welsh cup. I think that second leg should have been played at Maesteg but was moved on police advice, so technically that was the away leg, but played at home.

We also have won 3 home games 4-0 in a season - 1970/71 if you include a 4-0 home win over Newport County in the Welsh cup.

Yes, we did beat Derry 4-0. Oversight on my part.

You are certainly correct with the other. We beat Newport 4-0 on 10 Feb 1971 and Bangor 5-0 on 17 Feb 1971. In between we won 4-0 at Sunderland. We also kept a clean sheet with Oxford prior to the County game. When I get some time, I'll enter the Welsh cup results to my database as well. I've got John Crooks' Cardiff City Chronology but it only goes as far as 1986. After that, dates tend to be difficult to come by. I only got the date of the Maesteg Park game from a programme on sale on ebay!

Sir Leonard of Lawrence.
    #accidentalpartridge

International

I've done some further delving and I can now correct my original information.

We have won successive home games 4-0. On 11 April 1992 we beat Halifax Town 4-0 and then beat Maesteg Park 4-0 a week later in the semi final of the Welsh cup. I think that second leg should have been played at Maesteg but was moved on police advice, so technically that was the away leg, but played at home.

We also have won 3 home games 4-0 in a season - 1970/71 if you include a 4-0 home win over Newport County in the Welsh cup.
    So we aint done it in the league, so you weren't too far out.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    So we aint done it in the league, so you weren't too far out.
    Nope. I think it's a pretty impressive record and a great question to be asked!

In 2009 we beat Derby 6-1 at home and the next game we won 4-0 away at Watford

Quote Originally Posted by Grandstand Boy View Post
    In 2009 we beat Derby 6-1 at home and the next game we won 4-0 away at Watford
    We did, after losing 5 of the previous 6!!

Mick McCarthy's run is a division above Lennie's. This is a tougher division.

Once again, I’ve not checked this, but I’m sure we had a great scoring run at home in the 98/99 promotion season where we scored three or four each game during a six or seven match winning run.

It included a 4-2 win over Mansfield in a top of the table game, there was the 3-0 Boxing Day win over Shrewsbury where I stood on the Grange End in torrential rain and caught the worst bout of flu of my life and there was the 4-1 win over top of the table Brentford which included that great Jason Fowler goal - this season has been a bit similar to that run in that we don’t win at home unless we score three or more.

Once again, I’ve not checked this, but I’m sure we had a great scoring run at home in the 98/99 promotion season where we scored three or four each game during a six or seven match winning run.

It included a 4-2 win over Mansfield in a top of the table game, there was the 3-0 Boxing Day win over Shrewsbury where I stood on the Grange End in torrential rain and caught the worst bout of flu of my life and there was the 4-1 win over top of the table Brentford which included that great Jason Fowler goal - this season has been a bit similar to that run in that we don’t win at home unless we score three or more.
    That was a brilliant individual goal by Jason Fowler, though there was a theory on the Bob Bank that he didn't enjoy playing much in a spot of drizzle or if it was cold.