+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe Bennett

Joe Bennett

I’m a long standing critic of Joe Bennett, I think he’s been a liability at left back.

In all my years supporting City I’ve never seen a player so culpable, for so many goals conceded.

I’d have shipped him out, long ago.

However, since he’s been pushed further forward as a wing back, he’s been re-born.

For me, he’s been one of our best and most consistent players in this unbeaten run, and continued that tonight, with an excellently weighted ball to play Bacuna in for the first goal.

Such a shame he picked up what looks like a serious injury, he’ll be missed.

Words, I could never imagine myself ever saying about him.

Wishing Joe a speedy recovery!

Re: Joe Bennett

Yes, agree with all that, let's hope he gets to kick a ball again this season.

Having said that, who knows whether we'll be seeing the start of something really good if young Bagan takes his chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    Yes, agree with all that, let's hope he gets to kick a ball again this season.

Having said that, who knows whether we'll be seeing the start of something really good if young Bagan takes his chance.
    Yep, it's never nice to see a player sustain a horrible injury. However, I tend to agree that often situations like this provide opportunities for others to show what they can do. Just look at how well Phillips has done.

Speedy recovery.

Hes been a great signing and a fantastic full back for us.

The 1st 3 paragraphs of the op show how spoilt our newer fans are.

Number One left back with all the managers he's played under.
    Nuff said!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Joe

Bennett has been quality for us, even at full back.
    he managed to win Warnock over with his defending which should tell you a lot.
    wing back is definitely his more natural position though, I think it was Trollope who signed him to play wing back, but didn't really get to use him as he was initially injured.

at least we will get to see if Bagan is really up to it now, he's looked decent so far, solid defensively and comfortable on the ball, without being that threatening - I think that will come with confidence.
    I did notice Dillon Phillips having to shove him into the right place at a corner last night, as he wasn't on his man- but that'll come with experience.

at least with a good run of games we will know if we need to sign a starting left back or a back up

I think Bagan looks more than capable of stepping in. Looks a quality footballer.

He looks a bit weak in the air though and could get targeted. With 2 giant centre backs hopefully that wont be an issue.

Mick McCarthy

“It’s his knee, and he’ll have it assessed tomorrow. I’m not a doctor or a surgeon, but he’s not in good shape at the moment. You could tell it was a really sore one."

Mick continued: “I have absolutely zero worries about Joel Bagan. He’s been very unfortunate to have such a good and experienced player in front of him, or he’d be playing. I love Joel, and he’s got big things ahead of him. He’s terrific.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird23 View Post
    I’m a long standing critic of Joe Bennett, I think he’s been a liability at left back.

In all my years supporting City I’ve never seen a player so culpable, for so many goals conceded.

I’d have shipped him out, long ago.

However, since he’s been pushed further forward as a wing back, he’s been re-born.

For me, he’s been one of our best and most consistent players in this unbeaten run, and continued that tonight, with an excellently weighted ball to play Bacuna in for the first goal.

Such a shame he picked up what looks like a serious injury, he’ll be missed.

Words, I could never imagine myself ever saying about him.

Wishing Joe a speedy recovery!
    The first three paragraphs of this confirm to me just how little you know about football and that you are an attention seeker. Enough said.

I think this new formation has helped his weakest trait [positioning] as Nelson has been very good at coming across and also utilised his biggest strength [energy, pace]

I agree, not a fan of Bennett in a 4 but a big fan in a back 5. Seems to be encouraged to get into more intelligent positions too now by MM

Think that may have been his last game for us unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Number One left back with all the managers he's played under.
    Nuff said!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Joe
    Says it all really

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I think this new formation has helped his weakest trait [positioning] as Nelson has been very good at coming across and also utilised his biggest strength [energy, pace]

I agree, not a fan of Bennett in a 4 but a big fan in a back 5. Seems to be encouraged to get into more intelligent positions too now by MM

Think that may have been his last game for us unfortunately
    Regardless of this I hope he's back playing and playing well soon, however you're right to point out it's come at an awkward time for him and the club with his contract soon expiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Mick McCarthy

“It’s his knee, and he’ll have it assessed tomorrow. I’m not a doctor or a surgeon, but he’s not in good shape at the moment. You could tell it was a really sore one."

Mick continued: “I have absolutely zero worries about Joel Bagan. He’s been very unfortunate to have such a good and experienced player in front of him, or he’d be playing. I love Joel, and he’s got big things ahead of him. He’s terrific.”
    have to agree i am a huge fan of Bagan. I am sure he will do well and keep his place.
    Spedger

Club tweet confirms Joe Bennett has a torn ACL.

Bad news - but no surprise from the way he went down.

All the best, Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Club tweet confirms Joe Bennett has a torn ACL.

Bad news - but no surprise from the way he went down.

All the best, Joe.
    What a shame, all the best Joe.

I hope that the club do the decent thing and give him a two-year contract.

Quote Originally Posted by NottinghamBlue View Post
    What a shame, all the best Joe.

I hope that the club do the decent thing and give him a two-year contract.
    that's precisely what we did with Sol Bamba

usually between 9 -12 months recovery to get back to full fitness after surgery

one of the worse injuries for a sports person

To be honest, the surprise would have been if it wasn’t an ACL injury. Here’s hoping for a full and quick recovery for Joe.

Ciaron Brown can play left back, but a big opportunity for Joel Bagan.

he is 30 now aswell , not a great injury at that age

as i follow netball aswell now, the ACL is one of the most common serious netball injuries, England Roses Beth Cobden has suffered 3 ACL injuries, she has made it back every time, currently back and in with a shout of another england call up, so its not over for Joe yet

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    To be honest, the surprise would have been if it wasn’t an ACL injury. Here’s hoping for a full and quick recovery for Joe.

Ciaron Brown can play left back, but a big opportunity for Joel Bagan.
    I'm sickened by the general lack of concern ( not you personally) for the boy himself. He hasn't got a new contract yet and this could potentially be career ending.
    I was at the game in Blackpool many years ago when Barrie Jones was carried off and we never imagined how serious that would be. I can only pray that this isn't another such thing.

yes when i studied the ACL injury topic after my lad had it done playing Futsal I notice a high number of ACL injuries in netball too Blue matt .

the common demoninator i guess being playing on hard surface at high tempo and speed your very vulnerable to that type of injury

I think skiing gets alot of ACL injuries too

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    he is 30 now aswell , not a great injury at that age

as i follow netball aswell now, the ACL is one of the most common serious netball injuries, England Roses Beth Cobden has suffered 3 ACL injuries, she has made it back every time, currently back and in with a shout of another england call up, so its not over for Joe yet
    Thats right.
    This was a career ending injury only a relatively short space of time ago.
    Shearer and Gascoigne were among the first footballers i can remember having an ACL tear and the reporting on it at the time was touch and go.
    They made full recoveries.

If you or I suffered one it might be different but top sportspeople recover all the time these days with all the technology and support in place.

A lot of hard work needs to still happen by Joe though so providing he has the mental strength, the motivation and doesn't go on the Lee Tomlin diet, he could well be back in a City shirt.
    Fingers crossed🤞

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    yes when i studied the ACL injury topic after my lad had it done playing Futsal I notice a high number of ACL injuries in netball too Blue matt .

the common demoninator i guess being playing on hard surface at high tempo and speed your very vulnerable to that type of injury

I think skiing gets alot of ACL injuries too
    I agree, hard surface and quick change of direction , Futsal and Netball have them both in common, when i researched it, it seems a good warm up and stretching of the ACL's really does help

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Thats right.
    This was a career ending injury only a relatively short space of time ago.
    Shearer and Gascoigne were among the first footballers i can remember having an ACL tear and the reporting on it at the time was touch and go.
    They made full recoveries.

If you or I suffered one it might be different but top sportspeople recover all the time these days with all the technology and support in place.

A lot of hard work needs to still happen by Joe though so providing he has the mental strength, the motivation and doesn't go on the Lee Tomlin diet, he could well be back in a City shirt.
    Fingers crossed��
    I know a young ( ish ) girl ( she is in her 20's ) that plays for a Development team with my daughter, she had a bad ACL tear, she stayed fit ( ish ) and was back playing netball in 2 years, that was via NHS physio work, i must admit, she has lost a massive edge to her game and people seem to think she holds back as to not have the same Injury

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I agree, hard surface and quick change of direction , Futsal and Netball have them both in common, when i researched it, it seems a good warm up and stretching of the ACL's really does help

I know a young ( ish ) girl ( she is in her 20's ) that plays for a Development team with my daughter, she had a bad ACL tear, she stayed fit ( ish ) and was back playing netball in 2 years, that was via NHS physio work, i must admit, she has lost a massive edge to her game and people seem to think she holds back as to not have the same Injury
    I suppose success will vary from case to case. No doubt you do need to have the mental strength.

Gascoigne didn't seem to be the player he was after his recuperation but Shearer seemed to carry on like nothing had ever happened.