+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Anyone ever been to Wentworth...the golf club that is...

Anyone ever been to Wentworth...the golf club that is...

...if you can be bothered to read it all, an interesting tale of the rich and super-rich and possibly an insight into where Vincent Tan is touting ownership of our club.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/202..._b-aplnews_d-1

Re: Anyone ever been to Wentworth...the golf club that is...

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    ...if you can be bothered to read it all, an interesting tale of the rich and super-rich and possibly an insight into where Vincent Tan is touting ownership of our club.

1976, World Matchplay. Hale Irwin was dormie 6 [or 7]. David Graham won on the 2nd play off hole. Remember going about Virginia Water and even now can remember the homes - the ones you could reach anyway.

Played there in the early 80’s and an extortionate green fees payable …..£20 a day. Shocking prices. Lovely course, bloody long off the back tees.

A number of times for social reasons but not to play golf.
    It is a stunning course and venue.

A friend of mine a won round of golf there in a draw, and when he asked a member, how much the annual fees were, he was told, if you have to ask that, you can’t afford to be a member.

International

I skimmed through that article and could see no reference to VT, nor any acknowledgement that he is 'touting' the club? Where does that info come from?

Yep - very nice. A lovely course and clubhouse set in a beautiful area, with Sunningdale nearby (another fabulous course).

Virginia Water is one of the most expensive places in the UK to live

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

I was fortunate to be invited to play there by BT (had a mate who worked for BT and they had a cancellation so I stepped in)

The course is exactly as you see it on TV but what you don’t see is the gardens of the houses that back onto it. Big expensive landscaping and exotic plants.

I hooked a ball a couple of yards out of bounds into someones garden and thought I would reach in and collect it. Seriously you’d think I was robbing the Crown Jewels the way these guys in dark suits went on about it.

I remember Tony Jacklin was in the bar when we finished but he was surrounded by sycophants and I was more interested in having a beer but a wonderful day out.

Didn’t see any Chinese blokes around

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I skimmed through that article and could see no reference to VT, nor any acknowledgement that he is 'touting' the club? Where does that info come from?
    Reminded me of reports (shortly after the rebrand) that VT changed to red because it's popular / lucky in China and there was also speculation that that's where at one time he was looking to offload. Not so sure that's still his intention but it's evident there are plenty of mega-rich in China looking to diversify their investments - example Wolves

International

Reminded me of reports (shortly after the rebrand) that VT changed to red because it's popular / lucky in China and there was also speculation that that's where at one time he was looking to offload. Not so sure that's still his intention but it's evident there are plenty of mega-rich in China looking to diversify their investments - example Wolves
    Tenuous at best. I thought you meant his trying to offload the club at Wentworth lol