+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Harry Wilson....

Harry Wilson....

...such an enigma.

At his best, without doubt one of the top players in the division. Where he was outstanding on loan at Derby.

I believe he even scored seven in the Premier League for Bournemouth, last season.

Yet, for some reason, he’s not really doing it for us.

He’ll show the odd moment of magic like his recent superb goal or a decent free kick, but his contribution is almost negligible.

The free kick apart, he offered nothing at Middlesborough on Saturday, and I wasn’t surprised to see him left out tonight.

A player with his ability, should be dominating at this level, not be a peripheral figure.

If MM can find a way to get him on the ball more and bring out the best in him, it could be the difference between possibly going up, or staying in this division.

Re: Harry Wilson....

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird23 View Post
    ...such an enigma.

At his best, without doubt one of the top players in the division. Where he was outstanding on loan at Derby.

I believe he even scored seven in the Premier League for Bournemouth, last season.

He’ll show the odd moment of magic like his recent superb goal or a decent free kick, but his contribution is almost negligible.

The free kick apart, he offered nothing at Middlesborough on Saturday, and I wasn’t surprised to see him left out tonight.

A player with his ability, should be dominating at this level, not be a peripheral figure.

If MM can find a way to get him on the ball more and bring out the best in him, it could be the difference between possibly going up, or staying in this division.
    Not sure he’s worth his place in the team at the moment

I think his performances have improved a fair but under MM but could say the same for everyone.

He's got a lot of talent but we have to accept he is going to have the ball a lot less when playing for us.

Joint second for number of assists in the championship this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    Joint second for number of assists in the championship this season.
    8 assists and a few goals isn't bad.

I think he's exceptional and getting better under MM.

The Boro game was not for him.

He was rested last night that's all.

I dare say that if MM had been with us since the start of the season HW would have performed consistently and be recognised statistically as the best midfielder in the division.

Done better since MM came in. I thought he may have had a slight niggle and or was being rested.

Team from boro needed freshening up.

Hopefully just rested last night and back in Friday.

...such an enigma.

A little harsh I think. The stats alone suggest he's playing well; second in the league assists charts, second in the most chances created per 90 mins, and 4 goals.

I would agree that he could be more consistent but, aside from Moore, he's our most effective attacker.

I think he gives us that extra bit if quality needed especially in tighter games.

I think his goalscoring record is a bit disappointing, but that needs to be looked at against a backdrop which has us established as second top scorers in the division with a nice little buffer above the next highest scoring side. Wilson’s assist record is fine and I’d say his stats would look better still if stats could be produced for touches per goal or assist, because I’d guess that he is getting less touches per game with us than he was at Hull, Derby and Bournemouth.

if Bacuna had been poor yesterday everyone would be clamouring to get him back in the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    if Bacuna had been poor yesterday everyone would be clamouring to get him back in the side.
    Im still clamouring for him to get in the side.😂

We played very well yesterday. But Derby were hopeless. Unorganised didnt look as if they had a clue what they were doing.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think his goalscoring record is a bit disappointing, but that needs to be looked at against a backdrop which has us established as second top scorers in the division with a nice little buffer above the next highest scoring side. Wilson’s assist record is fine and I’d say his stats would look better still if stats could be produced for touches per goal or assist, because I’d guess that he is getting less touches per game with us than he was at Hull, Derby and Bournemouth.
    His key passes per a game is 1.9. well above other people in our team - although Ralls is 1.2
    He's also the highest crosser
    One of the lowest long ball
    and only him and Ojo are playing through balls

it would be good to have those sorts of comparisons as I'd say in a team like Bournemouth he'd be much more involved

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    Not sure he’s worth his place in the team at the moment
    Based on a comparison with Ojo's performance last night you'd probably opt for Ojo, who certainly has a bit more running, chasing down in him.

We will need that extra bit of quality from Wilson in tight games, as recently as that game against Luton could so easily have ended in a draw / defeat if Wilson hadn’t opened them up, he gives us that something extra that nobody else in the team can provide

...such an enigma.

Negligable contribution !! For goodness sake. What are you on. Are you going to start a separate thread for each one of our players saying how useless they are ? He is one of the few players who would get people into the grounds in the first place and then off their seats during the games. He was rested yesterday by the way - don't take my word for it, listen to Micks post match interview.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Negligable contribution !! For goodness sake. What are you on. Are you going to start a separate thread for each one of our players saying how useless they are ? He is one of the few players who would get people into the grounds in the first place and then off their seats during the games. He was rested yesterday by the way - don't take my word for it, listen to Micks post match interview.
    I agree, I think he was just rested last night, same as Murphy. We had Bacuna and Ojo come in and play well. It's about the only part of the team that can be rotated, except for Ralls in midfield, or maybe Williams. Wilson scored a cracker at Luton and does create lot (8 assists too). Hoilett looks out of the picture with those four playing/rotating. McCarthy see the squad every day and knows when to bench people and when to bring them back in. It seems to working. Is this the same person who wanted Bennett 'out of the club'?

We have done very well getting Ojo, Wilson and Moore last summer, probably the best front 3 in the division, certainly Moore is the best striker. I can't understand why some fans are moaning at the moment.

Onward and upward (hopefully!).

I think he's class and gets stuck in too. Boro was one game too far for him and should really have sat that one out. He will be integral to our form during the run in and hopefully the play offs.

I'd say anyone saying he has made a negligible contribution either hasn't been watching or just doesn't understand football.

He's been our most creative player ffs, the only thing holding him back is how the rest of the team is set up and plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I'd say anyone saying he has made a negligible contribution either hasn't been watching or just doesn't understand football.

He's been our most creative player ffs, the only thing holding him back is how the rest of the team is set up and plays.
    Ridiculous isn't it, only the OP could turn this amazing run into a negative. 🙄

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I agree, I think he was just rested last night, same as Murphy. We had Bacuna and Ojo come in and play well. It's about the only part of the team that can be rotated, except for Ralls in midfield, or maybe Williams. Wilson scored a cracker at Luton and does create lot (8 assists too). Hoilett looks out of the picture with those four playing/rotating. McCarthy see the squad every day and knows when to bench people and when to bring them back in. It seems to working. Is this the same person who wanted Bennett 'out of the club'?

We have done very well getting Ojo, Wilson and Moore last summer, probably the best front 3 in the division, certainly Moore is the best striker. I can't understand why some fans are moaning at the moment.

Onward and upward (hopefully!).
    I wouldn't cay that it is certain that Moore is the best striker in the division.
    there are 4 players who have scored more goals, and if sold Toney especially would be worth a lot more you would have thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I wouldn't cay that it is certain that Moore is the best striker in the division.
    there are 4 players who have scored more goals, and if sold Toney especially would be worth a lot more you would have thought.
    I think that Toney is clearly the top striker in the division and Moore is the best of the rest. Armstrong and Pukki may have scored more goals than him, but Moore is the better all-round player in my opinion.