+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: In Hindsight Should The Club Acted Earlier

In Hindsight Should The Club Acted Earlier

Always easy in hindsight , however I wonder if the clubs decisions makers now think they should have grabbed Sir Mick earlier on, as it looks like were 6 points off the pace even with our good run , as I suspect it wont last .

I was all for keeping Harris until the end of the season out of pure loyalty ,what he did at the rear end of last season, and the strange times were in , shows what I know .

Re: In Hindsight Should The Club Acted Earlier

the run of games we lost were mostly against top teams (Norwich twice and Brentford) and when we were missing or just had key players return from injury. if Mick McCarthy had been brought in 5 games earlier we could easily have still lost those games and then it might have been difficult to have gone on this excellent run.

Impossible to say. It could have had the effect of bringing this magnificent run one game earlier so we put in tired performance against Bournemouth and bounce back against Boro, although the latter wouldn't have made 6 changes to starting 11 and would have been a much tougher game than last night.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Always easy in hindsight , however I wonder if the clubs decisions makers now think they should have grabbed Sir Mick earlier on, as it looks like were 6 points off the pace even with our good run , as I suspect it wont last .

I was all for keeping Harris until the end of the season out of pure loyalty ,what he did at the rear end of last season, and the strange times were in , shows what I know .
    There is another possibility if MM had taken over at the beginning of December say. He would have come up against far stiffer opposition than he has so far and been less likely to go on such a good winning run.

So no, for me the change happened at exactly the right time. It coincided with a run of winnable games that enabled Mick to gradually rebuild the player's confidence and introduce new tactics without coming up against any of the divisions big hitters

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

the run of games we lost were mostly against top teams (Norwich twice and Brentford) and when we were missing or just had key players return from injury. if Mick McCarthy had been brought in 5 games earlier we could easily have still lost those games and then it might have been difficult to have gone on this excellent run.
    I think we were typing almost identical responses at the same time !

He only left his job with Apoel on Jan 5th, so I doubt he would have been on the clubs radar if Harris had left before then.

Given what's happened, I think wishing for more is pretty demanding. His start is beyond anything we could have dreamed of, I wouldn't change anything.

He's not going to win almost every game from here on so we can't just plop it back a few games and say we'd be 6 points better off.

Harris should have gone long before he did, in saying that MM might have been working in Cyprus.

We can still get 89 points can’t we?

If the club had acted sooner, then McCarthy might not have been available. We might have ended up with someone completely different. We could have been top by now - pr equally, we could have been bottom. It's all ifs and buts....

Six points off the pace?

I think with our squad, a decent manager would have got four/six points against Wycombe & QPR.

Even that amount could be crucial, come the end of the season if we miss out on the Playoffs.

Regardless, Harris should have been replaced long before he was.

The writing was on the wall, in the pre-season hammering at Northampton. And other than the four game winning streak, we never really got going, or had any consistency.

Harris should never have been appointed. Nearly everyone said that at the time and the last 10 games have proved everyone of us right.

He should have been sacked way sooner. The football was terrible and the underlying trend absolutely terminal. But people didn’t want to hear it.

Ok we are still in the honeymoon phase with Big Mick but he has just shown what a completely inept manager Harris is.