+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Budget

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: The Budget

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    For what it's worth I thought it was an interesting question and found this research: https://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/id/eprin...%20Kingdom.pdf

According to this research in the 2017 general election of the 1295 doctors who responded 46.3% voted Labour, 19.7% voted Conservative, 16.9% Liberal Democrat, 3% Greens. Very strong 'Remain' leanings (76.6%). Still a relatively small sample but perhaps more representative than quoting family members, personal acquaintances etc. Make of it what you will.
    I think quoting family members and personal experience, is useful because it is the reality that shapes us and our opinions, for example, you have used stats to tell me that, my intuitions about the NHS staff are actually statistically incorrect, fair enough.

But your same statistics told us, that Bridged was a Labour stronghold, that Boris would not win by a large majority and that Remain would win the Brexit vote.

So when people act shocked and surprised that a Welsh working class town like Bridgend, would turn blue and vote leave and ask how did it happen, And I turn around and say well actually I know these people I work with them day to day in the NHS and while it may be surprising to you they are doctors and nurses.
    and my family and friends who live in Bridgend have been telling me this for months before the election...
    So while it is possible that my perceptions are off and I am in a echo chamber, but then how have my personal observations been proved correct and the stats and polls consistently incorrect.

Re: The Budget

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    I think quoting family members and personal experience, is useful because it is the reality that shapes us and our opinions, for example, you have used stats to tell me that, my intuitions about the NHS staff are actually statistically incorrect, fair enough.

But your same statistics told us, that Bridged was a Labour stronghold, that Boris would not win by a large majority and that Remain would win the Brexit vote.

So when people act shocked and surprised that a Welsh working class town like Bridgend, would turn blue and vote leave and ask how did it happen, And I turn around and say well actually I know these people I work with them day to day in the NHS and while it may be surprising to you they are doctors and nurses.
    and my family and friends who live in Bridgend have been telling me this for months before the election...
    So while it is possible that my perceptions are off and I am in a echo chamber, but then how have my personal observations been proved correct and the stats and polls consistently incorrect.
    They're not my statistics I just looked them up out of interest whilst reading this thread. They are based on how people say they actually voted, not intent. It's still a small sample size though so could of course be some way off but just put it up as an alternative to personal anecdotes.