Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
Fantastic pay deal for those that have put their lives on the line for us , quite literally , from the conservatives

1 percent pay rise for nurses and doctors

That clap Boris was doing was clearly one handed

What a bunch of tossers
1% sounds like bugger all, and for a newly qualified nurse on £25K it's just a fiver a week. For a consultant it's £20 a week or more. Trouble with NHS is that it does not have performance related pay.

You are right Sludge some in the NHS have put their lives on the line but others haven't. I know of senior doctors with little to do because their specialities have stopped clinics, operations etc. Do they deserve a pay rise or should more be given to those on the Covid front line?

And how about the 10-20% of patients who caught Covid whilst in hospital? Some people in the NHS are responsible for these cross infections as the cause is poor infection control. Do they deserve a pay rise?

In England, (and currently it's England that's offered the 1%,) 385,000 Covid patients been in hospital in the year since the pandemic started. Approx 57,000 caught it whilst in hospital for something else.

I know there have been peaks and troughs in numbers but averaging them out there have been roughly 32,000 people a month in hospital with Covid. NHS England has 1.2m staff. If they all looked after Covid patients that would be 38 staff just looking after one patient.

As we know it's not like that at all. So like you I feel the front line Covid facing NHS staff deserve a fair rise. As for the rest, they are much more fortunate than many to have a job in the current climate