+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Budget

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: The Budget

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    But the Chief exec of the RCN says they deserve 12.5% rise. Your 3% isnt going to satisfy them.
    well I don't agree with her

But 1 percent is taking the piss

Same old tories

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    YouGov poll after budget has with a 13-point lead over Labour.

""Their budget was the most popular in a decade, with 55 per cent of people describing it as “fair”""
    The joy of government is that the people are stupid .......

The old twat was right ✅

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The joy of government is that the people are stupid .......

The old twat was right ✅
    There we are then, we're all stupid. Let's move on to the football..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    There we are then, we're all stupid. Let's move on to the football..
    people who vote tory are either stupid or capitalists

Its as basic as that really

The country is being run by a liar , and the budget , given to us by a hedge fund chancer is full of holes

As you were

This country is shooting itself in the foot

But there you go , onto the football

well I don't agree with her

But 1 percent is taking the piss

Same old tories
    3 to 4% would be reasonable.

Despite what Nadine Dorries said the country can afford it.

In today's very polarised society it clearly says a great deal about the type of person you are. You've only got to look at this board to see the proof of that. For example, I could go through the list of names of people who have contributed to this thread and been about 90 per cent accurate as to what side of the political divide they belong in, it's the same way with something like Covid and, in many cases, the links they put on here.

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    In today's very polarised society it clearly says a great deal about the type of person you are. You've only got to look at this board to see the proof of that. For example, I could go through the list of names of people who have contributed to this thread and been about 90 per cent accurate as to what side of the political divide they belong in, it's the same way with something like Covid and, in many cases, the links they put on here.
    I don't find that society is very polarised today, certainly no more than any other time. If it were so polarised all those erstwhile Labour seats would never have fallen to the tories because the polarised voters would never have changed their allegiance. Thats not to say that opinons on here aren't polarised!

Oh dear, so sorry. Perhaps this board should just be for the left-leaning Guardian readers. Oh what fun you'll have looking down your noses at the rest..

Oh dear, so sorry. Perhaps this board should just be for the left-leaning Guardian readers. Oh what fun you'll have looking down your noses at the rest..
    You’re doing exactly the same thing that you accuse me of doing there.

One : Both pronouns—“one” and “you”—are what can be called indefinite, impersonal, or generic pronouns

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    One : Both pronouns—“one” and “you”—are what can be called indefinite, impersonal, or generic pronouns

Maybe, though I would say my comment was made with a touch of humour/irony, whereas yours came across as rather smug and supercilious.

Maybe, though I would say my comment was made with a touch of humour/irony, whereas yours came across as rather smug and supercilious.
    Why? Are you seriously saying that you do not know beforehand what many of the posters on here are likely to say if they’re commenting on things like politics and Covid? It’s just as easy to predict what’s coming from from people on either side of the argument as soon as you see who has posted a message, that’s why I said that people are, increasingly it seems, defined by their politics.

To use myself as an example, when was the last time I said something on politics which surprised you?

I was sure this thread was going to end when Sludge responded to everyone (including themselves) five times in a row but we're still going....

Nice to know that a socially liberal prime minister/government is one who makes it illegal for most adults (those not living together) to have sex for a year. Maybe this government is, this far, more center on economic scale compared to May and Cameron but socially more right wing?

P.s. I do enjoy seeing first post and where a thread has ended up on the last couple of pages. Who had Boris being accused of banning adults having sex in their prediction?

For what it's worth I thought it was an interesting question and found this research: https://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/id/eprin...%20Kingdom.pdf

According to this research in the 2017 general election of the 1295 doctors who responded 46.3% voted Labour, 19.7% voted Conservative, 16.9% Liberal Democrat, 3% Greens. Very strong 'Remain' leanings (76.6%). Still a relatively small sample but perhaps more representative than quoting family members, personal acquaintances etc. Make of it what you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    For what it's worth I thought it was an interesting question and found this research: https://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/id/eprin...%20Kingdom.pdf

According to this research in the 2017 general election of the 1295 doctors who responded 46.3% voted Labour, 19.7% voted Conservative, 16.9% Liberal Democrat, 3% Greens. Very strong 'Remain' leanings (76.6%). Still a relatively small sample but perhaps more representative than quoting family members, personal acquaintances etc. Make of it what you will.
    I think quoting family members and personal experience, is useful because it is the reality that shapes us and our opinions, for example, you have used stats to tell me that, my intuitions about the NHS staff are actually statistically incorrect, fair enough.

But your same statistics told us, that Bridged was a Labour stronghold, that Boris would not win by a large majority and that Remain would win the Brexit vote.

So when people act shocked and surprised that a Welsh working class town like Bridgend, would turn blue and vote leave and ask how did it happen, And I turn around and say well actually I know these people I work with them day to day in the NHS and while it may be surprising to you they are doctors and nurses.
    and my family and friends who live in Bridgend have been telling me this for months before the election...
    So while it is possible that my perceptions are off and I am in a echo chamber, but then how have my personal observations been proved correct and the stats and polls consistently incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    I think quoting family members and personal experience, is useful because it is the reality that shapes us and our opinions, for example, you have used stats to tell me that, my intuitions about the NHS staff are actually statistically incorrect, fair enough.

But your same statistics told us, that Bridged was a Labour stronghold, that Boris would not win by a large majority and that Remain would win the Brexit vote.

So when people act shocked and surprised that a Welsh working class town like Bridgend, would turn blue and vote leave and ask how did it happen, And I turn around and say well actually I know these people I work with them day to day in the NHS and while it may be surprising to you they are doctors and nurses.
    and my family and friends who live in Bridgend have been telling me this for months before the election...
    So while it is possible that my perceptions are off and I am in a echo chamber, but then how have my personal observations been proved correct and the stats and polls consistently incorrect.
    They're not my statistics I just looked them up out of interest whilst reading this thread. They are based on how people say they actually voted, not intent. It's still a small sample size though so could of course be some way off but just put it up as an alternative to personal anecdotes.

It's an eye-opener to me that people know how 20 of their work colleagues voted. I could hazard a guess in a few cases, but I don't even know for certain how close family members I don't live with any more voted. Having said that politics is a rare discussion point at work and home for me.

There's a lot of that about .

Those that work in the NHS are overwhelmingly anti Conservative. Some consultants who make a few quid in private clinics might be swayed but you talk to your average nurse or doctor and they will tell you exactly what they think of the conservatives .

A nurse voting tory is passing on her own chips

Thankfully there are very few of them about

The reason why Bridgend went blue was Brexit , nothing else . Sadly a lump of the electorate were fooled by Boris and his mob of liars .

Some of the Bridgend valleys receive huge funding from Europe 🇪🇺

When the money runs out they are fecked but they have made their choice so there you go

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Your view of the world, and the way it's population is divided up, is so fixed. It's quite odd. Northerners are decent; people in the south east are capitalist pigs; scaffolders support west ham; nobody in x part of London supports Y club etc. Now we have doctors aren't Tories? Come on. All doctors and nurses were medical students once. In my uni at least, it is hard to imagine a more nailed-on group of obnoxious tim-nice-but-dim Tories. I've written up a list of NHS workers I know. At least half are Tories, one of them even stood as a local councillor.
    well I know plenty of NHS workers and they wouldn't vote tory as long as they have a hole in their arse

International

well I know plenty of NHS workers and they wouldn't vote tory as long as they have a hole in their arse
    Maybe your not knowing any NHS workers who vote conservative may in part have to do with the fact that you wouldn't talk to anyone who you thought was a tory in the first place.

you should get to know as many tories as you can sludge. Remember, keep your friends close and your enemies closer!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    I would like to support this, the Believe that the NHS is in the vast majority anti tory is nonsense.

61% of Doctors are privately educated (BBC, 2016)

In response to sludge all I can do is provide my personal knowledge, My mother is a nurse in Bridgend and my sister is a nurse in Porthcawl.
    I am employed by the NHS (administrative role)

The three of us are Conservative voters, I would describe our politics as fiscally conservative, socially liberal, and you may regard us stupid for believing this, but we all genuinely believe Boris is doing a good job in representing our political persuasion of being right of center.
    I would like to suggest that the budget and financial packages over the last year, from our current government are evidence of this, being a moderate/conservative government, hence vindicating our vote

I Honestly, and genuinely believe that there is not large support or a secret motive to privatise the NHS, it is an easy slur to throw around, the rhetoric is as old as you and me, and evidence suggests it is completely fabricated.
    To this day Labour have done more in the way of privatising healthcare than any other party.

It is not popular to say this, but in Bridgend alone I can write down the name of 20 nurses I know personally who vote conservative, (and I don't know a whole lot more than those 20!) and I also have spent significant time in a local GP practice, and know for a fact that Brexit was largely supported by the staff as a whole, from the receptionists to the Doctors.

The point in all this, I believe one can believe in the politics of aspiration and conscious capitalism while supporting a world beating nationalised health service.
    socially Liberal?

Tell me you are taking the piss

The Conservatives parties attack on benefits for disabled people is an absolute fecking disgrace

Its like something out of nazi Germany

Socially Liberal

Get out of here

Understood. But unless you know them all you are in no position to say that almost nobody in the nhs votes Tory, are you? That’s the point. What this probably means is your friends are mostly anti Tory and that includes some that work in the nhs. That’s all.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Understood. But unless you know them all you are in no position to say that almost nobody in the nhs votes Tory, are you? That’s the point. What this probably means is your friends are mostly anti Tory and that includes some that work in the nhs. That’s all.
    82 percent of nurses at the last election voted Labour

Just 6 percent voted tory

More voted green and independent than tory

So I think I am indeed in a position to say that nurses don't vote tory

I hope that clears things up