+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Interesting Article in WSC

Interesting Article in WSC

Regarding gamesmanship. One suggestion was a way to stop the serial ‘taking one for the team’ by five different players, we’ve all witnessed it when a team’s ‘star man’ is systematically fouled by a different opponent in turn. The suggestion was to administer collective punishment as in, first bad foul would result in a yellow and the second, regardless of the offender, would be a red, if that suggestion seems too harsh, the cynical second fouler would be removed and a substitution used to replace him, thereby punishing the tactics of the offending team.
    Another one regarding suspensions, an offending player rather than be suspended for the next game which could be against the offended team’s main rivals, giving them an advantage, he should be suspended for the next game against the team that he was sent off against, whoever he was playing for at that time.
    One regarding Swansea was also mentioned, during their 0-0 draw at home to Reading, Reading had a three on one break, Olise was leading the charge but was hacked down by Ryan Bennett, who is booked, the resulting free kick, with every Swansea player back comes to nothing. The estimation of Reading scoring from the break was 25% apparently, if they had scored and gone on to win 1-0, in the tight race at the top it may have been quite significant. Now the suggestion here was, although it seems a bit hard to implement to me, was that the free kick would have to be taken with the players on the pitch taking up the positions prior to the foul, so Reading would be vastly outnumbering Swansea.
    As I said interesting.

Re: Interesting Article in WSC

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Regarding gamesmanship. One suggestion was a way to stop the serial ‘taking one for the team’ by five different players, we’ve all witnessed it when a team’s ‘star man’ is systematically fouled by a different opponent in turn. The suggestion was to administer collective punishment as in, first bad foul would result in a yellow and the second, regardless of the offender, would be a red, if that suggestion seems too harsh, the cynical second fouler would be removed and a substitution used to replace him, thereby punishing the tactics of the offending team.
    Another one regarding suspensions, an offending player rather than be suspended for the next game which could be against the offended team’s main rivals, giving them an advantage, he should be suspended for the next game against the team that he was sent off against, whoever he was playing for at that time.
    One regarding Swansea was also mentioned, during their 0-0 draw at home to Reading, Reading had a three on one break, Olise was leading the charge but was hacked down by Ryan Bennett, who is booked, the resulting free kick, with every Swansea player back comes to nothing. The estimation of Reading scoring from the break was 25% apparently, if they had scored and gone on to win 1-0, in the tight race at the top it may have been quite significant. Now the suggestion here was, although it seems a bit hard to implement to me, was that the free kick would have to be taken with the players on the pitch taking up the positions prior to the foul, so Reading would be vastly outnumbering Swansea.
    As I said interesting.
    That's a big "if".
    They'd have more than likely been awarded a pelanty late on!

The best way to stop persistent fouling is for a sin bin, 10 minutes. If a team goes down to ten men then nobody is going to risk fouling good players. I'd just rather leave things as they are, the game is turning into a non contact sport, cute fouls are part of the game for me, and if players get away with it then so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The best way to stop persistent fouling is for a sin bin, 10 minutes. If a team goes down to ten men then nobody is going to risk fouling good players. I'd just rather leave things as they are, the game is turning into a non contact sport, cute fouls are part of the game for me, and if players get away with it then so be it.
    Totally agree Thus the team the foulers are playing against get some advantage, not some other team, when the ban comes into force.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Totally agree Thus the team the foulers are playing against get some advantage, not some other team, when the ban comes into force.
    The player being banned the next time his team played against the side he was sent off against has some merit as well.