+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Left back options

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Left back options

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    From what I read they were positive about his time there, and his most recent loan spell was most successful, but "very well" might be pushing it.
    He took a bit of time to establish himself this time round but he seemed to be on a good run by the end. The Livingston manager was full of praise for him when he left there.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...hails-23417239

I only really saw him as a centre half and didn't feel he looked that comfortable going forward. I know he has played at left back up there but I'm not sure if he's done it as a wing back or not. Martin is a natural wing back but is just coming back from an injury so McCarthy may not have had much chance to assess him yet. Brown would be a more natural choice on the bench as he can cover at centre back too, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    He took a bit of time to establish himself this time round but he seemed to be on a good run by the end. The Livingston manager was full of praise for him when he left there.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...hails-23417239

I only really saw him as a centre half and didn't feel he looked that comfortable going forward. I know he has played at left back up there but I'm not sure if he's done it as a wing back or not. Martin is a natural wing back but is just coming back from an injury so McCarthy may not have had much chance to assess him yet. Brown would be a more natural choice on the bench as he can cover at centre back too, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.
    personally in this kind of formation I would much prefer to see a converted winger as wing back than a converted centre back.
    the formation is set up to give overloads in attacking wide positions, if you're getting an agricultural centre back on the ball in dangerous areas you're probably not making the most of it.

I haven't seen that much of Dan Martin, but in one game before his injury I thought he was excellent. came on for Greg Cunningham at half time and showed a lot more attacking intent than Cunningham had

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    personally in this kind of formation I would much prefer to see a converted winger as wing back than a converted centre back.
    the formation is set up to give overloads in attacking wide positions, if you're getting an agricultural centre back on the ball in dangerous areas you're probably not making the most of it.

I haven't seen that much of Dan Martin, but in one game before his injury I thought he was excellent. came on for Greg Cunningham at half time and showed a lot more attacking intent than Cunningham had
    That's how he rolls. Not exactly Warnock's idea of a full back and I assume he started packing his bags when he heard McCarthy was coming in but the move to a back five could be a godsend for him. I take your point about converted wingers but, for all his attacking flair, I think Martin will have to show he can defend first and foremost here. I can't vouch for his ability in that department but the fact that he's still here after three years suggests he's got something going for him. David Hughes was talking well of him in the commentary on Monday.

The time I saw him he was going 'oh f**k' when the ball wasn't reaching him after a lung busting run up the touchline, made me laugh. It didn't stop him making that run over and over again though which will be a useful attitude if our centre halves and midfielders are trying to find him with cross field balls. It's Bagan's position for now, and the best of luck to him, but it'll be interesting to see what the back-up plan is.