+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Mick signs new 2 year deal.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: McCarthy signs new deal

Feck it, I'm going with this one because it has the link and more people have commented so far. Apologies to Zowhore and hopefully they can be merged because I thought WJ99mobile had a good point.

My thought when he first signed on with us were as follows:

I want the manager who can successfully deliver on the aims to i) improve playing style, ii) bring through youth, iii) improve in transfer market, iv) establish longer term vision and v) keep us competitive with longer term plan of promotion that sticks.

If Mick McCarthy has the plan to meet those aims then I'm happy to give him a chance.

I don't think we have the resources to rip apart everything Warnock did* so will be a slow build with sights set on 2022-2023 onwards rather than rushing to play passing football now.

*Neither do I think it's necessary. Warnock got us playing as a team, brought in leaders to get us through tough times and got fans on side. These are foundations to work from.
    I think there are positive signs so far to say that point i), ii) and v) are in the process of being met just about as well as they could have been this season. We don't know what his thoughts are for transfer market - small budget at Ipswich lead to less attractive football and our budget is likely to shrink going forward while we're losing some of the flair brought by Wilson and Ojo especially - or longer term plan but presume that conversation has been had behind the scenes.

I do still think 10 games is too early to assess and decision on whether to extend could have been made in the international window with 14 games, including against some of the best in the division, to judge. I think that was the natural break to have this discussion because, as good as it has been, we're still unlikely to go up this year and as soon as relegation was batted away what happens going forward was always going to be more important than what has happened so far. Feeling more positive than negative though.

Club read the CCMB Celtic exclusive!!!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Club read the CCMB Celtic exclusive!!!
    I bet we just nicked in there in time . Celtic will be gutted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I bet we just nicked in there in time . Celtic will be gutted.
    McCarthy was way outside the front runners for the Celtic job, according to all the betting sites.
    As for the contract, I think it might have come a little bit early, but you can't argue with the fact that he's turned the side around, and seems to have instilled a whole new momentum into the club. So good luck Mick - it's 1000 league games for him this Friday, so let's do it in style.