+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mick signs new 2 year deal.

Re: McCarthy signs new deal

It would be stupid to criticise this decision when we're talking about someone whose side have taken twenty four points out of a possible thirty - that's one hundred points plus a season stuff and, certainly in our last two home games, we've played some entertaining stuff. It'll be very interesting to see what sort of players he'll look to bring in this summer if we're still in the same division, will the pragmatist go with more of the same or will he look to gradually change things a bit?

Re: Mick signs new 2 year deal.

Seems the right decision so the Club can actually plan for next season, either in the Championship or possibly but unlikely the PL.
    Let's hope after one defeat no one calls for his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandstand Boy View Post
    He could have been snapped up by someone else by then
    Let's be honest we have done as much for his career as he has done for us. He was on the scrap heap, I doubt he would have got a championship job after his failed Cyprus job. By the over reaction on here at his appointment (not by me I may add) I would say his stock was very low.

He has done very well and it's not to suggest he doesn't deserve a new contract but personally felt we needed a new direction and a review at the end of the season would have been fine with me.
    If he felt he wanted to go elsewhere at that point then so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Let's be honest we have done as much for his career as he has done for us. He was on the scrap heap, I doubt he would have got a championship job after his failed Cyprus job. By the over reaction on here at his appointment (not by me I may add) I would say his stock was very low.

He has done very well and it's not to suggest he doesn't deserve a new contract but personally felt we needed a new direction and a review at the end of the season would have been fine with me.
    If he felt he wanted to go elsewhere at that point then so be it.
    A sensible post at last .

We need to find an ethos , we need to be playing a style of football.

Something sustainable , something that can be transferred up the leagues as well as down .

this seems rather Similar to a recent appointment at old Trafford...

ole gets the job until the end of the season. then wins a bunch of games and they feel they have to give him the job even though many fans probably wanted someone else more progressive.

yes We've improved under McCarthy, and fine on this great run, but we were never as bad as it seemed under Harris, our underlying stats were always good so we were due a good run. now we have been over performing xG since McCarthy took over - so there will probably be a slump at some point.

he's done well enough to deserve a go though.
    my only concern is much of the improvement seems to be "man management" which isn't something that is sustainable, who he brings in and how he develops our style are in answered questions, which will ultimately decide whether this is a good appointment or not, but we will have to wait and see

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

ole gets the job until the end of the season. then wins a bunch of games and they feel they have to give him the job even though many fans probably wanted someone else more progressive.

yes We've improved under McCarthy, and fine on this great run, but we were never as bad as it seemed under Harris, our underlying stats were always good so we were due a good run. now we have been over performing xG since McCarthy took over - so there will probably be a slump at some point.

my only concern is much of the improvement seems to be "man management" which isn't something that is sustainable, who he brings in and how he develops our style are in answered questions, which will ultimately decide whether this is a good appointment or not, but we will have to wait and see
    I think it is a bit simplistic to say it is just man management. He's changed the system, we've got our best players in their best positions and is getting a tune out of them. I think 4 or 5 of them are playing better than ever before and although Moore helps, he's getting more and more out of him too.

yes We've improved under McCarthy, and fine on this great run, but we were never as bad as it seemed under Harris, our underlying

stats were always good so we were due a good run. now we have been over performing xG since McCarthy took over - so there will probably be a slump at some point.

What the f*** is all this malarkey about xG and all these other stats, they don't mean a friggin' thing if your winning games, possession stats etc count for nothing if you're winning. And for not being so bad under Harris the team were shocking. They are playing better football now than for the past good number of years.

Why the rush? I thought we were going to review it at the end of the season! No way was he going to get the Celtic job! I would have given him a 1 Year rolling contract, Neil Harris got us to the playoffs last season but we had to pay him off as we did Warnock,Trollope etc We must have wasted millions on paid up contracts to Managers and players! There are plenty of Managers out there desperate for work but most only last 1-2 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    What the f*** is all this malarkey about xG and all these other stats, they don't mean a friggin' thing if your winning games, possession stats etc count for nothing if you're winning. And for not being so bad under Harris the team were shocking. They are playing better football now than for the past good number of years.
    we were good when we were on a winning streak under Harris and we were awful when we were on a losing streak ,- same goes for McCarthy, just we haven't had a bad patch yet. we will at some point.

I don’t begrudge him the opportunity he could not have done better.

It’s a kiss of death though, loss at Huddersfield coming up.

We're going to stuff them 3 0

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Why the rush? I thought we were going to review it at the end of the season! No way was he going to get the Celtic job! I would have given him a 1 Year rolling contract, Neil Harris got us to the playoffs last season but we had to pay him off as we did Warnock,Trollope etc We must have wasted millions on paid up contracts to Managers and players! There are plenty of Managers out there desperate for work but most only last 1-2 years?
    Liverpool could be looking soon.

we were good when we were on a winning streak under Harris and we were awful when we were on a losing streak ,- same goes for McCarthy, just we haven't had a bad patch yet. we will at some point.
    Be honest we were dreadful under Harris even when we were on that winning run.
    There was no game plan it was if he just said here's the team for today good luck lads.

I am not in the least surprised at this news.
    In fact none of us should be as it was pretty obvious what was going to happen should Mick keep us up the way VT has run the club the last few years.

Yes it may be a little bit early and I'm sure we'll have a dodgy patch but hopefully it won't be a Liverpool-type one ()
    As has been said, he can start to take more interest in strengthening the team and building for the future rather than thinking short term.

I hear some aren't convinced by him citing we haven't had a bad run yet or we haven't played anyone good, or the manager bounce will soon wear off.
    Sime of this may well come to pass but he has exceeded my expectations in that he has changed our style for the better, he has got the players to believe in themselves and the team with some excellent results and increased their value.
    Oh and has committed to bringing through some youngsters.

By the way, nobody knows how much his contract is worth, I doubt it's an astronomical amount, but why should we fans be that bothered anyway, it's not our money!

Congratulations on securing your new contracts Mick and TC, keep up the good work

Well at least there’ll be compensation due if another club comes in for him.

xG isn't as blunt as possession. It's a helpful stat. The companies that come up with this stuff work with elite sports teams around the world.

Although it's undeniable that if you take away the science and treat it as an art, the football we are seeing now is far better than anything we've had since promotion. And for the first time in a long time we are routinely winning games in manner where the result seems a foregone conclusion rather than a nice surprise.

With you all the way on this one Cleve. As you said, we're winning games and playing better football, something we would not have done under Harris if he'd stayed here another 10 years. He had basically lost the team and lost the plot.

I don't think anyone would be questioning Mick's contract extension if he was a younger, more fashionable manager. They would be clamouring for him to sign on the dotted line in case he was head-hunted by a bigger club.

I’ve nothing against MM, but this is a panic move by the club because of the Celtic story in the media.

Personally, I’d have rather the club took their time and re-assessed the situation at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird23 View Post
    I’ve nothing against MM, but this is a panic move by the club because of the Celtic story in the media.

Personally, I’d have rather the club took their time and re-assessed the situation at the end of the season.
    The vast majority of managers are given the job without a trial period whatsoever and, in this case, after ten games an employer will have gleaned a great deal about a manager, his methods, his practical rather than theoretical ways of doing things and his man management skills. Comparing that scenario with just interviewing someone and carrying out background checks it's a lot to go on and perhaps has more gravitas than your assertion that it is a panic move based on a particular post being vacant elsewhere. And even if that were true it would be understandable if an effort has been made to secure a successful temporary encumbent who wasn't contracted to us for more than a couple of months more and who may very well be courted by other clubs in the meantime. I can't see the problem with that and it would be a far less satisfactory situation if we lost him in the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird23 View Post

How are you so sure that was the reason?

I have no issues with this move.

Of course I would prefer someone who can evolve the playing style more quickly, coordinate and harmonise the playing styles across the different age groups, improve our transfer policy and all the while maintain results... However, that is a long term project and frankly even our most talented players are not used to playing a more possession based form of football. So my 'wishes' are pretty unrealistic at the moment.

I thought that as a short term appointment MM and TC wouldn't be particularly bothered about the U18s and U23s and would be 'warnockish' in their approach.

As one poster said MM wasn't particularly coming off the back of a great appointment and his start at city is better than any start he's ever had as a manager, let alone his recent past.

My expectation was he would keep us up without addressing the other areas of the club I mentioned.

I was wrong. The football has improved (given the limitations of the - we are more exciting to watch, can score, concede far fewer goals and the players look like they are enjoying themselves. He's also been far more involved in the U18s and U23s and much more willing than I anticipated to bring on youth players.

I think we will have a game or two where we will get found out but overall the club are right to give him a longer term deal.

Reason I hope we've discussed transfer strategy/longer term plan going forward is that MM appears to be a pragmatic manager who builds strategy on players available.

At end of this year we lose Wilson, Ojo, Hoilett and Williams. We also enter contract year of Murphy.

Murphy has played well under MM (he's on his way to making himself attractive in transfer market) which may have increased wage demands despite him being, presumably based on when he was signed, one of our more expensive players. Do you offer him a new deal? Pros: how well he's played in 5 of the 10 games, cons: he's not put in a run of form before MM and has only been on pitch at most for 76 mins under MM.

Are we a less attractive and dangerous side going forward if Ojo, Wilson and Murphy are replaced by Bacuna, Harris and Whyte? What players does MM want to supplement these?

What do you do about Flint (32 by start of next season), Ralls (28 in October), Smithies (31 by start of next season), Morrison (31 next January) and Pack (30 by start of next season) also? This group of players were signed/extended after promotion with contracts ending in summer of 2022 so are likely to be on more costly contracts than others in the squad, but they are all leaders who done well in this latest run. We're looking for a greater balance between youth and experience in squad, while also cutting costs, so how many of these do you extend?

Will be very interesting to see summer's transfer activity.

As I said on the other thread, Dalman spoke on radio this am and said MM had interest/offers from other clubs. That is why City moved now.

[QUOTE=AfricanBluebird;5173761]I have no issues with this move.

Of course I would prefer someone who can evolve the playing style more quickly, coordinate and harmonise the playing styles across the different age groups, improve our transfer policy and all the while maintain results... However, that is a long term project and frankly even our most talented players are not used to playing a more possession based form of football. So my 'wishes' are pretty unrealistic at the moment.

I thought that as a short term appointment MM and TC wouldn't be particularly bothered about the U18s and U23s and would be 'warnockish' in their approach.

As one poster said MM wasn't particularly coming off the back of a great appointment and his start at city is better than any start he's ever had as a manager, let alone his recent past.

My thoughts exactly .

I would love to see the club revolutionised , in fact the club must revolutionise to climb to the summit of modern football .

The problem with a huge change is it could bring a lack of results, simply because the type of players we have now might not be capable of playing a different style of football . I do accept I may be doing them a disservice ..

I expected great things when Trollope took over , I was genuinely excited that we were going to play some decent football .
    Unfortunately for whatever reason it didn't materialise and we have been watching snow ball ever since his departure , spattered with a bit of Lee Tomlin .

Perhaps MM has a plan to bring us up to speed with our football.
    One thing I will applaud him for is bringing some youth through .

He wouldn't have been my choice even after our great run. I hope he proves me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    As I said on the other thread, Dalman spoke on radio this am and said MM had interest/offers from other clubs. That is why City moved now.
    I dont know whos more gullible. You or Dalman.