+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mick signs new 2 year deal.

Mick signs new 2 year deal.

Terry too.

Re: Mick signs new 2 year deal.

I would have been pissed off about this when he started but I the way he's started to bring youth through, is good enough for me.

Happy to hold my hands up and say his football isn't as bad as I assumed it to be

Re: McCarthy signs new deal

Hhmmm would have liked us to wait until the end of the season and then reviewed.

Source?

Great news

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Hhmmm would have liked us to wait until the end of the season and then reviewed.
    He could have been snapped up by someone else by then

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Can't argue with that, fully deserved

I think the timing is right on this one.
    Now he can start planning for next season and will know what he wants as soon as the transfer window opens.
    One of his first signings will be Ojo i reckon

Fully deserved

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    I think the timing is right on this one.
    Now he can start planning for next season and will know what he wants as soon as the transfer window opens.
    One of his first signings will be Ojo i reckon
    Squad needs a refresh ,Ojo well worth signing ,like the lads movement and application.

Feck it, I'm going with this one because it has the link and more people have commented so far. Apologies to Zowhore and hopefully they can be merged because I thought WJ99mobile had a good point.

My thought when he first signed on with us were as follows:

I want the manager who can successfully deliver on the aims to i) improve playing style, ii) bring through youth, iii) improve in transfer market, iv) establish longer term vision and v) keep us competitive with longer term plan of promotion that sticks.

If Mick McCarthy has the plan to meet those aims then I'm happy to give him a chance.

I don't think we have the resources to rip apart everything Warnock did* so will be a slow build with sights set on 2022-2023 onwards rather than rushing to play passing football now.

*Neither do I think it's necessary. Warnock got us playing as a team, brought in leaders to get us through tough times and got fans on side. These are foundations to work from.
    I think there are positive signs so far to say that point i), ii) and v) are in the process of being met just about as well as they could have been this season. We don't know what his thoughts are for transfer market - small budget at Ipswich lead to less attractive football and our budget is likely to shrink going forward while we're losing some of the flair brought by Wilson and Ojo especially - or longer term plan but presume that conversation has been had behind the scenes.

I do still think 10 games is too early to assess and decision on whether to extend could have been made in the international window with 14 games, including against some of the best in the division, to judge. I think that was the natural break to have this discussion because, as good as it has been, we're still unlikely to go up this year and as soon as relegation was batted away what happens going forward was always going to be more important than what has happened so far. Feeling more positive than negative though.

Club read the CCMB Celtic exclusive!!!

There will be no money unless, god forbid, we are promoted. We will be relying totally on VT if we are still, as I expect, in the Championship.
    Players like Ojo and Wilson will be first out the door and we will be relying on Academy players.
    I am sure MM understands that and he is the best man to do that job, being well used to it at Ipswich.

that'll be the end of the winning run then

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    that'll be the end of the winning run then

very happy, Regardless of results I actually really like Mick's style of football, none of this boring tippy tappy stuff, when we have played well we have been direct, fast with high intensity and exceptional work rate.

People will rightly ask if this is too early, but the fact of the matter is we do not have the luxury to wait. His impact has not been unnoticed and clubs will certainly have been sniffing around.

Really pleasing news. Let's get behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandstand Boy View Post
    He could have been snapped up by someone else by then

Excellent news. Fully deserved and the club have acted decisively which allows time for MM and TC to really think about their recruitment for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Club read the CCMB Celtic exclusive!!!
    I bet we just nicked in there in time . Celtic will be gutted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I bet we just nicked in there in time . Celtic will be gutted.
    McCarthy was way outside the front runners for the Celtic job, according to all the betting sites.
    As for the contract, I think it might have come a little bit early, but you can't argue with the fact that he's turned the side around, and seems to have instilled a whole new momentum into the club. So good luck Mick - it's 1000 league games for him this Friday, so let's do it in style.

Fully deserved.

Not unhappy with this - but please don't go to shit now Mick you've got the job - although that's more of a lazy footballer trait

Mick's happy about it, the fans are happy about it and presumably the players are too so a good decision by the club to extend his and TC's contract.

A few weeks ago I said I couldn't see the point of the club making a hasty decision regarding his future but now seems as good a time as any and as other posters have said, it will give him the opportunity to plan for next season