+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mccarthys contract extension- could be a mistake

Mccarthys contract extension- could be a mistake

Whilst you have to applaud the way Harris ‘s under achievers have been turned round by the new manager, it seems to me that Messrs Dalman and Tan have got a bit excited by offering McCarthy an extension. So far, he’s managed to have got his team playing some decent football in a championship whose standard has been the worst for a few years. The bottom line is, he hasn’t achieved anything or won anything, and right now everyone knows this current batch of players could easily go back to the form that was diabolical under the previous manager.The next couple of months will be interesting, but personally I don’t think they’ll be playing football in the “Promised Land” next season. I may well be proved wrong, but I don’t think so.

Re: Mccarthys contract extension- could be a mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    Whilst you have to applaud the way Harris ‘s under achievers have been turned round by the new manager, it seems to me that Messrs Dalman and Tan have got a bit excited by offering McCarthy an extension. So far, he’s managed to have got his team playing some decent football in a championship whose standard has been the worst for a few years. The bottom line is, he hasn’t achieved anything or won anything, and right now everyone knows this current batch of players could easily go back to the form that was diabolical under the previous manager.The next couple of months will be interesting, but personally I don’t think they’ll be playing football in the “Promised Land” next season. I may well be proved wrong, but I don’t think so.
    he appears to be our best option , with a proven track record , at the moment

I think giving him a couple of years to see what we can do , after turning round our season is fair enough

The bottom line is, he hasn’t achieved anything or won anything, and right now everyone knows this current batch of players could easily go back to the form that was diabolical under the previous manager.The next couple of months will be interesting, but personally I don’t think they’ll be playing football in the “Promised Land” next season. I may well be proved wrong, but I don’t think so.
    everyone knows this current batch of players could easily go back to the form that was diabolical under the previous manager????

What a load of old tosh! These are a bunch of very decent players at Championship standards. The reason we were so diabolical was down to one man, and one man alone, Harris! And please don't give me that bollux of "Oh, but he took us to the play-offs". He didn't!! If anyone did, Tomlin did! We got to the play-offs despite Harris. We will not go back to the diabolical form at all shown under "Mr, I ain't got a feckin' clue Harris", Mick is too experienced a manger to let that happen. Yes, we might lose a few games on the bounce, but he'll take us up there, or thereabouts (i.e. the top 6 of the Championship) over the next couple of seasons

Most people’s expectations are not that we will be playing in the Prem next year.

MM remit was to stop us getting relegated, which was a serious threat when he came in.

Success at Cardiff for MM would be maintaining a competitive team in the championship, with the aim of a top 6 finish each season of his tenure.

Survival this season was the objective, he has more than achieved that, hence the contract extension.

A top 6 finish next season without promotion would still be seen as a good season imo.

And his final contracted season we would also be looking at a top 6 finish and hoping maybe that one came with a promotion if not the first.

The idea that they got excited that he might take us up this year and so offered him a contract.. I don’t buy. they offered him a contract because he turned around and stabilised a club in free fall.

Not getting promoted this season does not mean it was a mistake giving him an extension if that is what you are suggesting

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    everyone knows this current batch of players could easily go back to the form that was diabolical under the previous manager????

What a load of old tosh! These are a bunch of very decent players at Championship standards. The reason we were so diabolical was down to one man, and one man alone, Harris! And please don't give me that bollux of "Oh, but he took us to the play-offs". He didn't!! If anyone did, Tomlin did! We got to the play-offs despite Harris. We will not go back to the diabolical form at all shown under "Mr, I ain't got a feckin' clue Harris", Mick is too experienced a manger to let that happen. Yes, we might lose a few games on the bounce, but he'll take us up there, or thereabouts (i.e. the top 6 of the Championship) over the next couple of seasons
    Exactly 👍

100% correct, the board would have been questioned had they not offered MM this contract based on his results after 10 games.
    Harris will get another job, just not at this level

I think we all know that nothing is guaranteed in football and that very few have the recipe for consistent success.

The biggest compliment to McCarthy is that he has got individual players playing better. Yes somebody else may have been able to do that but HARRIS didn’t and other might not.

There are a number of players out of contract this season, some of whom we might want to stay. Arguably there is now more chance of that happening.

The under 23’s are being given recognition and if they are good enough they should be given a chance. I think we all want that. Warnock and HARRIS didn’t.

McCarthy may not have been my choice but he is now and besides I don’t know who would choose.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    The idea that they got excited that he might take us up this year and so offered him a contract.. I don’t buy. they offered him a contract because he turned around and stabilised a club in free fall.
    True. It’s also quite possible that they didn’t have a plan and seeing as this has worked brilliantly - so far - it seemed like the sensible choice.
    There’s also the added benefit that if another club comes in for him, then compensation will be due.
    I’ll admit that I’m yet to be convinced. Let’s see how the season unfolds.

If we don’t tie down Mick then the other managers we would be considering are hardly inspiring. We were linked with Pearson and Cook when Harris left but they have only ended up at Bristol and Ipswich, both of which will probably finish below us this season and the next too.

We have appointed a manager that fits our level as a club, there’s no point speculating about the likes of Eddie Howe as that’s unrealistic.

Mick has international experience and has been promoted from this division. He has also made watching Cardiff City something to look forward to each week. He deserves his chance, and will hopefully get the backing from the owner and the fans alike.

Dalman apparently said on radio this am that MM was offered the contract now as he had offers from other clubs.

The OP obviously hasn't considered the impact on the club the manager just leaving to go to a job with a longer contract.The club knew,act now or have it taken out of your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Dalman apparently said on radio this am that MM was offered the contract now as he had offers from other clubs.
    If that’s true, then the decision was made under duress - the club was probably strong armed into offering him this deal in order to keep him, which is not exactly in line with having a plan.

Personally I'd have waited until the summer and reviewed. If MM left for somewhere else then so be it.

It is what it is, if MM can continue to get us improving then great, he seems likeable and the turn around has been brilliant. He gets my support, I just hope the club haven't rushed it and missed an opportunity to go in a different direction again.

International

If he brings through some of the better prospects from the U23s and youth teams I think he will have been worth the risk.
    He is the first to try to do it for many a year. Good luck to him.

The only thing I think is why change it if it’s working ok.....we could easily have waited a few games until we know what’s what. I reckon he does deserve a contract but you just know, now he’s got it, we will somehow also get our first league defeat tonight....like some sort of curse.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    If that’s true, then the decision was made under duress - the club was probably strong armed into offering him this deal in order to keep him, which is not exactly in line with having a plan.
    A plan.....

I think nabbing a wanted man is quite a good idea considering the run we are on.

Dalman didn't say that at all. He said that they had a ‘polite enquiry’ from another club (not Celtic) about MM’s position but that they turned it down straight away and said that he would be staying with us longer term. He also said that they were always going to offer him a longer deal and just brought it forward to give certainty going into the summer with regards to our players futures and player recruitment from other clubs. Totally different to the situation you implied.

I'm guessing MM would be an attractive appointment as it currently stands , so no it not a mistake , if we lost him now his would that effect your our current progresss and success , are there better options out there , yes, but not at his price and experience.

I don't think we will go up this year however I'd be very interested in Micks transfer decisions in the close season and can only feel that next year we would be a better and seriously good unit if we build on what we have now under Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I'm guessing MM would be an attractive appointment as it currently stands , so no it not a mistake , if we lost him now his would that effect your our current progresss and success , are there better options out there , yes, but not at his price and experience.

I don't think we will go up this year however I'd be very interested in Micks transfer decisions in the close season and can only feel that next year we would be a better and seriously good unit if we build on what we have now under Mick.
    Totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Dalman didn't say that at all. He said that they had a ‘polite enquiry’ from another club (not Celtic) about MM’s position but that they turned it down straight away and said that he would be staying with us longer term. He also said that they were always going to offer him a longer deal and just brought it forward to give certainty going into the summer with regards to our players futures and player recruitment from other clubs. Totally different to the situation you implied.
    Makes sense and the right move in my opinion

Mick told Dalman that Real Madrid and Barcelona were fighting over him, so we had to act quickly

what's the alternative? the usual list is normally nothing special and most of you don't want any of them .

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    what's the alternative? the usual list is normally nothing special and most of you don't want any of them .
    Absolutely right

Chances are he won't be classed as a success but that's because odds are against him.
    It's easy target to suggest he won't succeed because most managers don't.
    Mick certainly deserves the job, what he has done has been phenomenal and I think we will fall short of play offs but only because this form can't go on forever.

I look at the championship now and the standard doesn't seem particularly great, the fact we are now in contention after being awful for over half a season proves that. I don't think any of these teams and the ones who went up few years before are anywhere near us fulham and wolves when we all got promoted.