+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mccarthys contract extension- could be a mistake

Re: Mccarthys contract extension- could be a mistake

"I said in last summer's transfer window this team is good enough to be in the top six by January, and it's good to be able to see that the quality of the team is beginning to show what they can do."...

"Just looking at how the team has been since he came, in we were always going to do that (offer a new contract)....

"I still think we can make the top six but I don't think it's as easy as it should have been,....

"This league need experienced managers and one thing Mick has is experience...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56291119
    - MM has done well but I do hope that we haven't signed him because it saves Dalman an embarrassing quote.

- The new contract shouldn't be on basis of what MM has done so far with likes of Wilson, Ojo but on the basis of what he plans on doing next year when most high profile players leave and most of Warnock's singings enter final year of contract. Who does he plan on resigning? What style of play when most skillful players leave?

- (the traditional embarrassing quote)

- Barnsley don't have an experienced manager, at least not in UK football, but he has done better but he arguably done more over past 10 games than MM has due to beating Brentford and scaring Chelsea.

"Barnsley isn't a sudden case of a manager making a huge difference, it is a project that goes back to the 2017/18 takeover where they committed to a style and have recruited coaches and managers to fit. Available to all clubs with a long term view." - https://twitter.com/SBunching/status...32273762951169
    MM has stood up well to every test so far but future plans, and execution of this, matter more than what he's been doing so far.

In terms of future plans, it looks like Glatzel will be gone in the summer, since McMick doesn’t like him at all.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    If that’s true, then the decision was made under duress - the club was probably strong armed into offering him this deal in order to keep him, which is not exactly in line with having a plan.
    Strong armed? By who? The club reacted to the situation and made a decision. It happens. You can't just make up your own rules. MM's own work at Cardiff City has increased his value and his bargaining position. He's not my first choice, but I've been impressed by what he's done so far. He seems open-minded to using younger players and to playing a bit of football if/when we can. As long as he doesn't waste a bunch of money on old, limited players who can "do a job" (as in, can only do one thing somewhat effectively) then I suppose I'm OK with a 2-year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Strong armed? By who? The club reacted to the situation and made a decision. It happens. You can't just make up your own rules. MM's own work at Cardiff City has increased his value and his bargaining position. He's not my first choice, but I've been impressed by what he's done so far. He seems open-minded to using younger players and to playing a bit of football if/when we can. As long as he doesn't waste a bunch of money on old, limited players who can "do a job" (as in, can only do one thing somewhat effectively) then I suppose I'm OK with a 2-year deal.
    By strong-armed, I meant that their hand was forced early due to alleged external pressures, rather than them making their own decision.

It seems that they are now saying that they were always going to have him longer term, which makes me wonder what on earth they are up to, since the initial deal was quoted as being with a view to a review at the end of the season.

I’m in the “not convinced” camp and I can’t see him being here in 2 years. Let’s see how this goes.

True. It’s also quite possible that they didn’t have a plan and seeing as this has worked brilliantly - so far - it seemed like the sensible choice.
    There’s also the added benefit that if another club comes in for him, then compensation will be due.
    I’ll admit that I’m yet to be convinced. Let’s see how the season unfolds.
    Another club coming in for McCarthy? Don't hold your breath.

MM has got the best out of this squad and steered City away from free falling into league 1 into 7th place. In some ways that's the easy bit. Where do you go from here ? As I've posted elsewhere I reckon it's easier to develop the Huddersfield squad into a top 6 than it is City's 7th place squad. We're a machine, and it needs dismantling before rebuilding can begin..

If we could have the Huddersfield midfielder from last night in our team, we'd be different side. All we need is a couple of creative midfielders. We are ok for goalkeepers, full backs centre backs, wingers, a striker, and holding midfielders. Unfortunately we'll be more likely to lose players in the summer rather than improve the team. Hopefully not though.

Don’t we need a (ball playing) centre back, seeing as we’re now using a back 3?

Don’t we need a (ball playing) centre back, seeing as we’re now using a back 3?
    I agree and someone who can use the ball in front of them, that would make a such difference.