+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sky and womens football

Sky and womens football

Why oh why can't they have their own channel.
    Pretending fans are interested even remotely in the women's game is ridiculous.

Re: Sky and womens football

Yeah, only a choice of 465 channels to watch now!

I take it you won't be tuning in then?

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    I am interested remotely in the women's game - if that's OK with you.

I have watched a few international games on TV (never live) and always watch the highlights of Cardiff City Women's games.

That is probably the definition of 'remote interest'!

Would you be interested Nick if they swapped shirts at the end of each game?

"Why isn't everything tailored exactly to how I, AlwaysAway2 want it to be"

I was taught as a child that the world doesn't revolve around me, I now passeth that lesson on to you

Sexist pig alert.

Blimey you liberated lot are odd.
    I'm surprised you feel the women need their own league.
    This woke nonsense is a joke.

Blimey you liberated lot are odd.
    I'm surprised you feel the women need their own league.
    This woke nonsense is a joke.

I doubt many women are interested either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    In you?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    I have yet to meet any woman or girl that is interested.

That’s because you don’t know any.

I try to avoid gravitating to the extreme ends of arguments on here and I do my best to consider the middle ground and avoid polarisation. However, the BBC Football results webpage tonight lists the results of the Women's Champions League games before the Championship* results and I think that is pushing it a bit....

*I believe that the Championship is the fifth best supported league in Europe regarding attendance figures.

When it clicks women’s football will be very big but I feel we’re a few decades from that

The interesting thing about women's football is that it can be quite good at the highest level, say the Women's World Cup. Anything below that is watchable only if I have a daughter playing or if I'm trying to be nice. Same with women's basketball. Volleyball, now that's watchable. Very athletic. (I'm talking about court volleyball, not sand volleyball, you bad boys).

What I never understand is why men start negative threads about women’s football on places like this - why not just ignore it if you don’t like it?

Judging by what TBG says, my opinion is similar to his - like him, I don’t get how the BBC rates the top league in the women’s game above any division in the Football League and a visit to the Guardian’s football page often has a woman’s match as its main game, I don’t get that.

I went along to the women’s Champions League Final when it was held in Cardiff a few years ago and left after ninety minutes, not because women’s football is crap, but because it was a crap game which was never going to produce a goal between two teams I had no affiliation for. On the other hand, there’s been the occasional match I’ve watched right through on the telly because it was a good game - football’s football, you get dreadful games and great games no matter who’s playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    What I never understand is why men start negative threads about women’s football on places like this - why not just ignore it if you don’t like it?

Judging by what TBG says, my opinion is similar to his - like him, I don’t get how the BBC rates the top league in the women’s game above any division in the Football League and a visit to the Guardian’s football page often has a woman’s match as its main game, I don’t get that.

I went along to the women’s Champions League Final when it was held in Cardiff a few years ago and left after ninety minutes, not because women’s football is crap, but because it was a crap game which was never going to produce a goal between two teams I had no affiliation for. On the other hand, there’s been the occasional match I’ve watched right through on the telly because it was a good game - football’s football, you get dreadful games and great games no matter who’s playing it.
    I was at that champions league game. Right next to the PSG fans, hell of a racket from them! The thing is with womens football is that it needs promoting, if that's manufactured or put in a position that is false, based on popularity and interest, then so be it in my opinion, it isn't going to impact on the mens game.

The other thing that strikes me as odd is that plenty of people on here (certainly not you) portray it as a them vs us scenario, even when they're being positive about the Womens game, it shouldn't be that way, it's still football, just a different level. We've all had mothers, daughters, wives, aunties, nieces, female friends etc, an intrinsic part of our lives, yet it seems that plenty of blokes just don't want to be positive about something that they have a direct affiliation towards. I have a daughter that likes football, she watches some games with me and oddly enough likes Aston Villa (after City) i'm thrilled that she has easy, mainstream access to the womens game as it's in my interests for her to be able to enjoy the sport as much as i do, something that hasn't been encouraged in society.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I am interested remotely in the women's game - if that's OK with you.

I have watched a few international games on TV (never live) and always watch the highlights of Cardiff City Women's games.

That is probably the definition of 'remote interest'!
    I have a remote interest in women’s football. Some of it is ok to watch while most of it resembles a local Sunday morning league.
    I think what irritates me is the continual add of women on TV football panels and they talk as though they have a thorough understanding of what it’s like in the premier league. Particularly when the moderator will say something like “what is going through their minds now and how will they change in the second half, after all you have been in this position”.
    So playing poor standard football in front of 1000 fans gives you the same experience ?
    I see the TV channels are also bringing more women onto rugby panels.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    I have a remote interest in women’s football. Some of it is ok to watch while most of it resembles a local Sunday morning league.
    I think what irritates me is the continual add of women on TV football panels and they talk as though they have a thorough understanding of what it’s like in the premier league. Particularly when the moderator will say something like “what is going through their minds now and how will they change in the second half, after all you have been in this position”.
    So playing poor standard football in front of 1000 fans gives you the same experience ?
    But it has to start somewhere, doesn't it? We give opinions on here about football and are critical of Professional players when most of us can't kick a ball or have never played to a good standard. The women employed to do punditry are playing at their highest level and are implementing the highest standards possible within their game.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    some of the women pundits are more articulate than the male former pros, and some of the male pros have made a media career out of talking complete bollocks, so why not have a female in that role?

Women's football is very popular here and not stigmatized as being second best. It has created a huge interest in football among young girls. Which has no doubt helped the US Women's Team become and remain the best in the world.

Sky are taking the p!ss with their sports coverage. Ive cancelled for the 1st time since ive had Sky TV. They wanted £25 a month they can do one for that. I was paying £15. Any decent boxing PPV. Cricket on Channel 4 and I can watcb City on CCTV.

They can shove it for £25.

whilst I'm unlikely to seek out women's football, I've watched a few games at international level and once you get used to the feel of the game it is just as enjoyable as the men.
    I found I had to adjust my expectations of the tempo and structure of games and once I got my head around what was normal for the women's game and what is exceptional then it's just as enjoyable as a men's game I'm not invested in.

a bit like tennis, if you watch a close game between two top women players, it's just as exciting as a close game between two men. if you're sitting there watching it thinking "these women are barely breaking 100mph with their serves, any top male pros would destroy them' then you would be completely missing the point. same goes for women's football

Do you think only men watch Sky Sports? Do you assume only women watch women's football?