+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: City momentum faltering after they have to rely on Huddersfield penalty miss for a point.

City momentum faltering after they have to rely on Huddersfield penalty miss for a point.

Extended contracts for McCarthy and Connor.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Re: City momentum faltering after they have to rely on Huddersfield penalty miss for a point.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Extended contracts for McCarthy and Connor.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/
    Last night our midfield were just not in the game until pack came on. I was surprised how much MM stuck with a shape that meant his front 3 and wing backs were less effective. As soon as we went to three in the middle, as you say, we looked better.

I’m surprised he doesn’t respond to the game more as he did in the very first game.

Re: City momentum faltering after they have to rely on Huddersfield penalty miss for a point.

What was the new Cardiff city pod cast Bob?

Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    What was the new Cardiff city pod cast Bob?
    https://open.spotify.com/episode/5Cn...urce=copy-link

Also available on apple

We were really poor against Boro and Huddersfield... think we've been found out

Thought that was a good write-up. Not too worried about looking below par against Boro considering how ugly the games between our sides (Warnock v Pulis, Harris v Warnock, MM v Warnock) tend to be and hopefully last night was MM working out he needs a formation option with added man in midfield (Tomlin? Williams?) at times this season.

One thing to keep an eye on is how tough Bournemouth and Reading's fixture lists look after the international window so even though we're likely to be further behind play-offs after this weekend as long as we're there or there about come end of the month we're still in with a chance - I think Barnsley are good for one spot if only one of those falls off. Another thing: we looked flat yesterday after two games in less than a week but Swansea play Bournemouth four days before us so it could be their turn at end of the month.

On a slightly more disappointing note, with Rotherham having yet another game to make up they're more likely to get relegated now than before despite looking good and having excellent commentators. After international window their gaps between game days are: 2 days, 4 days, 2 days, 3 days, 3 days, 2 days, 2 days, 3 days and 6 days. A real pity because Wednesday and Brum deserve to go down before they do based on season so far.

My only positive from the game was at least we never signed Yaya Sanogo

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Ta

Last night our midfield were just not in the game until pack came on. I was surprised how much MM stuck with a shape that meant his front 3 and wing backs were less effective. As soon as we went to three in the middle, as you say, we looked better.

I’m surprised he doesn’t respond to the game more as he did in the very first game.
    Yes, Mick McCarthy's use, or more accurately, non use of substitutes has surprised me given our schedule, but he's got so many things right in the last few weeks, that this may yet turn out to be another case in point.

Regarding our two man central midfield, one thing that is certain is that other sides will have been studying us during our six match winning run and working on ways to nullify us - Middlesbrough and Huddersfield both stifled us to the extent that we only had two goal attempts against the former and, Vaulks' shot apart, never really looked like scoring last night. Perhaps the time is coming when we will need to have Pack or Bacuna, in a deeper role than he's played lately in from the start with last night's starting pair with only one of Murphy, Ojo and Wilson starting? That may look a defensive move, but it doesn't need to if our wing backs are prepared to really push on.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Thought that was a good write-up. Not too worried about looking below par against Boro considering how ugly the games between our sides (Warnock v Pulis, Harris v Warnock, MM v Warnock) tend to be and hopefully last night was MM working out he needs a formation option with added man in midfield (Tomlin? Williams?) at times this season.

One thing to keep an eye on is how tough Bournemouth and Reading's fixture lists look after the international window so even though we're likely to be further behind play-offs after this weekend as long as we're there or there about come end of the month we're still in with a chance - I think Barnsley are good for one spot if only one of those falls off. Another thing: we looked flat yesterday after two games in less than a week but Swansea play Bournemouth four days before us so it could be their turn at end of the month.

On a slightly more disappointing note, with Rotherham having yet another game to make up they're more likely to get relegated now than before despite looking good and having excellent commentators. After international window their gaps between game days are: 2 days, 4 days, 2 days, 3 days, 3 days, 2 days, 2 days, 3 days and 6 days. A real pity because Wednesday and Brum deserve to go down before they do based on season so far.
    Definitely agree with your last paragraph, Rotherham played as well against us as any side has done since Mick McCarthy came in and are far more deserving of staying than either of the other two sides you mention.

Yes, Mick McCarthy's use, or more accurately, non use of substitutes has surprised me given our schedule, but he's got so many things right in the last few weeks, that this may yet turn out to be another case in point.

Regarding our two man central midfield, one thing that is certain is that other sides will have been studying us during our six match winning run and working on ways to nullify us - Middlesbrough and Huddersfield both stifled us to the extent that we only had two goal attempts against the former and, Vaulks' shot apart, never really looked like scoring last night. Perhaps the time is coming when we will need to have Pack or Bacuna, in a deeper role than he's played lately in from the start with last night's starting pair with only one of Murphy, Ojo and Wilson starting? That may look a defensive move, but it doesn't need to if our wing backs are prepared to really push on.
    I think... the lack of control in midfield causes out wingbacks to be more defensive. As soon as Pack came on we started to get balls forward and seem to have a little bit more control. If I remember right Sang got forward at that point too

Vaulks & Ralls are too similar to play as a midfield two, the gaps between the midfield & attack were huge and part of why we were so ineffective. Huddersfield's back 3 with another man deep in front of them limited Kieffer

I think Mick wanted us to play a bit more conservatively so as not to leave the two full backs exposed. Bagan may be considered a great prospect, but he's only made abut 5 or 6 league appearances whilst Sang (who played well) has only played in League 2. Any hope of attacking wing backs ended with Brown on the field as he's clearly a centre back. I'd have sacrificed one of the centre backs for an extra midfielder or stuck Ralls (who was very poor last night) out there and brought on Pack

Ojo doesn't seem cut out for these kinds of cameos, he was completely ineffective when he came on. I'd have liked to see Williams brought as he does bring something different

Mick's refusal to use his bench has been my only real complaint so far, it really is baffling considering the hectic schedule. Huddersfield are a poor side and it was 2 points dropped last night, but in the context of the run we've been on we can't really complain too much.

I think... the lack of control in midfield causes out wingbacks to be more defensive. As soon as Pack came on we started to get balls forward and seem to have a little bit more control. If I remember right Sang got forward at that point too
    Yes, I think you're right about Sang.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Vaulks & Ralls are too similar to play as a midfield two, the gaps between the midfield & attack were huge and part of why we were so ineffective. Huddersfield's back 3 with another man deep in front of them limited Kieffer

I think Mick wanted us to play a bit more conservatively so as not to leave the two full backs exposed. Bagan may be considered a great prospect, but he's only made abut 5 or 6 league appearances whilst Sang (who played well) has only played in League 2. Any hope of attacking wing backs ended with Brown on the field as he's clearly a centre back. I'd have sacrificed one of the centre backs for an extra midfielder or stuck Ralls (who was very poor last night) out there and brought on Pack

Ojo doesn't seem cut out for these kinds of cameos, he was completely ineffective when he came on. I'd have liked to see Williams brought as he does bring something different

Mick's refusal to use his bench has been my only real complaint so far, it really is baffling considering the hectic schedule. Huddersfield are a poor side and it was 2 points dropped last night, but in the context of the run we've been on we can't really complain too much.
    Although he played pretty well against derby, Ojo hasn't been as effective since the injury which kept him out for a short while and I agree about Williams, who, perhaps, may not be the player he was, but is getting little or no chance in the first team.

Ralls played a few games as a left back in our first promotion season and did well, but he's not having his best season and I wonder if he is struggling for full fitness after missing quite a lot of time with injury in the last eighteen months or so, because of that, I would be less inclined to use him in a full back/wing back role.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

Can't really argue with any of that. I agree that Mick decided on a more conservative approach, not wanting to expose the limitations of two inexperienced full backs.

He also knew the players were struggling energy-wise and were unable to replicate their high tempo performance of three days earlier. Nobody should be at all surprised by this, although yes he could have used his bench a bit better.

However, we should not undervalue the importance of picking up an away point in a game that seemed one match too far for some of our players. Let them rest and recuperate and get up for the next game.

Long term I don't really have any concerns in the direction we are heading. The manager has proved he can get us playing and as long as he is able to supplement the team with a few quality additions, I can see the standard of football gradually improving. If this is not the case, then yes fans will have a legitimate reason to question his methods. But on the back of 11 games unbeaten, no way

'udders did "miss" the pelanty, but only because Phillips psyched him out.
    If you look at it closely, Phillips stood slightly to his left, inviting the strike to the right - but also his stance showed the pen-taker that he was ready to dive to the right.
    Pelanty taker had to put his strike out of Phillips' reach, but over-compensated.

I'd put that down to a save by Phillips.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Can't really argue with any of that. I agree that Mick decided on a more conservative approach, not wanting to expose the limitations of two inexperienced full backs.

He also knew the players were struggling energy-wise and were unable to replicate their high tempo performance of three days earlier. Nobody should be at all surprised by this, although yes he could have used his bench a bit better.

However, we should not undervalue the importance of picking up an away point in a game that seemed one match too far for some of our players. Let them rest and recuperate and get up for the next game.

Long term I don't really have any concerns in the direction we are heading. The manager has proved he can get us playing and as long as he is able to supplement the team with a few quality additions, I can see the standard of football gradually improving. If this is not the case, then yes fans will have a legitimate reason to question his methods. But on the back of 11 games unbeaten, no way

Unless forced by injuries, Ralls should never be in the starting 11

I was really surprised Bacuna didn’t start last night or come on, he had an excellent game against Derby, must have been full of confidence after his 2 goals and was less in need of a rest than some of the others having been in and out of the side recently

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    I was really surprised Bacuna didn’t start last night or come on, he had an excellent game against Derby, must have been full of confidence after his 2 goals and was less in need of a rest than some of the others having been in and out of the side recently
    I wasn’t too surprised that Bacuna didn’t start last night, but I was definitely shocked not to see him come on.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    'udders did "miss" the pelanty, but only because Phillips psyched him out.
    If you look at it closely, Phillips stood slightly to his left, inviting the strike to the right - but also his stance showed the pen-taker that he was ready to dive to the right.
    Pelanty taker had to put his strike out of Phillips' reach, but over-compensated.

I'd put that down to a save by Phillips.

If you look more closely, Phillips is also doing "Saturday Night Disco pointing with his hands/fingers", bet some clever f ucker on her could put it to music.

A further game postponed for Rotherham which means they have to find time for two more games as well as the schedule described here. They're not due to play now until the 16th of March and they're running out of time to fit in all their games.

A further game postponed for Rotherham which means they have to find time for two more games as well as the schedule described here. They're not due to play now until the 16th of March and they're running out of time to fit in all their games.
    "There's potential to play in the international break. The Millers won't have any call-ups, but I can't see Coventry agreeing to play if Leo Östigard gets a call-up for Norway."

https://twitter.com/mikemccarthy/sta...08672249057280 (BBC Radio Sheffield journalist)