+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Warboys match - Cardiff 4 Carlisle 0.

The Warboys match - Cardiff 4 Carlisle 0.

With Wednesday's fiftieth anniversary of the Real Madrid win almost upon us, it is also half a century to the day since another memorable game from the 70/71 season - here's the chapter on our big win over Carlisle United on 6 March 1971 from my book Real Madrid and all that;-

Early March 1971.
    Warboys stuns Carlisle and wins himself a fiver!

It would appear Jimmy Scoular saw how his team had performed after the introduction of Bobby Woodruff for Brian Clark as an improvement on what had gone before at Hull, because the team that had finished the previous weekend became the one which started seven days later in front of a crowd of 22,731 at Ninian Park for the visit of an in form Carlisle United team.

The Cumbrians were definite contenders for a top two finish and all of the indications were that it would be a tight affair with little between two sides perhaps more interested in not losing than risking no points as they chased two.
    In some ways, that’s how it was for long stretches of the game, but the fact of the matter was that this only occurred after a truly sensational opening ten minutes in which one man had effectively ended the match as any sort of contest!

Alan Warboys took to the pitch still looking like he had just come from an accident and emergency ward – his left leg was still as heavily strapped as it had been when he scored the equaliser at Hull and his right wrist was still bandaged as it had been after a home defender had stood on it seven days earlier.

However, it made no difference to the striker as he took what Clive Phillips in the Western Mail timed as seven minutes and fourteen seconds to score one of Cardiff City’s more memorable hat tricks.

The routing of Carlisle began in the third minute when Warboys met an Ian Gibson free kick with his head. Warboys’ initial scoring attempt was foiled as it was blocked by a defender, but the ball went straight back to the striker who despatched it into the net with his trusty left foot.

There had been barely five minutes played when the man who was unable to stop scoring found Nigel Rees on the half way line, the teenage winger then made ground down the left before crossing to Gibson, who was able to find Warboys and, once again, his left foot did the rest, this time from a bit further out.

The third soon arrived when Peter King spotted Woodruff’s perceptive run and found him with a long diagonal pass. The ball was then transferred quickly to Rees who crossed to the far post where Warboys was in just enough room to be able to score easily – this time with his right foot.
    warboys.jpg

The ball is virtually obscured by an upright as Alan Warboys completes his sensational hat trick against Carlisle with all of his goals coming between the third and tenth minutes.

Even though he had not been at the club very long, Warboys had been doing enough scoring for supporters to have become aware of his ritual celebration of a goal whereby he slid to his knees and ended up in what was almost a position of prayer. The first two goals had seen a repeat of that, but there was a bit of a change for the third as, with his hat trick completed, the striker raced to the City dug out with his hand held out open towards Jimmy Scoular as if asking for the £5 from his own pocket the manager had said he’d give any of his players who scored three in a game!

Often when a match is effectively over before it had begun because of a scoring burst in the opening minutes, what follows is tame stuff indeed by comparison. This can hardly be viewed as a surprise because the team on the receiving end, besides being devastated, are realistic enough to know that there is only a very small chance that the match can turn out as anything but a defeat. Similarly, the team with the big lead knows that, although there is still an awfully long time left to go in the game, a professional, no undue risks taken attitude will see them end up with maximum points.

Little wonder then that, after the initial fireworks, Carlisle were more set on keeping things as respectable as they could and Cardiff had no great desire to go hunting a fourth goal. The visitors’ midfield man Frank Barton landed an acrobat overhead kick on the top of City’s net to give them a bit of a fright, but little else of note happened in the next half an hour or so until Warboys moved on to Jim Eadie’s long punt forward and would have had a great chance for a fourth if he had not been brought down by the sort of foul that might have earned visiting centreback Graham Winstanley a red card these days.

Whether it was this that got Warboys going again is not certain, but two minutes before half time, he was celebrating a fourth goal after what was probably the best of the quartet. Again, Rees was involved as he got by visiting right back Joe Davis and rolled a cross over from the bye line, the ball reached Mel Sutton who teed up Warboys for a bullet of a right footed shot from fifteen yards that left Carlisle keeper Alan Ross helpless.

City, and Warboys in particular, left the pitch at half time to a rousing ovation from a crowd who may have had Wednesday’s upcoming encounter with Real Madrid on their minds more when the match began, but were now fully absorbed by what they had watched in the previous forty five minutes.

The early stages of the second period saw Carlisle’s future Cardiff striker Bob Hatton mounting an almost one man bid to get his side on the scoresheet. First, he was foiled by a vigilant King who got back to hammer the ball out for a corner as the Carlisle man moved in to exploit a Don Murray error, then he beat a couple of players in a run down the wing which ended when he crossed to his unmarked strike partner Bobby Owen who wastefully headed over.

Hatton was then thwarted by a diving Eadie save, but Warboys had also served a reminder that he was still around in between times when he nodded a Dave Carver cross just over the bar and Carlisle’s suffering would have increased but for a bad miss by Sutton when Gibson found him in yards of space in front of goal, only for the midfield man to send his hurried effort yards wide..

With twenty minutes left Warboys, his work done, was substituted by Clark who would, surely, replace the ineligible Yorkshireman in the team for the mid week Cup Winners’ Cup game. It was Clark who came closest to scoring for City in the time which remained with a header which shaved the crossbar, but it was Owen who came nearest to the match’s fifth goal when his header came back off an upright, thereby proving once and for all that It just was not Carlisle’s day!

Match 40 Division Two Cardiff City (4) 4 Carlisle United (0) 0 6/3/71
    Cardiff; Eadie, Carver, Bell, Sutton, Murray, Phillips, King, Gibson, Warboys 2,4,9,43 (Clark), Woodruff, Rees
    Carlisle United; Ross, Davis, Gorman, Ternent, Winstanley, Sutton, Barton, Martin, Owen, Balderstone
    Att. 22,502

Re: The Warboys match - Cardiff 4 Carlisle 0.

I wuz there.

Great opening 10 mins, and another before HT, but christ the second half was a let-down.

Two memorable games that week, and I was only allowed to go to the Carlisle game as my dad said an evening game was too late for this 7 year old. Gutted to miss it then, still gutted 50 years later.

Good luck with the book Bob. I’ve already read it and it was my favourite Christmas present last year.

I was lucky enough to be at both games. Football then was the 'real thing' and I fondly remember those years. In comparison there's not been a lot of memorable stuff of late.

Please could TOBW post a link to where we can get the book? Thanks, TIB.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    Two memorable games that week, and I was only allowed to go to the Carlisle game as my dad said an evening game was too late for this 7 year old. Gutted to miss it then, still gutted 50 years later.

Good luck with the book Bob. I’ve already read it and it was my favourite Christmas present last year.
    Thanks Hamish, that's a shame about missing the game, but I suppose I can understand your Dad's point - thinking back, I'm fairly sure my father would have felt the same way if I'd been seven when the match was played.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    I was lucky enough to be at both games. Football then was the 'real thing' and I fondly remember those years. In comparison there's not been a lot of memorable stuff of late.

Please could TOBW post a link to where we can get the book? Thanks, TIB.
    Here you are.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Real-Madrid...s%2C162&sr=8-1

I was just too young to remember this season which until our success of more recent times has always bugged me, but it’s still a good read nevertheless. It reminded me of another hat-trick that has stuck in my mind from my formative years when nothing but the city result mattered to me. This one not so good🙂

https://www.carlisleunited.co.uk/new...at-trick-ball/

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I was just too young to remember this season which until our success of more recent times has always bugged me, but it’s still a good read nevertheless. It reminded me of another hat-trick that has stuck in my mind from my formative years when nothing but the city result mattered to me. This one not so good��

https://www.carlisleunited.co.uk/new...at-trick-ball/
    What that story doesn't mention is that we had a last game of the season relegation decider with Carlisle that season whereby they had to win to send us down in their place - it was a repeat of the situation in the Tony Villars game against Palace three years earlier.

We went ahead through Alan Campbell, who I think I'm right in saying only scored one other goal, against Hereford in the 35,000 crowd match, for us, but Carlisle equalised within two minutes and that's how things stayed until the last minute of the game when there was a pinball type scramble in the City goalmouth which we just survived and then a mass brawl broke out between the two teams right in front of our goal - shortly afterwards the final whistle blew and we'd survived by the skin of our teeth.

Here's the teams from the 4-3 game where Rafferty scored his hat trick;-

Carlisle 4 Cardiff 3 18/12/76

Burleigh, Hoolickin, Carr, Bonnyman, McDonald, Moncur, O'Neil, Barry, Rafferty 84,87,90, McVitie 38 (Lathan)

Healey, Attley, Pethard (Sayer 51), Buchanan 63, Dwyer, Larmour, Campbell, Livermore, Evans 77, Showers, Grapes

Att. 5,924

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Thanks for the link

Thanks for reminding me of the 4-3 game 18/12/76 where Rafferty scored his hat trick, I am still scarred by this away game. I will never forget that we were 3-1 up with 6 minutes to go a week before Christmas.

Carlisle got an early Christmas present and we had a long trip home on our supporters coach. I have never known a coach so quiet, we were all shell shocked and could not believe what we had seen.

The 150 or so City fans who made the 600 mile round trip deserved better but it has always been a roller coaster watching the City.

What a week that was 50 years ago. I was in the Canton Stand Block C. Warboys3 in 10 minutes then fourth before half time, right in front of me. Four days later Brian Clark scores again in the same end. Fabulous.

The 4-3 at Carlisle I remember well, I knew we were 3-1 up (not sure how), but to find out we lost 4-3 was very disappointing to say the least.

I remember the brawl in the home Carlisle game too, it was a proper punch up. A very tense game too. Luckily we managed to survive in Division 2 for another 5 years!

I was there ( first game that is) but for some reason I didn't remember that it was Carlisle ( obviously it was). I'd been thinking it was Sheffield Wednesday all these years. Didn't we buy him from them - that might be what confused my memory.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    What a week that was 50 years ago. I was in the Canton Stand Block C. Warboys3 in 10 minutes then fourth before half time, right in front of me. Four days later Brian Clark scores again in the same end. Fabulous.

The 4-3 at Carlisle I remember well, I knew we were 3-1 up (not sure how), but to find out we lost 4-3 was very disappointing to say the least.

I remember the brawl in the home Carlisle game too, it was a proper punch up. A very tense game too. Luckily we managed to survive in Division 2 for another 5 years!
    I was also in the Canton stand with my Dad for both games, I can't remember the block but sat about 10 rows up, right behind the goal, the perfect view for two great games

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    I was there ( first game that is) but for some reason I didn't remember that it was Carlisle ( obviously it was). I'd been thinking it was Sheffield Wednesday all these years. Didn't we buy him from them - that might be what confused my memory.
    Yes, we did sign Warboys from Sheffield Wednesday and he made his debut for us in a home game with Swindon on Boxing Day 1970.
    That game finished 1-1 and he was cup tied for the following week’s FA Cup Third Round game with Brighton that we won 1-0. Warboys returned for our next match which is the one you’re thinking of - at home to Sheffield Wednesday. Warboys scored his first goals for us in this match, he got two in another 4-0 win.

Yes I recall being placated because I was terribly upset that they'd let Toshack go.
    Warboys seemed a shockingly adequate replacement and it became apparent that Brian Clark was the real creative force there.
    Looking back a LOT of Toshack's goals were simple tap ins from a Clark pass after he's drawn the defenders

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    I was also in the Canton stand with my Dad for both games, I can't remember the block but sat about 10 rows up, right behind the goal, the perfect view for two great games

How remarkable. I had a season ticket in block C of the Canton Stand for a number of years before I took the Queen's shilling and never got round to going back to Wales really. I was there for both those games and the Real Madrid game so I would have been close to you.
    You will remember that there was a whole "community" of chums there at that time - people of all ages and all over the place who got to know each other through chatting at games but only ever met there really.

Tell me, do you remember the aroma of some subtle mix of pipe tobacco possibly including rum and spices which some older bloke used to smoke near the front, and which pervaded the whole stand by halftime ? The place going temporarily silent as they announced the time of the "golden goal", often with someone wavng their ticket and people cheering that they'd won ? ( They'd probably mug him for it now I expect). Over the tannoy would be Shirley Bassey singing " Don't want to leave you now" and that song about " I beg your pardon ,I never promised you a Rose Garden", ( although that wasn't Shirley Bassey of course).

Warboys’ bandaged arm is a lasting memory.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    How remarkable. I had a season ticket in block C of the Canton Stand for a number of years before I took the Queen's shilling and never got round to going back to Wales really. I was there for both those games and the Real Madrid game so I would have been close to you.
    You will remember that there was a whole "community" of chums there at that time - people of all ages and all over the place who got to know each other through chatting at games but only ever met there really.

Tell me, do you remember the aroma of some subtle mix of pipe tobacco possibly including rum and spices which some older bloke used to smoke near the front, and which pervaded the whole stand by halftime ? The place going temporarily silent as they announced the time of the "golden goal", often with someone wavng their ticket and people cheering that they'd won ? ( They'd probably mug him for it now I expect). Over the tannoy would be Shirley Bassey singing " Don't want to leave you now" and that song about " I beg your pardon ,I never promised you a Rose Garden", ( although that wasn't Shirley Bassey of course).
    Ha, unfortunately those seats in the Canton Stand were special occasions as it was more expensive, my normal spot was just inside the chicken wire in the Grange End boys enclosure. My lasting memory of the old Canton Stand was how dark the walkway was at the back of the stand before you entered the turnstiles, happy times.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Warboys’ bandaged arm is a lasting memory.
    Yes and me love the bandage moment , great old war horse , didn't we swaped him for the great moustached nippy Gil Reece and blonde defender Dave Powell from the Blades ??

Got called smash alongside Bruce Bannister the grab at Bristol Rovers, Warboys smashed 50 plus for them .

Great character, no real Tosh replacement though .

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    With Wednesday's fiftieth anniversary of the Real Madrid win almost upon us, it is also half a century to the day since another memorable game from the 70/71 season - here's the chapter on our big win over Carlisle United on 6 March 1971 from my book Real Madrid and all that;-

Early March 1971.
    Warboys stuns Carlisle and wins himself a fiver!

It would appear Jimmy Scoular saw how his team had performed after the introduction of Bobby Woodruff for Brian Clark as an improvement on what had gone before at Hull, because the team that had finished the previous weekend became the one which started seven days later in front of a crowd of 22,731 at Ninian Park for the visit of an in form Carlisle United team.

The Cumbrians were definite contenders for a top two finish and all of the indications were that it would be a tight affair with little between two sides perhaps more interested in not losing than risking no points as they chased two.
    In some ways, that’s how it was for long stretches of the game, but the fact of the matter was that this only occurred after a truly sensational opening ten minutes in which one man had effectively ended the match as any sort of contest!

Alan Warboys took to the pitch still looking like he had just come from an accident and emergency ward – his left leg was still as heavily strapped as it had been when he scored the equaliser at Hull and his right wrist was still bandaged as it had been after a home defender had stood on it seven days earlier.

However, it made no difference to the striker as he took what Clive Phillips in the Western Mail timed as seven minutes and fourteen seconds to score one of Cardiff City’s more memorable hat tricks.

The routing of Carlisle began in the third minute when Warboys met an Ian Gibson free kick with his head. Warboys’ initial scoring attempt was foiled as it was blocked by a defender, but the ball went straight back to the striker who despatched it into the net with his trusty left foot.

There had been barely five minutes played when the man who was unable to stop scoring found Nigel Rees on the half way line, the teenage winger then made ground down the left before crossing to Gibson, who was able to find Warboys and, once again, his left foot did the rest, this time from a bit further out.

The third soon arrived when Peter King spotted Woodruff’s perceptive run and found him with a long diagonal pass. The ball was then transferred quickly to Rees who crossed to the far post where Warboys was in just enough room to be able to score easily – this time with his right foot.
    warboys.jpg

The ball is virtually obscured by an upright as Alan Warboys completes his sensational hat trick against Carlisle with all of his goals coming between the third and tenth minutes.

Even though he had not been at the club very long, Warboys had been doing enough scoring for supporters to have become aware of his ritual celebration of a goal whereby he slid to his knees and ended up in what was almost a position of prayer. The first two goals had seen a repeat of that, but there was a bit of a change for the third as, with his hat trick completed, the striker raced to the City dug out with his hand held out open towards Jimmy Scoular as if asking for the £5 from his own pocket the manager had said he’d give any of his players who scored three in a game!

Often when a match is effectively over before it had begun because of a scoring burst in the opening minutes, what follows is tame stuff indeed by comparison. This can hardly be viewed as a surprise because the team on the receiving end, besides being devastated, are realistic enough to know that there is only a very small chance that the match can turn out as anything but a defeat. Similarly, the team with the big lead knows that, although there is still an awfully long time left to go in the game, a professional, no undue risks taken attitude will see them end up with maximum points.

Little wonder then that, after the initial fireworks, Carlisle were more set on keeping things as respectable as they could and Cardiff had no great desire to go hunting a fourth goal. The visitors’ midfield man Frank Barton landed an acrobat overhead kick on the top of City’s net to give them a bit of a fright, but little else of note happened in the next half an hour or so until Warboys moved on to Jim Eadie’s long punt forward and would have had a great chance for a fourth if he had not been brought down by the sort of foul that might have earned visiting centreback Graham Winstanley a red card these days.

Whether it was this that got Warboys going again is not certain, but two minutes before half time, he was celebrating a fourth goal after what was probably the best of the quartet. Again, Rees was involved as he got by visiting right back Joe Davis and rolled a cross over from the bye line, the ball reached Mel Sutton who teed up Warboys for a bullet of a right footed shot from fifteen yards that left Carlisle keeper Alan Ross helpless.

City, and Warboys in particular, left the pitch at half time to a rousing ovation from a crowd who may have had Wednesday’s upcoming encounter with Real Madrid on their minds more when the match began, but were now fully absorbed by what they had watched in the previous forty five minutes.

The early stages of the second period saw Carlisle’s future Cardiff striker Bob Hatton mounting an almost one man bid to get his side on the scoresheet. First, he was foiled by a vigilant King who got back to hammer the ball out for a corner as the Carlisle man moved in to exploit a Don Murray error, then he beat a couple of players in a run down the wing which ended when he crossed to his unmarked strike partner Bobby Owen who wastefully headed over.

Hatton was then thwarted by a diving Eadie save, but Warboys had also served a reminder that he was still around in between times when he nodded a Dave Carver cross just over the bar and Carlisle’s suffering would have increased but for a bad miss by Sutton when Gibson found him in yards of space in front of goal, only for the midfield man to send his hurried effort yards wide..

With twenty minutes left Warboys, his work done, was substituted by Clark who would, surely, replace the ineligible Yorkshireman in the team for the mid week Cup Winners’ Cup game. It was Clark who came closest to scoring for City in the time which remained with a header which shaved the crossbar, but it was Owen who came nearest to the match’s fifth goal when his header came back off an upright, thereby proving once and for all that It just was not Carlisle’s day!

Match 40 Division Two Cardiff City (4) 4 Carlisle United (0) 0 6/3/71
    Cardiff; Eadie, Carver, Bell, Sutton, Murray, Phillips, King, Gibson, Warboys 2,4,9,43 (Clark), Woodruff, Rees
    Carlisle United; Ross, Davis, Gorman, Ternent, Winstanley, Sutton, Barton, Martin, Owen, Balderstone
    Att. 22,502
    I could have sworn he was substituted at half time. Alzheimer's setting in me thinks

":...who teed up Warboys for a bullet of a right footed shot from fifteen yards that left Carlisle keeper Alan Ross helpless."

This is the one I remember. I was standing not too far away. Thirteen years old. Happy days.

Yeah, can't hear a word against Tosh. I wallpapered my room with him. LOL. Devastated when they sold him to Liverpool. I was 12 or 13 and had no idea that Cardiff City were basically a proving ground for Division One talent. I vowed I would never attend a City game again and held fast until the very last minute when it was still possible for me to get to the game on time. Then I hopped on a bus and headed to Sloper Road. Ninian Park back then was an intoxicating experience. Perhaps Cardiff City Stadium is too, for today's 13-year-olds.