+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Championship standard getting worse?

Championship standard getting worse?

A very average Norwich squad 10 points clear.
    No real stand out players in any squad.
    Not much decent football on display.
    The division appears to be getting weaker rather than stronger..

Re: Championship standard getting worse?

that Norwich side has some excellent players, it's amazing they managed to keep it together over the summer.
    buendia would get into almost any squad in the premier League, and improve a lot of the first teams as well.
    Cantwell, Aarons, pukki are all premier League players.
    don't let their poor performance in the premier League last year cool you.
    there is a lot of talent in the rest of the division as well, all of the 3 relegated teams last year are packed with quality.
    there are some great youngsters like Harvey Elliott and Michael Olise who will go in to have very good careers.
    I think you could probably make an argument for this season to be the strongest championship in years.

I think the lack of fans has done some strange things to home advantage and has actually levelled the playing field a bit and as such no one team, Norwich apart, have really stood out. All in all it's likely the 'quality' is higher than it's ever been.

I think it is, i said a few days ago I don't think any team is as good as us Fulham and wolves who all went up one year.

Brentford have had much stronger teams in recent years. I'd expect a lot more from Bournemouth but the rest aren't particularly great. Watford, Swansea have had much better teams.

We've been pretty good under MM and have title winning form but we are hardly the greatest team.

Barnsley play some decent stuff.

I think football and sport in general in going to plateau as athletes are reaching maximum efficency.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post

Wouldn't that suggest things are getting more even? Don't underestimate role covid has played: We had 7 days off before this season, Brentford presumably less than that, Rotherham have a silly schedule after the international window, MM has said they're not doing any training just recovery for the next game....

I agree with you. The fact that the three sides that went up to the Premier last season look to be coming straight back down, certainly backs that up. Anyone watching Championship football on a regular basis would have to agree that standards are pretty poor. The money is in the Premier, and it's not coming this way at all. We are dropping further and further behind, and it doesn't take much for even a slightly better side to rise above the dross.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I agree with you. The fact that the three sides that went up to the Premier last season look to be coming straight back down, certainly backs that up. Anyone watching Championship football on a regular basis would have to agree that standards are pretty poor. The money is in the Premier, and it's not coming this way at all. We are dropping further and further behind, and it doesn't take much for even a slightly better side to rise above the dross.
    Leeds are 12 points clear of the drop whilst Fulham are just 3 points off Newcastle & Brighton

Honestly can't remember a championship season where someone hasn't said this. It's very often "the weakest ever".

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    That's a relief for Sheffield United.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Wouldn't that suggest things are getting more even? Don't underestimate role covid has played: We had 7 days off before this season, Brentford presumably less than that, Rotherham have a silly schedule after the international window, MM has said they're not doing any training just recovery for the next game....
    More even, doesn’t always equate to a better standard. Sure covid has played a part, but surely professional footballers can play 2 games a week, with squad rotation?

We have this every season. The teams that went down by and large kept all their key players so were bound to be strong. From a Reading perspective watching Michael Olise on form, or Ovie Ejaria, John Swift and Lucas Joao playing well has been a joy. I’ve seen football that has been brilliant to watch at times.

More even, doesn’t always equate to a better standard. Sure covid has played a part, but surely professional footballers can play 2 games a week, with SQUAD ROTATION ?

If they do this, then they are not playing two games a week. !!!!!!!

Two games a week should be a piece of piss for fit athletes, players were playing two games a week in the past, what's the difference now ?
    Apart from the fact their wallets are heavier !

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Honestly can't remember a championship season where someone hasn't said this. It's very often "the weakest ever".
    You're right. However, this time around I think the claim has some genuine merit.

Overall, the standard of football in the Championship this season is utterly awful. So many teams seem so weak and seem devoid of genuine ability. The division is competitive and it's not easy to predict, so it's entertaining from that perspective, but the football itself is desperately poor more often than not. The fact that a Norwich side who are no more than decent and consistent are walking away with it speaks volumes.

Of course, there's never any way of proving the strength of the division one way or the other, but for me it's the standard of play that seems so poor this time around. No doubt there are many factors that have contributed to that, not least the pandemic situation which means less time on the training fields, less recovery time and more injuries, but the football itself is often abysmal, especially by comparison to the top flight.

I watch plenty of Championship football on TV each season. I honestly can't remember a campaign during which I've turned games off so often simply because they're awful to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Leeds are 12 points clear of the drop whilst Fulham are just 3 points off Newcastle & Brighton
    Yeah, what a weird, barefaced lie thing to say

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    If they do this, then they are not playing two games a week. !!!!!!!

Two games a week should be a piece of piss for fit athletes, players were playing two games a week in the past, what's the difference now ?
    Apart from the fact their wallets are heavier !
    It's one thing playing two games a week, but quite another maintaining high standards when the games are coming thick and fast.
    During the course of a season most players will play when they're carrying a slight injury, so it's inevitable that performance levels will drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    The teams that went down by and large kept all their key players so were bound to be strong.
    Norwich did, but they were a very weak Premier League team anyway.

Watford lost some key players including Dawson, Deulofeu, Doucoure and Pereyra, but their squad still looks strong by Championship standards.

However, Bournemouth lost Ake, Fraser, King, Ramsdale and the two Wilsons. They're a much weaker outfit than they were last season and it shows.

it's always the way for as long as I can remember, when we are doing poorly people say it is a strong league, when we start to.do.well all of a sudden it is a weak league.

there is a lot of talent in this division, the football isn't always the best but the schedule has a lot to answer for there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    it's always the way for as long as I can remember, when we are doing poorly people say it is a strong league, when we start to.do.well all of a sudden it is a weak league.

there is a lot of talent in this division, the football isn't always the best but the schedule has a lot to answer for there.
    I’m not basing anything on how we are doing.
    I’m basing it on what i’m seeing with my own eyes.

No stand out players?!?

All the top clubs are being linked with their right back - Max Aarons. Bayern Munich are also said to be interested.

Buiendia and Cantwell are also very much stand out players in this division.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    It’s a tedious and lazy argument

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    We have this every season. The teams that went down by and large kept all their key players so were bound to be strong. From a Reading perspective watching Michael Olise on form, or Ovie Ejaria, John Swift and Lucas Joao playing well has been a joy. I’ve seen football that has been brilliant to watch at times.
    Reading have been very entertaining to watch this season the games I’ve seen. The exact opposite to Cardiff. Friday nights game v Huddersfield could have sent an insomniac with glass eyes to sleep.

The Premiership seems to be of a lesser standard too, from mid-table downwards.

I had the mis-fortune of watching Villa v Wolves last night in a pretty dull nil nil.
    Luckily I steered clear of Wet Brom v Newcastle today currently nil nil with a couple of minutes to go.

I firmly believe that the lack of crowds has a big impact on quality, especially in the higher divisions.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    The Premiership seems to be of a lesser standard too, from mid-table downwards.

I had the mis-fortune of watching Villa v Wolves last night in a pretty dull nil nil.
    Luckily I steered clear of Wet Brom v Newcastle today currently nil nil with a couple of minutes to go.

I firmly believe that the lack of crowds has a big impact on quality, especially in the higher divisions.
    The lack of fans does have effect for sure

On the subject of no fans and from a City perspective, I’d say one or two of our home losses could have been avoided if there’d been a Canton Stand roaring on the team as they attacked that end in the closing minutes, but, whereas 2-0 has been considered a pretty big win in recent years when there’s often been 20 thousand present, we’ve been blowing away teams when there’s been no one there this season. We’ve won three matches 4-0, two 3-0, there’s been a 3-1 and a 3-2 - we’ve not had a record like that at home since the days of Chopra and Bothroyd.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    It’s a tedious and lazy argument
    It’s not an argument. It’s an opinion.