Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
Honestly can't remember a championship season where someone hasn't said this. It's very often "the weakest ever".
You're right. However, this time around I think the claim has some genuine merit.

Overall, the standard of football in the Championship this season is utterly awful. So many teams seem so weak and seem devoid of genuine ability. The division is competitive and it's not easy to predict, so it's entertaining from that perspective, but the football itself is desperately poor more often than not. The fact that a Norwich side who are no more than decent and consistent are walking away with it speaks volumes.

Of course, there's never any way of proving the strength of the division one way or the other, but for me it's the standard of play that seems so poor this time around. No doubt there are many factors that have contributed to that, not least the pandemic situation which means less time on the training fields, less recovery time and more injuries, but the football itself is often abysmal, especially by comparison to the top flight.

I watch plenty of Championship football on TV each season. I honestly can't remember a campaign during which I've turned games off so often simply because they're awful to watch.