+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the strangest thing you've seen at football?

Re: What's the strangest thing you've seen at football?

Jorn schwinkendorf jumping

Me and my lot’s place on the Bob Bank was right at the back in the corner by the Grange End. Very often there wasn’t another soul in front of us all the way down to the pitch. One game a City clearance reached us at the back, I kicked it back, one bounce on the terracing, over the fence and the Rochdale/Darlington/Hartlepool (it was someone like that) player caught it with a shout of “Cheers mate”. It was like someone getting the ball back over Pontcanna or The Racecourse.......although the standard was worse ....and some fans moan at the way we play today

i recall a kitchen fire at Ninian Park - where there was black smoke billowing while the game just carried on as normal

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    is he from the neath Valley!?
    No Merthyr

Surprised nobody mentioned Shane Duffy when he was trying to force a move away from Blackburn. Scored two own goals including, as I remember, a great header. The crowd was singing "Duffy is a Bluebird" Then, even better, he got himself sent off - the crowd stood up and applauded him off.

Games don't get much better.

I,m not sure but i think it wa Reading away. One young city fan was getting ejected and when asked why the steward said he was smoking. With that everone in the area lit up a fag. The steward was so confused he let the lad go.

Quote Originally Posted by ryder bluebird View Post
    Surprised nobody mentioned Shane Duffy when he was trying to force a move away from Blackburn. Scored two own goals including, as I remember, a great header. The crowd was singing "Duffy is a Bluebird" Then, even better, he got himself sent off - the crowd stood up and applauded him off.

Another strange thing.... he was our top scorer for a while

The clock at Pompy.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    The clock at Pompy.
    What clock.

Apologies for the sketchiness of this, but my memory ain't what it used to be.
    I can't remember the player's name Let's call him "Smith", or even the team, but I believe he was a new-ish recruit to the away side at NP, he was on the wing by the bobbank, and he kept waving, like "pass to me", only for his team-mates to play elsewhere.
    After this happened a few times, the whole bob bank went crazy, waving their arms in the air, chanting "let's all do the Smithy" (or whatever his name was)

Can anyone fill in the details?

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I can't remember the player's name Let's call him "Smith", or even the team, but I believe he was a new-ish recruit to the away side at NP, he was on the wing by the bobbank, and he kept waving, like "pass to me", only for his team-mates to play elsewhere.
    After this happened a few times, the whole bob bank went crazy, waving their arms in the air, chanting "let's all do the Smithy" (or whatever his name was)

The name was Leo.... and he played for us

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    There are loads of things, mostly fan induced. Remember Stockport away, mid nineties, first game of the season. We were tonked and Kevin Francis beat lumps out of our defence. That was standard fare back then. The one thing that stands out is some City fan walking the terrace with a ghetto blaster, taking zero notice of the game and nobody else really batting an eyelid, although that was pretty much standard fare back then as well.

Two identical Twins beating the shit out of each other at Hereford away, early 90s. The plod turned the dogs on them both and they both attacked the dogs. More disturbing that day was a youngish City fan who suffered with Cerebral Palsy being detained by the police at the train station because the police thought that he was pissed due to the way that he walked and talked due to his disability. City fans were surrounding the police protesting his innocence.
    They were deaf those twins

Both complete hoolies

Remember up at crewe they were pelting the police with coins until they got collared

Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    No Merthyr
    thought so , posh Fecker

Quote Originally Posted by ryder bluebird View Post

that accounted for 50% of our wins under Paul Trollope

During the Durban years I remember standing in the Family Enclosure,just behind the dugout and we were playing Middlesbrough. I think it was about 85,so I would have been 14-15. Anyway, we actually won the game,I think 2-1 so you can imagine how bad Boro must've been that day.There were a few Boro fans stood around us, and when one of their players was subbed they started abusing him as he walked towards the bench. Rather than ignore them he came over and tried opening the little gate that was behind the dugout into the enclosure. When he couldn't open it, he tried climbing over, only for the stewards to restrain him. Its fair to say that the Boro fans shit themselves and backed down from him. After this commotion a few of City's lads came into the enclosure, and the Boro fans left shortly afterwards. The one abiding memory I have was when the player was confronting them, he was rubbing his little general throughout!

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post

Chris Hussey of Coventry.

In about 1971, when standing on the Bob Bank a ball ricocheted in to the crowd. My mate instinctively put up his hand to stop in, not realising he was holding a pastie at the time! The mess went over everybody.....and he had to go and buy another pastie.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Chris Hussey of Coventry.
    Good shout, I think it was CCS though wasn't it? And it was the Ninian Stand doing the waving

Steve Lethal Lynex volleying a ball during a match and it getting wedged between a gate and the fence and everyone wetting themselves. Think it was against Newport County

Back in c1969-71 some friends and I stood behind the Boys' Enclosure in the Grange End. One of the lads brought along his girl-friend who promptly sat down on the concrete terracing, pulled out a copy of Tolstoy's, "War & Peace," and read it throughout the game.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    Back in c1969-71 some friends and I stood behind the Boys' Enclosure in the Grange End. One of the lads brought along his girl-friend who promptly sat down on the concrete terracing, pulled out a copy of Tolstoy's, "War & Peace," and read it throughout the game.

StT.
    <><
    Must have been a long injury time!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post

StT.
    <><
    She should have been at the back of the Grangetown End, it was just War up there

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    She should have been at the back of the Grangetown End, it was just War up there
    I experienced that many times when we were playing towards the Canton Stand. I stayed down the front when we attacked the Grangetown End.

StT.
    <><

Nope. She read it during all the game whether there was play or stoppages. I think her name was Patti.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Must have been a long injury time!
    Nope. She read it during all the game whether there was play or stoppages. I think her name was Patti.

StT.
    <><