+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Free Agent signings

Free Agent signings

Anyone know what the rules are on this ?

As I understand it( and I'm no expert) , we can sign a free agent at any time. It seems with the injury list right now that this might be a good idea.

Now, here's the question. If a co operative club were to terminate a players contract with immediate effect, much as we did with NML, would that mean that he'd become a free agent and that, urgo, we could sign him ?

There must be many players in the required positions who aren't getting into the team and who aren't going to get a new contract.
    That'd solve a problem - is there any rule to prevent it ?

Re: Free Agent signings

At levels below the first team, what you talk is almost encouraged - City have had a “trialist” playing for them at under 23 level in their last three matches and I wouldn’t mind betting he’s someone who has been told he was not going to be offered anew contract in the summer and so he’s free to find another team - my guess is that he’d be allowed to sigh for if we wanted him - I’m pretty sure that happened when we signed Semi Ajayi.
    The same sort of thing has happened with Greg Cunningham- he was originally at Preston on loan, but we allowed them to effectively take over his contract and I believe much the same has probably happened with Jonny Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    At levels below the first team, what you talk is almost encouraged - City have had a “trialist” playing for them at under 23 level in their last three matches and I wouldn’t mind betting he’s someone who has been told he was not going to be offered anew contract in the summer and so he’s free to find another team - my guess is that he’d be allowed to sigh for if we wanted him - I’m pretty sure that happened when we signed Semi Ajayi.
    The same sort of thing has happened with Greg Cunningham- he was originally at Preston on loan, but we allowed them to effectively take over his contract and I believe much the same has probably happened with Jonny Williams.
    Any idea who the trialist is TOBW?

MM said that were close to signing the Huddersfield striker as he was a free agent but new Brexit rules meant he did not have sufficient points. Huddersfield stepped in and appealed the decision and signed him instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    MM said that were close to signing the Huddersfield striker as he was a free agent but new Brexit rules meant he did not have sufficient points. Huddersfield stepped in and appealed the decision and signed him instead.
    I think we suffered with that signing because of the international rules that mean we have to go through different protocols because we’re a Welsh club - that’s what Mick McCarthy mentioned anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Any idea who the trialist is TOBW?
    No, his identity would have been known while his first game was being played in the past, but City seem determined to keep his name a secret this time. He was good in his first two matches, but, like the rest of our defence, had a bit of a mare in the 5-4 defeat by Charlton last week.

I think we suffered with that signing because of the international rules that mean we have to go through different protocols because we’re a Welsh club - that’s what Mick McCarthy mentioned anyway.
    Would that be the guy who missed the penalty against us and generally looked rubbish?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitman View Post
    Would that be the guy who missed the penalty against us and generally looked rubbish?
    That’s the one.

For a free agent to be allowed to sign his contract must have been terminated by the holding club by the transfer deadline date. I think that was 1 February just gone. So if he now has his contract terminated he cannot sign for another club this season. That's why you see so many 'contract terminated by mutual agreement' on or just before dealing day.

So if someone had a contract running out this June, as long as he and the club agreed he would usually forego his contract and his wages for the rest of the season. He could then move to another club for maybe more wages for the rest of the season or maybe on a longer deal now , rather than wait for the end of the season when there are scores of players out of contract and he'd have more competition. That seems to be the case with Johnny Williams.

That’s the one.
    He won a fair amount in the air, and I didnt think our cb's looked that comfortable against him. Would have been a better centre forward understudy for Moore than we've got.