+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Harry and Meghan interview

Harry and Meghan interview

I don't have much of an interest in the royal family. I don't even really support the institution. However, out of interest I watched the interview last night. I guess I figured it would be historically significant.

My overall thought watching was good for them both calling out the systemic racism and nastiness of not only the royal family but the entire British establishment and especially the media.

Forward to this morning and seeing British nationalists and royalists having a complete meltdown was incredibly satisfying. I hope this marks the start of the end of the royal family, or at least their prominence and wrongly elevated position. They are, as an institution, an absolute disgrace and bollocks to this nonsense that the Queen is a nice lady, she ain't.

Anyone else see it?

Re: Harry and Meghan interview

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    I don't have much of an interest in the royal family. I don't even really support the institution. However, out of interest I watched the interview last night. I guess I figured it would be historically significant.

My overall thought watching was good for them both calling out the systemic racism and nastiness of not only the royal family but the entire British establishment and especially the media.

Forward to this morning and seeing British nationalists and royalists having a complete meltdown was incredibly satisfying. I hope this marks the start of the end of the royal family, or at least their prominence and wrongly elevated position. They are, as an institution, an absolute disgrace and bollocks to this nonsense that the Queen is a nice lady, she ain't.

Anyone else see it?
    Can’t see anything good coming out of a he says, she says family argument being sold to the highest bidder wanting sensational headlines.

Don’t really care who’s right or wrong - to me they all look wrong and this is just influenced by money.

if it hastens a return to a republic then I'm all for it.

I think she's a right sort

I think she's a right sort
    And on International Women's Day too...

Anyone else see it?
    No. Seen the news.

Your last line on the Queen. Didnt he praise her and not put any blame on her and also say he is more in contact with her than before.

Cant see what the purpose of the interview was other than money.
    Whatever they said would never go to heal any rift between them and the Royals, and I doubt there will be any response from them either.
    They wanted out and they got it, so should stay out.

When Lizzy cops it the whole thing will crumble.

The notion of royalty (particularly in the UK where the concept is semi-deified) is anachronistic and infantilising - and seemingly almost impossible for an outsider to join unless they kow-tow to that particular establishment. Conversely, it's like a gilded cage for many of those born into it, particularly the younger members who at least sound like they come from the same planet as the rest of us to some degree. I have little interest in either side of the argument in respect of the latest debacle but it does seem that only relatively passive and white English roses may have any chance of marrying into the family successfully on the one hand - but on the other hand it is equally absurd for someone to opt out of the institution (very understandably) but still be addressed as a prince.

I don't wish anyone ill but if this deals a blow to the concept of royalty I'm all for it.

Why so much money and attention is devoted to the Monarchy never ceases to bewilder me. It has very little bearing on my life but I’d quite happily see the institution ditched.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    International Womens Day.jpg

The couple who left the UK to avoid publicity and the media go on national and international TV to air their grievances. Their actions do not compute.

Spare a thought for Nicholas Witchell at this time......

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Cant see what the purpose of the interview was other than money.
    Whatever they said would never go to heal any rift between them and the Royals, and I doubt there will be any response from them either.
    They wanted out and they got it, so should stay out.
    they weren’t paid so money wasn’t a motivation!

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    they weren’t paid so money wasn’t a motivation!
    FFS, are you that naive !

Disappointed with Oprah, the first question should have been why the feck did you invite me to your wedding when we had never met. Second question how come you only invited one friend (have you got any) and the third would have been about the relationship with her father.

Anyone else see it?
    I did start to reply to this but closed the tab by mistake!!

Can't be bothered to write it all again, all I will say I suspect there are faults on both sides.

I have issues with some of what they said, but also feel that there are problems that the Queen et al will need to address.

It is certainly not as simple as Harry and Megan good Royal Family bad as you seem to imply.

I suspect there will be a lot of media manipulation on both sides now and the true story may never come out.

They seem a very troubled couple to me both from disfunctional families.
    No matter where you stand with the Royal family don't you find it all rather sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    if it hastens a return to a republic then I'm all for it.
    Ah, so you're missing those heady days of 1649. Eleven years being liberated from those nasty royals. I'm sure in 400 years time your great great great great grandchildren will regale their children with the part their old grandaddy played in the monarchy's downfall.

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    It's wrong but

There's a meme going round with a creased banner saying "Happy international womens day" and a caption "she could have ironed it"

I'm sure there are more flying round.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    On International Women's Day I am celebrating the fact that meghan is a right sort

God bless her

Comedian Richard Herring usually spends all day on International Women's Day replying to men who indignantly tweet asking when International Men's Day, is with the answer (November 19th). I think it makes money for charity as well but he doesn't seem to be doing it this year

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Comedian Richard Herring usually spends all day on International Women's Day replying to men who indignantly tweet asking when International Men's Day, is with the answer (November 19th). I think it makes money for charity as well but he doesn't seem to be doing it this year
    WTF, first they have football teams , now they have their own day ?

No good will come of this. We will be doing the cooking and cleaning whilst they are all down the pub watching the footie... (mens , of course)

You've got to agree, that Haz chap certainly has balls. Only problem his missus has got them in her handbag.

Well done to all who have contributed to this topic so far - sensible observations on a topic that's bound to create some heat in the coming weeks and months. A majority of the British public is supportive of a constitutional monarchy that we have in UK, it fits in with the nation's history and helps give us a global prominence, particularly through the Commonwealth, we wouldn't otherwise enjoy.

A lot of people's opinion of the characters involved will have been shaped by what they've seen and heard in 'The Crown' which is not always a good guide. This current spat is typical of how the family - and more particularly their advisers - handle personal relationships and as ever is therefore badly flawed. And this is a trait they can't always control, small things get amplified out of proportion; take for instance the revelation that's probably going to dominate the conversation that during Meghan's pregnancy 'concern' was expressed about 'how dark' the baby's skin would be. Apparently the comment was conveyed to Harry who shared it with Meghan and now she's revealed it to the world in the Oprah interview.

Who knows where and by whom the observation was originally made and how innocuous or mischievous was it intended to be? We'll probably never find out but, in the public and international domain it is incredibly damaging not least to UK's trade ambitions with the US where race is more divisive and damaging than UK. The topic dominated the breakfast shows this morning.

Final thought is the British royal family continues to struggle with inter-personal relationships which, when revealed, are extremely damaging. I've never thought this before now but the Queen (you know, the one we think of as stable an sensible) is, through the natural process of ageing, ill-equipped to take the lead and put this to bed. The interview is damaging, like both Charles's and Diana's in their marriage break up, and is likely to run for years to come given Harry and Meghan's youth.

MacAdder in the previous post said it is all 'rather sad' - as a Brit living abroad I agree and sadly see no upside anywhere.