+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The roads in Cardiff going to be mental once back to normal

The roads in Cardiff going to be mental once back to normal

Being a taxi driver in Cardiff I've seen the absolute bedlam awaiting this City once things start going back to normal regards to all the roads that have been altered during lockdown.
    First of all, Wellington Street which runs down to near the ninian park pub is now down to one lane each direction. This is going to be horrendous for everyone who drives to Cardiff games and Wales games. It was bad enough on times when it was two lanes both ways.
    I dread to imagine how long it is going to take you to get home and taxis will avoid the area like the plague.

Same on Tyndall Street, one lane each direction instead of two.

Wellfield Road Is now one way traffic. So Albany Road will be fooked.

Cowbridge Road by St David's hospital is only one lane each way towards town and canton.

Castle Street closed to cars.
    I'm seriously thinking of changing jobs as whoever is in charge of the road infrastructure has no idea of the mess they are about to unfold on anyone attempting to drive in this city.
    God help us

Re: The roads in Cardiff going to be mental once back to normal

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    Being a taxi driver in Cardiff I've seen the absolute bedlam awaiting this City once things start going back to normal regards to all the roads that have been altered during lockdown.
    First of all, Wellington Street which runs down to near the ninian park pub is now down to one lane each direction. This is going to be horrendous for everyone who drives to Cardiff games and Wales games. It was bad enough on times when it was two lanes both ways.
    I dread to imagine how long it is going to take you to get home and taxis will avoid the area like the plague.

Same on Tyndall Street, one lane each direction instead of two.

Wellfield Road Is now one way traffic. So Albany Road will be fooked.

Cowbridge Road by St David's hospital is only one lane each way towards town and canton.

Castle Street closed to cars.
    I'm seriously thinking of changing jobs as whoever is in charge of the road infrastructure has no idea of the mess they are about to unfold on anyone attempting to drive in this city.
    God help us
    Thought....is there a direct route through the new paper mill housing development to Sanatorium Road and onwards to the stadium? It's been over a year since trying to drive through. Any possible route was all fenced off due to construction work.

But we let them get away with it... I completely agree that Cardiff Council is doing it's best to make it hell for the motorist, without even thinking about putting anything in place to help matters. It's all cyclists, busses, and f*ck everyone else. I can't believe they're allowed to get away with it.

What’s needed is a food area on the road in front of the Castle

the schools have opened in England this week and noticed a big increase in traffic around the midlands .

First time i hit a traffic jam for about a year yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    What’s needed is a food area on the road in front of the Castle
    finally somebody with the courage to say it

I'd imagine that some of those people stuck in traffic will think they must find another form of transport for their journey.

Lots of people will still work from home I imagine I don’t think traffic will get like before for years

Cardiff Council have fecked up transport in and out of city. Longer term plan will hopefully be creating mini communities so need to travel to center is reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    I travel to work around the outskirts of the city centre every day and have been doing so throughout the pandemic. As you say, I reckon a great many drivers are going to be in for some very nasty surprises as soon as things begin moving again.

If I owned any kind of business that is based either in the city centre itself or anywhere near it I’d be extremely worried. Access for customers and staff alike is going to be a nightmare.

Today I drove to Clive Road from Whitchurch via Llandaff North and back.
    There were several 20 mph stretches.
    So many, that when I returned along Heol Don at 30 mph, I had a rather messy nose bleed.

I'm having a run-in with the Council's planning department at the moment, it's painful. So stupid and stubborn, they don't seem to have to answer to anyone either. It's all very well saying 'we let them get away with it' but I'm not quite sure how you stop them. Common sense isn't a weapon when you're dealing with them, that's for sure.

You think it’s bad now - wait until the next phase when the big flower planters are put in the side streets. London is gridlocked.

Someone told me the other day, that they have put false pavements in Canton (sticky out bits).

Don't know if it's true

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Someone told me the other day, that they have put false pavements in Canton (sticky out bits).

Don't know if it's true
    They're doing all sorts in Canton. They've got government grants to do some 'improvements' and they're in a mad rush to spend it but there's not a lot of thought going into the work from what I can see. No accountability, they just plough on.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

I thought it was the council’s declared intent to drive traffic out of the main shopping areas. Get everybody to use public transport. Then have an economic melt down because the revenue derived from business rates has disappeared and there not enough money left to pay for key services so the council tax rate gets another big hike to cover the shortfalls.

And still they build more and more houses on the outskirts. The Danescourt / Radyr / Rhydlafar stretch of the A4119 is becoming one big connected housing estate. More houses on the Creigiau section as well. And instead of adding facilities to cope they restrict the speed limits and add bus lanes.

Once work resumes imagine all that additional traffic trying to get into one lane to pass the old BBC building (which itself will be turned into 400 new houses) and then squeeze through Llandaff.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    And still they build more and more houses on the outskirts. The Danescourt / Radyr / Rhydlafar stretch of the A4119 is becoming one big connected housing estate. More houses on the Creigiau section as well. And instead of adding facilities to cope they restrict the speed limits and add bus lanes.

Once work resumes imagine all that additional traffic trying to get into one lane to pass the old BBC building (which itself will be turned into 400 new houses) and then squeeze through Llandaff.
    It won't be CARDIFF any more, it'll be CARPARK

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

Insanity...it was bad 25 years ago backed up past Radyr

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Insanity...it was bad 25 years ago backed up past Radyr
    Do you think that the local authority have just thought, **** it, we're going to force people out of their vehicles and onto public transport, park and ride schemes etc? The way that i see it is that people who can get into work using public transport, should do their level best to do so. The biggest issue seems to be that the costs of using public transport are way to high and the trains are ridiculously over crowded at peak times. The trade off between getting stuck in traffic and having to squeeze your way into a train carriage at 7am seems that people will take the risk of sitting in traffic. Public transport should be pennies and paid through taxation. If somebody wants to take their guzzling machine into the city centre because they fancy a browse, then they should be hammered for it in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Do you think that the local authority have just thought, **** it, we're going to force people out of their vehicles and onto public transport, park and ride schemes etc? The way that i see it is that people who can get into work using public transport, should do their level best to do so. The biggest issue seems to be that the costs of using public transport are way to high and the trains are ridiculously over crowded at peak times. The trade off between getting stuck in traffic and having to squeeze your way into a train carriage at 7am seems that people will take the risk of sitting in traffic. Public transport should be pennies and paid through taxation. If somebody wants to take their guzzling machine into the city centre because they fancy a browse, then they should be hammered for it in my opinion.
    Ya, all those people wanting jobs in retail, should be ashamed of making people use their cars for shopping

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Ya, all those people wanting jobs in retail, should be ashamed of making people use their cars for shopping
    Well thought out response.

There’s also plans in Cardiff to expand Cathays high and the council in their wisdom have ‘not dismissed’ the possibility of closing Crown Way as a though Road as part of the development.

Quote Originally Posted by Fancydan View Post
    There’s also plans in Cardiff to expand Cathays high and the council in their wisdom have ‘not dismissed’ the possibility of closing Crown Way as a though Road as part of the development.
    You can dial in to a council meeting tomorrow if youve got nothing better to do. They want to develop across the road on the site of the leisure centre which will include losing the cycle track and building a new one in the Bay.

Breaking news.... Wellfield road has gone one way! That's the end of that shopping experience!