Re: Cardiff City 1 - 0 Real Madrid. 50 years ago today

Posted twice to hopefully avoid the flaming adverts

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Who was there?
    Me.

Just been looking for my ticket, I think it was 1 shilling and 6 pence on the BOB BANK

I wuz there

Thought I was at the wrong game, Real playing in red.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Just been looking for my ticket, I think it was 1 shilling and 6 pence on the BOB BANK
    Me too.
    I was on the Grange End, my ticket was 40p (Formerly 8 shillings; we had gone decimal in Feb '71) Did you get in on a juvenile ticket?
    The official prgram was 5p(1 shilling)

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Me too.
    I was on the Grange End, my ticket was 40p (Formerly 8 shillings; we had gone decimal in Feb '71) Did you get in on a juvenile ticket?
    The official prgram was 5p(1 shilling)
    Still looking for ticket and programme but here's a pic of the team training at The Bernabeu before the second leg

madrid.jpg

Got mine

I wasn't even born at the time of the game but was very aware of the magnitude of the result as a youngster.

I played for Afan Lido in Port Talbot as a kid and through the age groups. At some point Nigel Rees, who played for City that night, was manager or coach of the 1st team in the Welsh League I think. I always remember my Dad going on and on that 'he was the man that crossed the ball for Brain Clarke's goal against Real Madrid!!'....anytime we saw him around. That night and Nigel certainly had mythical status for my old man

Me. Grange end enclosure in front of grandstand, near tunnel with my uncle. Ticket stub and programme in safe place understairs.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Me. Grange end enclosure in front of grandstand, near tunnel with my uncle. Ticket stub and programme in safe place understairs.
    I’m curious as to why you’d just leave pieces of memorabilia of that magnitude hidden out of sight, or in some people’s cases own them and not even be able to find them? I’d personally would’ve had them framed and proudly on display.

Nigel Rees’ comments really bring home how much the game has changed in fifty years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56339797

Another old fogey who witnessed it.

Still looking for ticket and programme but here's a pic of the team training at The Bernabeu before the second leg

madrid.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Another old fogey who witnessed it.
    Here you are Steve, name 'um

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I’m curious as to why you’d just leave pieces of memorabilia of that magnitude hidden out of sight, or in some people’s cases own them and not even be able to find them? I’d personally would’ve had them framed and proudly on display.
    I have over 1200 old programmes and some ticket stubs, home and away, in a chest. I stopped collecting in about 2014 when I was running out of space and the programmes were getting bigger and heavier. Cant part with them for some reason and I have a look through occasionally when feeling nostalgic. The good thing to keeping them in this way is that most are in good condition but I did used to write team changes on the programmes, so I dare say that would reduce value if I ever sold them. Hadn't really thought about putting anything on display but I guess that the Real Madrid ones would be a good place to start, wife permitting !

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

I was stood by the wall level with the 6 yard box line at the front of the Grange End. The image of Clarke’s leap is imprinted on my memory store.

Here you are Steve, name 'um
    I dare anyone to name the one second in line over Brian Clarks right shoulder ! Now that would be a true fan. PS. The shorts and training bottoms in those days don't leave much to the imagination

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

I dare anyone to name the one second in line over Brian Clarks right shoulder ! Now that would be a true fan. PS. The shorts and training bottoms in those days don't leave much to the imagination
    Issit Nigel Rees

I was there and it only seems like yesterday. As wonderful as it was to have beaten them in that game, I still look back with more satisfaction at our run to the semi-final a few years earlier. Still got the home programmes from all these games.

First Team

I attended both legs.
    But of a treat for an 11 year old.

Found the ticket, it was for in the Ground (Grange End or Bob Bank), it was 8/- (40p)

Programme was 1/- (5p)

Running through who you can see and working out who is left out, I would hazard a guess it's David Carver

I was there , 8 years old, can’t remember much apart from the mass of people. Still have the ticket stub

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Issit Nigel Rees
    Dont think so. Isnt he the one just behind Peter King ?