+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Referee Darren Drysdale

Referee Darren Drysdale

Remember a few weeks ago he almost nutted Ipswich player Alan Judge. Today he had his say

Re: Referee Darren Drysdale

Darren Drysdale to FA Commission:

"Alan Judge exaggerates his fall in a desperate attempt to gain a penalty. I then processed what had happened for a few seconds before blowing my whistle and decided to caution Alan Judge for an act of trying to deceive a match official.

"As I blew my whistle Alan Judge shouted aggressively in a loud voice at me and from a distance of only 5 metres "It's a f**king penalty you cheating bald c*nt!” Reacting completely out of character, I took exception to what I considered to be an offensive comment.

"I walked towards Alan Judge who then continued his tirade of abuse as he then, what I deemed as, aggressively and provokingly pointed his finger towards my face and shouted, "You're a f**king cheating c*nt!”.

"I accept that I should not have moved my head towards Alan Judge as this only inflamed the situation. At no time was there any physical contact between myself and Alan Judge."

FA contacted Ipswich who said Alan Judge "unavailable" and had already said he didn't want Drysdale punished. Club secretary said "he was aware that whilst the player did not accept he had used the word, “c*nt”, he did agree that he had used other insulting words towards Mr Drysdale".

I’d have thought such abuse of an official would result in a straight red. A player on the parks would definitely have been sent off. Aren’t refs microphoned up now? If so he should have the evidence to support his side of the affair, I doubt if players from either side would speak out against Judge for fear of upsetting their peers. Perhaps the FA commission should be asking why Judge wasn’t given his marching orders.

She's a good one for Sludge in the "Rare Moments of referees" video.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Perhaps the FA commission should be asking why Judge wasn’t given his marching orders.
    Yeah, coz that's the important thing.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Yeah, coz that's the important thing.....
    It is, players shouldn’t be dishing out abuse like that, the ref shouldn’t have got involved in squaring up, he should have kept his composure and sent him off. I’d imagine he’d have to write a report on the dismissal and the reason for it and would have received full backing. Isn’t there still the players disciplinary committee where the player is hauled up before (the press always said ‘hauled up’ as if he was dragged there)? Judge could have been judged there. Strange how the ref only gave a yellow.

It is, players shouldn’t be dishing out abuse like that, the ref shouldn’t have got involved in squaring up, he should have kept his composure and sent him off.
    Wow. I guess you're somebody who has always keeps his composure in all situations. I suppose if someone ever marched up to you and screamed abuse at you while poking his finger in your face, you'd be sure to keep your composure and simply tell him his behaviour was unacceptable.

In my opinion, it's a pity the ref kept his composure to the degree that he did. It's a shame he didn't chin the ****.

Strange how the ref only gave a yellow.
    Incidentally, if you watch the footage you can see that the ref was actually booking Judge for simulation.

Agree with Splotty P. Send the player off for foul and abusive behaviour. Judge might then learn you cannot speak like that to the match officials.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Agree with Splotty P. Send the player off for foul and abusive behaviour. Judge might then learn you cannot speak like that to the match officials.
    You reckon players don't speak like that to officials like that on a very regular basis?

Wow. I guess you're somebody who has always keeps his composure in all situations. I suppose if someone ever marched up to you and screamed abuse at you while poking his finger in your face, you'd be sure to keep your composure and simply tell him his behaviour was unacceptable.

In my opinion, it's a pity the ref kept his composure to the degree that he did. It's a shame he didn't chin the ****.
    Referee’s are a different breed to us mere mortals, they must be to even contemplate taking up the whistle, so comparing their composure to mine is a non starter. I think we’ve all witnessed stony faced refs in awe of their immunity to abuse from both crowd and players. What baffles me a bit is that Drysdale was pushed so far as to confront the player yet only deemed it a yellow when I’m sure he’s sent off players for abuse in his career yet, to my knowledge as I’m sure it would have come to light, hadn’t squared up to a player before.

Incidentally, if you watch the footage you can see that the ref was actually booking Judge for simulation.

I think a ref can whip a red out quite sharpish mind.

Referee’s are a different breed to us mere mortals, they must be to even contemplate taking up the whistle, so comparing their composure to mine is a non starter. I think we’ve all witnessed stony faced refs in awe of their immunity to abuse from both crowd and players. What baffles me a bit is that Drysdale was pushed so far as to confront the player yet only deemed it a yellow when I’m sure he’s sent off players for abuse in his career yet, to my knowledge as I’m sure it would have come to light, hadn’t squared up to a player before.
    He didn't deem the abuse worthy of a yellow. He deemed the dive worthy of a yellow. I'm guessing the instant he confronted the player he wanted to forget the whole thing and just get back to what he was doing, which was booking the player for simulation.

You reckon players don't speak like that to officials like that on a very regular basis?

Seems they do and they should be sent off in my opinion. I do think some refs are in awe of the big stars though and tend to let them get away with a lot more.

He didn't deem the abuse worthy of a yellow. He deemed the dive worthy of a yellow. I'm guessing the instant he confronted the player he wanted to forget the whole thing and just get back to what he was doing, which was booking the player for simulation.

The incident was a bit of a shitstorm altogether then.

Seems they do and they should be sent off in my opinion. I do think some refs are in awe of the big stars though and tend to let them get away with a lot more.
    Referees get heaps of abuse at every level every week, but unfortunately the culture of the game is such that it's generally deemed acceptable. And if a ref accidentally allows himself to become a human being for a split second as opposed to a robot, people start questioning why he didn't apply the letter of the law instead of getting upset.

I suspect they are abusive but to that extent? I would hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post

Yep I second that , referee was way too lenient , the use of the C word is a pathetic sign of a weak bullying person,and not a great advert for youngsters .

Hope the association backs the referee in this incident.

I’d have thought such abuse of an official would result in a straight red. A player on the parks would definitely have been sent off. Aren’t refs microphoned up now? If so he should have the evidence to support his side of the affair, I doubt if players from either side would speak out against Judge for fear of upsetting their peers. Perhaps the FA commission should be asking why Judge wasn’t given his marching orders.
    Refs and linesmen are microphpned up on a 3 way radio system. One of the linesmen must have heard it.

Quote Originally Posted by GL1Blue View Post
    Refs and linesmen are microphpned up on a 3 way radio system. One of the linesmen must have heard it.
    The melee of players, got in his eyeline.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    The melee of players, got in his eyeline.
    They weren’t playing Chelsea!

Should be zero tolerance of such language, we have all grown up around football so it's a part of the game in many ways but directing it at the officials should be stamped out.

Rugby has flaws but the respect they give to the ref is another world. Owen Farrell the other week was upset over the decision with the first try, after making his point without expletives he got on with the game, even after he didn't call out the ref at all. I just found it impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Should be zero tolerance of such language, we have all grown up around football so it's a part of the game in many ways but directing it at the officials should be stamped out.

Rugby has flaws but the respect they give to the ref is another world. Owen Farrell the other week was upset over the decision with the first try, after making his point without expletives he got on with the game, even after he didn't call out the ref at all. I just found it impressive.
    I can remember a-programme where the ref was miked up and the comments of players towards him were recorded during the game. The match in question was a league fixture between Millwall and Arsenal at the old Den, so that gives you an idea of how long ago we’re talking - pre Premier League days, round about thirty years ago. The language of the Arsenal players in particular came as a shock to me, plenty of effing and blinding which went completely unpunished and had me wondering just what constituted the “foul and abusive language” players were often charged with at that time.
    Based on that programme, Darren Drysdale must have heard been called some pretty awful names during his refereeing career which makes me wonder what it was that makes Judge’s comments the worst he’d ever heard and why he didn’t just show the player a straight red card.