+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coventry heading back to The Ricoh

Coventry heading back to The Ricoh

Coventry have completed a deal to return to the Ricoh Arena for their home matches next season. An agreement with rugby union’s Wasps – the owners of the stadium – has been reached and the two parties have signed a 10-year licence for the Sky Blues to play there until 2031, from the start of the 2021-22 season.

Re: Coventry heading back to The Ricoh

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Coventry have completed a deal to return to the Ricoh Arena for their home matches next season. An agreement with rugby union’s Wasps – the owners of the stadium – has been reached and the two parties have signed a 10-year licence for the Sky Blues to play there until 2031, from the start of the 2021-22 season.
    Being sent to..... never mind. I still have fond memories of watching Ian Gibson and Ernie Hunt on familial visits to Lady Godiva's outpost.

I was always amazed by the way Coventry continued to stay in the top-flight (old Division One) year after year. Yet they never had any real household names. I recall Willie Carr and that's about it.
    I think their chairman, Jimmy Hill, was more well-known than any of the players back then.

Edit: Ernie Hunt was another player who I remembered (thank you TBG!).

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I was always amazed by the way Coventry continued to stay in the top-flight (old Division One) year after year. Yet they never had any real household names. I recall Willie Carr and that's about it.
    I think their chairman, Jimmy Hill, was more well-known than any of the players back then.

Craig Bellamy

Ben Wilson who was Goalkeeper with us for 4 years appears to be their first choice keeper.
    It took him a while , but looks like he has made it .
    He is a good lad Ben .

Bobby Gould of course.

In their first two seasons in the top division after gaining promotion in the late sixties they came bottom but two and avoided relegation - only to finish sixth in their third season! Jimmy Hill was the chairman at the time and he was way ahead of the game regarding branding. I remember drinking coffee out of sky blue paper cups adorned with the club crest, which was revolutionary at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Craig Bellamy
    I'd almost forgotten his one season stint with them.

First Team

The other CCFC

Some sanity returning to the game as Coventry City have made a deal with Wasps RFC to return to their city and play at their old ground.

Re: The other CCFC

always had a soft spot for cov , loved them sticking it up the big boys when they spent all those years in the top flight

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Some sanity returning to the game as Coventry City have made a deal with Wasps RFC to return to their city and play at their old ground.
    There must be quite a buzz around the club with that news

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    There must be quite a buzz around the club with that news
    D’you reckon their ‘B’ team will play there?....... double

Wasn't Dion Dublin there a couple of seasons?

Best bit of Coventry's history that I remember.

https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/se...f&action=click

Do you know, they were the first club to have an all seater stadium, back in the 60's.
    The fans hated it, so Jimmy Hill, went back to the norm, but maintained it was "The Future"

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Best bit of Coventry's history that I remember.

https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/se...f&action=click

Do you know, they were the first club to have an all seater stadium, back in the 60's.
    The fans hated it, so Jimmy Hill, went back to the norm, but maintained it was "The Future"
    He wrote that Play Up Sky Blues song as well, dreadful. They rebranded to sky blue in 1962, before Hill was their manager but he did change their historic Bantams nickname to Sky Blues. I much preferred the old club nicknames, Chelsea, the Pensioners, Crystal Palace, the clever nickname The Glaziers, WBA, The Throstles etc

John Hartson

Willie Boland

I was the only kid kicking around a football in the parks of Ely wearing a Coventry kit.
    My three best mates had Chelsea, Celtic and Arsenal kits respectively. Bleedin' glory hunters.

Jay Bothroyd

I'd almost forgotten his one season stint with them.
    Colin Stein

Aron Gunnarsson

remember collecting those football stickers years ago and Terry Yorath springs to mind

drove past the ricoh earlier and they got the coventry city logo up along side the wasps logo already

Dave Bennet you f@cking heathens. Loved that guy.

Robert Page, Dean Gordon, John Williams, Willo Flood, Simon Haworth and Ben Turner.

Okay, apart from Craig Bellamy, John Harrison, Dion Dublin, Willie Boland, Jay Bothroyd, Terry Yorath, Aron Gunnarsson, Dave Bennett, Robert Page, Dean Gordon, John Williams, Willo Flood, Simon Haworth and Ben Turner, no real household names