+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GET CASTLE STREET OPEN TO TRAFFIC, voting form hopefully here.

Re: GET CASTLE STREET OPEN TO TRAFFIC, voting form hopefully here.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Boris is trying to engineer votes for Tories in Wales and plans on withholding money from Wales if not spent on M4 relief road. But, just like the Boris bridge I or II or Boris water cannon, it doesn't make sense. Unless we're ready to TALK about an M4 relief, relief road already.

Keeping Castle Street closed to traffic also, probably, doesn't make sense given layout of City centre.

They have SPENT billions on it already, what's to talk about ?

The layout of the city centre and north of it is pretty much restricted traffic wise. With Castle St closed the only through roads from east to west from town up are Tyndall St/ Callaghan Sq/ Penarth Rd and then Western Avenue. That’s a fair old distance of stop ends, the city centre itself, the castle, the castle grounds, Blackweir and all of North Rd up to the flyover. It’s like the Berlin Wall separating two parts of a short distance. Difficult to sort out with all that parkland, which we don’t want to lose to an intermediate through road. Bit of a distance from Cardiff Bridge to Western Avenue Bridge, most cities with a river running through it have a series of road/rail bridges quite close together. 100 years ago the buildings in front of the castle green were being demolished to allow a freer flow of traffic, it opened up the front of the castle, which wasn’t a bad thing, perhaps they should have gone the whole hog and tunnelled under Blackweir, the river, Sophia Gardens & Pontcanna Fields opposite the Law Courts. I’m blaming the city fathers of that time for lack of foresight although we’d all be complaining now about the tunnel being only two lanes

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Boris is trying to engineer votes for Tories in Wales and plans on withholding money from Wales if not spent on M4 relief road. But, just like the Boris bridge I or II or Boris water cannon, it doesn't make sense. Unless we're ready to talk about an M4 relief, relief road already.

Keeping Castle Street closed to traffic also, probably, doesn't make sense given layout of City centre.
    I dont think they should close it now. As you say the layout doesn't suit. However, keeping it open indefinitely doesn't make sense either. They should incorporate plans to eventually close it once alternative east/west solutions have been explored and implemented.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    They have SPENT billions on it already, what's to talk about ?
    Billions?! I hope you get an accountant to do your books,Tone

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Billions?! I hope you get an accountant to do your books,Tone
    Artistic license
    https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/ne...ief-road-went/

Which you and me could have told um for £20 each

The area should be completely closed off and pedestrianised to join up with Queen Street and St Mary street, to make the area more appealing to shoppers and visitors.

I wouldn’t even allow buses or cyclists.

I believe when it was open, it had the fourth most street pollution in the UK.

As a non Cardiff resident I'm quite happy to vote to keep it closed.

Cardiff needs a tram running from central station to queens street station via westgate st castle st, queen st, station terrace, then back to central via bridge st, custom st and Saunders rd..

Then pedestrianised the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird23 View Post
    The area should be completely closed off and pedestrianised to join up with Queen Street and St Mary street, to make the area more appealing to shoppers and visitors.

I wouldn’t even allow buses or cyclists.

I believe when it was open, it had the fourth most street pollution in the UK.

Pray tell, if you are banning busses, how are the people of Cardiff & all it's visitors going to get access to our Train Station and shops. ?

Pray tell, if you are banning busses, how are the people of Cardiff & all it's visitors going to get access to our Train Station and shops. ?
    The same way they did when the road was recently completely closed off.

It’s not the only way to access the city centre.

Buses can go to Churchill Way, Westgate Street, Station Terrace, Penarth Road.

The same way they did when the road was recently completely closed off.

It’s not the only way to access the city centre.

Buses can go to Churchill Way, Westgate Street, Station Terrace, Penarth Road.
    But NOT the train station + NO connections to get across the City for old people or mums with prams.

very selfish of people, to just think of themselves

But NOT the train station + NO connections to get across the City for old people or mums with prams.

very selfish of people, to just think of themselves
    What are you on about, you can access the train station’s rear entrance from Penarth Road, and the front entrance from buses that stop at Station Terrace, Westgate Street and come up Tudor Street.

What are you on about, you can access the train station’s rear entrance from Penarth Road, and the front entrance from buses that stop at Station Terrace, Westgate Street and come up Tudor Street.

What about people from North Cardiff, busses only go to Grayfriers, under your system !

That's about 1 mile from the station

What about people from North Cardiff, busses only go to Grayfriers, under your system !

That's about 1 mile from the station
    As I’ve pointed out a couple of times, buses go close to the train station, from multiple areas of the city.

Previously you posted people couldn’t get in to the city centre.

Now we’ve ascertained they can via Churchill Way, Penarth Road, Station Terrace, Westgate Street and Greyfriars Road.....how many more access points exactly do you need!

By the way, walking it’s half a mile from greyfriars road to the station, not a mile.

As I’ve pointed out a couple of times, buses go close to the train station, from multiple areas of the city.

Now we’ve ascertained they can via Churchill Way, Penarth Road, Station Terrace, Westgate Street and Greyfriars Road.....how many more access points exactly do you need!

By the way, walking it’s half a mile from greyfriars road to the station, not a mile.
    I said all of this back in the summer.

As you have no idea of bus routes, I give up, I cannot debate a subject, if the person I am debating with, has no knowledge of the subject

As regards distance, google maps states it's a 15 to 20 minute walk, the average person can just about walk a mile in that time.

As you have no idea of bus routes, I give up, I cannot debate a subject, if the person I am debating with, has no knowledge of the subject

As regards distance, google maps states it's a 15 to 20 minute walk, the average person can just about walk a mile in that time.
    Then educate us on bus routes. I took a look last summer and buses went to westgate st from the north of the city with a connection there to take you west of the City.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Then educate us on bus routes. I took a look last summer and buses went to westgate st from the north of the city with a connection there to take you west of the City.
    Buses from the north coming down either North Rd or Colum Rd wouldn’t have been able to get to Westgate St with Castle St closed, would they?

I’m baffled as you two are saying “shut Castle Street”,

If you shut Castle Street, how can busses get to Westgate street ?

Or are you making it up, as you go along

Back in the day you would have been the sort of bloke who’d have said you can’t close Queen Street how can we access the city centre?

With anything the council do there’ll always be people like you who are opposed to ‘change.’

By the way, I believe Castle Street was the fourth worst air pollution in the UK. If it’s re-opened how do you propose to address that?

Check out the cardiff bus website, the route i'm on, the 27, looks to me that it goes close to wood st, havelock st and around the back to the train station. Same for the buses from Pentwyn. I don't want to argue the toss with you about this, but from what i can see, there is access to the station and to connecting routes to the west of the city. If i'm wrong, then show me that i'm wrong, i have no problem with that, i'm not a stubborn arse like plenty on here. If the logistics aren't working then i'd gladly rethink my position. Anecdotes mean nothing though.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Buses from the north coming down either North Rd or Colum Rd wouldn’t have been able to get to Westgate St with Castle St closed, would they?
    I don't know, it looks to me like they take a different route, although maybe i'm not understanding what i'm looking at. Like i said to Bluetit, show some evidence and i'll gladly rethink my position. I have no problem with doing that.

I think the only way by bus to get to Westgate St from North Rd would be turn left into Stuttgarter Strasse, in front of the City Hall, then onto Boulevard de Nantes, onto Dumfries Place, turn at the lights and under the bridges into Newport Rd, turn right at the Blind Institute, then right down Adam St, past the gaol, under the bridge onto Bute Terrace, turn right into St Mary St, left by the Prince of Wales into Wood St, turn right into Scott Rd, then right into Havelock St and eventually left into Westgate St. Bit of a tour but it’s the only way I could work out.

Check out the cardiff bus website, the route i'm on, the 27, looks to me that it goes close to wood st, havelock st and around the back to the train station. Same for the buses from Pentwyn. I don't want to argue the toss with you about this, but from what i can see, there is access to the station and to connecting routes to the west of the city. If i'm wrong, then show me that i'm wrong, i have no problem with that, i'm not a stubborn arse like plenty on here. If the logistics aren't working then i'd gladly rethink my position. Anecdotes mean nothing though.

I repeat, you are saying “shut Castle Street”

If you shut Castle Street, the 27 (which I use), cannot get access to the Central Hub of Cardiff

Watching footie now, goodbye

I repeat, you are saying “shut Castle Street”

If you shut Castle Street, the 27 (which I use), cannot get access to the Central Hub of Cardiff

Watching footie now, goodbye
    You gotta laugh at you.

They should re-open the road to pander to the whims of one man, who only likes to use one bus.

Hysterical, comedy gold!