+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Advice required regarding no-win, no-fee legal representation in respect of unfair dismissal

Advice required regarding no-win, no-fee legal representation in respect of unfair dismissal

I have a family member who has just been given his marching orders and who seems to have really good grounds to make a case of unfair dismissal. He's not that well off to risk paying for legal action out of his own pocket and isn't confident that his case may be taken up on a now-win, no-fee basis as he wasn't a high earner.

Any ideas other than him presenting the case himself (and which may not be as effective)?

Thanks

Re: Advice required regarding no-win, no-fee legal representation in respect of unfair dismissal

Re: Advice required regarding no-win, no-fee legal representation in respect of unfair dismissal

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I have a family member who has just been given his marching orders and who seems to have really good grounds to make a case of unfair dismissal. He's not that well off to risk paying for legal action out of his own pocket and isn't confident that his case may be taken up on a now-win, no-fee basis as he wasn't a high earner.

Any ideas other than him presenting the case himself (and which may not be as effective)?

Thanks
    I worked in this field for 10 years. I'd advise to go down the no-win no-fee route, even if they could afford full legal fees. Just to remember it's all about procedure and what is - or isn't documented. The justification or otherwise of the employer's actions aren't up for scrutiny as there will always be diametrically opposed views on what happened, and why it happened..

He could make a DSAR request which may bring up further information to assist his case.

Thanks for your replies. The nub of my question was meant to be as to whether he would be able to find legal representation on a no-win, no-fee basis when he was not on a wage much higher than the minimum wage. He thinks that his case wouldn't be attractive enough financially for a legal representative.

It's a bit late for your relative, but for others, this is just one of many reasons to join a union.

There is undoubtedly some truth on that. Conversely I wonder how many times Union representation has been used to defend a member in the wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    There is undoubtedly some truth on that. Conversely I wonder how many times Union representation has been used to defend a member in the wrong?
    Everyone is entitled to a defence, to put their case and have the same level of professional, expert assistance whether they are "in the right" or "in the wrong".

Would you pay for it if you knew yourself to be in the wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Would you pay for it if you knew yourself to be in the wrong?
    Obviously I wouldn't bring a case of wrongful dismissal if I didn't think that I was wrongfully dismissed.

My daughter tried NWNF when she had an accident, but they wouldn't touch it unless we had legal fees as an option on our home insurance.

Agreed.
    Had a situation about 10 years ago where I received excellent representation resulting in a satisfactory outcome.