+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 52 deaths due to Coivid in UK Reported Yesterday

Re: 52 deaths due to Coivid in UK Reported Yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I didn't see anything wrong with your OP. There is positivity in infections and deaths decreasing.

It's likely that England win the Euros this/last year (6/7 games at home, better talent than before with players who actually like each other - only a dodgy manager and being overplayed this year can stop them) so what's already being described as "a summer of fun" will only become even more extreme. It would be wrong for people in the UK to think covid is over (many poorer countries will need us to step up our efforts to support them, outcome and implications of behaviour during covid shouldn't be forgotten, could see a much worse flu season or new variant which knocks us back a few steps) despite what will be high levels of relief and some happiness.
    Looking forward to yet another golden generation of English players getting built up only to go out in the groups.

I will raise a pint to that.

...... All this talk of Brits and THE Government is making me a little queasy.....sorry.

Has it been mentioned that under this government, OUR government , Wales is second in Europe in terms of second doses given per capita? ..... two or three times higher than the rate in most other European countries, including England.

I suppose that this will be a reason to celebrate for many elderly and vulnerable people, in Wales at least.

Johnson and the Tories will further divide the UK and eventually we will be able to take care of our own affairs and do so in a more efficient manner, whether it be a health crisis, a financial one.... whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Labour , Plaid , Liberals , Greens , independents , SNP .....I hate sturgeon and her crew , silly twats .....and plaid are living in the age of druids
    Can you elaborate....or are you just a unionist ? I don't mean to be rude, I just mean that maybe you don't see any politics whatsoever existing in any meaningful way beyond the politics that is centred in London.

Do you know any of Plaid's policies. Do you know who the leader of Plaid is even ? Maybe you are right about them living in the age of Druids, I'd just be interested to know why you think that.....like, with facts n shit.

What's wrong with the SNP. When they do go independent, I should imagine there is a good chance Scotland will be better off under the SNP as a country within the EU , once again.

It would be good to see small , efficient countries operating with freedom on an international stage.

Seriously, I think you have summed its up . There is very little hope for anything resembling a decent, healthy, political system within England, and seeing as we are dragged and jostled by the whims of the English, why would you even want to bother with them.Be done with them....unless you are a hopeless romantic, nostalgic for the days of the empire.....or a masochist.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    So, are you saying the UK's high death toll was inevitable? I happen to think that seeing fifty two deaths in a day as a reason for celebration is tantamount to an admission of failure.
    I think inevitable is the wrong word but I do think there is a reason we have more deaths than say France and Spain who've been equally shit as us.

I do think a certain number of deaths were always inevitable and I think you can almost forgive the slow start for the first lockdown.

The failure to notice to same warnings after the summer is probably the biggest failure of this government. I don't think comparing number of deaths with different countries adds any weight to that.

But also look at deaths per million for each country, have we behaved much differently to any western country? I'd say no and I think we do have a slight excuse for having so many more deaths.

Surely you can see that 52 deaths is a reason for failure and celebration though? As disgusting as that sounds it shows we are moving in the right direction.

*Excuse probably the wrong word, I'd say there are reasons we've had so many more deaths than France and Spain etc despite not doing much different to them in terms of lockdowns.

On a day when a poll puts Boris Johnson on a positive personal rating for the first time since May, you show exactly the sort of thinking which leads to a situation like that - fifty two families and hundreds, if not thousands, of friends are in mourning today, but you go ahead and have your pint to celebrate.
    What complete claptrap. We've had 1900 deaths a day. Yesterday was 52. The cause for celebration was the 98% reduction, not the 52 that died. You even manage to bring in your daily obsession with anti -government politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I think inevitable is the wrong word but I do think there is a reason we have more deaths than say France and Spain who've been equally shit as us.

I do think a certain number of deaths were always inevitable and I think you can almost forgive the slow start for the first lockdown.

The failure to notice to same warnings after the summer is probably the biggest failure of this government. I don't think comparing number of deaths with different countries adds any weight to that.

But also look at deaths per million for each country, have we behaved much differently to any western country? I'd say no and I think we do have a slight excuse for having so many more deaths.

Surely you can see that 52 deaths is a reason for failure and celebration though? As disgusting as that sounds it shows we are moving in the right direction.
    Let’s not forget that there was something of a rehearsal for what might happen in a pandemic in 2017 I believe it was and it’s been reported that the conclusions were largely ignored because they were so concerning to be revealed to the public, Actually, I think the opposite to you, the UK Government got so many things wrong back in the spring, but would not blame them as much for what happened during the winter months when viruses like Covid are always going to prosper.

Fifty deaths a day equates to something like a thousand every three weeks - for me, if it is ever appropriate to “celebrate” COVID victims, it’s when the number is into single figures a day.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    What complete claptrap. We've had 1900 deaths a day. Yesterday was 52. The cause for celebration was the 98% reduction, not the 52 that died. You even manage to bring in your daily obsession with anti -government politics.
    From memory, you’re a category C aren’t you - they’re all as bad as each other and it’s just a coincidence I always come down on the same side of the fence in my opinions.

There were no deaths in Northern Ireland on Sunday and none in Wales about ten days ago, they are occasions for celebration- 52 still seems way too high to start doing that for me.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Apologies I thought it was , I've posted again below for clarity ,sorry for using your term i'll raise glass

" Gosh that is very low , I need a pint"

This board can be prickly at times.

Sorry for my positiveness
    I can’t keep up with all of the individual grudges on this board so I’m assuming you must’ve pissed Bob off at some point but I think I understood the intent of your OP.

We’ve been in Canada for 10 years but almost every other part of our family is still in the UK. Naturally (for us at least) we make comparisons between the 2 countries. For almost the entirety of the pandemic the UK has appeared like a horror show compared to Canada, but Croesy did a reasonable job of articulating some of the contributing factors to that.

Yesterday the 2 numbers (cases and deaths) were very similar, and the trajectory has been that way for about 2-3 weeks now. Within the last year that had appeared highly unlikely to be the case, so while of course any death is tragic (it would be obtuse to suggest anything else) what appears to be true today is that the UK can, despite its pain of the last 12 months, see the end in sight... as can Canada, but just nowhere near as quickly and we have half the population.

I lost my Dad in the last 12 months, indirectly from covid, but my Mum, who is in Wales, still celebrates the fact that things are improving dramatically and if she drank pints I think she’d join you 👍

Not often i agree with you, but we are moving in the right direction and rather quickly at that and it looks like some do not like that ( i speak to them daily, so it is not just here / online ) a section of our community have revelled in this chance to knock the government ( despite never having a answer to what another gov would have done differently ) and it has become their life in the past 12 months, now it looks like it is coming to a end, they are worried

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    For a man who massively underplayed Covid at the start, railed against every restriction that has been imposed to stop its spread and has gone on record to say that lockdowns don't work you deserve some credit for the chutzpah in this argument.

Let’s not forget that there was something of a rehearsal for what might happen in a pandemic in 2017 I believe it was and it’s been reported that the conclusions were largely ignored because they were so concerning to be revealed to the public, Actually, I think the opposite to you, the UK Government got so many things wrong back in the spring, but would not blame them as much for what happened during the winter months when viruses like Covid are always going to prosper.

Fifty deaths a day equates to something like a thousand every three weeks - for me, if it is ever appropriate to “celebrate” COVID victims, it’s when the number is into single figures a day.
    No one is celebrating the deaths though are they? They're celebrating the fact that despite the world still being in trouble we seem to be for once moving in the right direction and at pace.

There aren't many people who hate this government more than me and they've been ****ing useless at times throughout this and deserve to be held to account for some of the more scandelous things they've done.

But surely there has to be a point when we say other than a few outliers most countries have done terribley at this. And although a lot can be put at the feet of the government I think we need to consider that there are other things that have contributed to us having such a high number of deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Not often i agree with you, but we are moving in the right direction and rather quickly at that and it looks like some do not like that ( i speak to them daily, so it is not just here / online ) a section of our community have revelled in this chance to knock the government ( despite never having a answer to what another gov would have done differently ) and it has become their life in the past 12 months, now it looks like it is coming to a end, they are worried
    I think the arguments about the all governments of the UK's mistakes are well aired and rehearsed. You must have some strange friends if they are worried that we are returning to some kind of normality. I have a mother in a care home I haven't seen for 6 months so we all have skin in the game of some sort.

My concern, the crass nature of the sentiments in the original post aside, is that our history of this is that we want to be on the next step before we have banked the benefits of the current one. On my recent trips out to shops and on walks there seems an almost imperceptible loosening of the social distancing contracts we have entered into with one another and larger social groups than permitted currently are more common sights.

The messaging needs to be reinforced that victory should not be declared until victory is assured. I know the mantra from scientists is that the lifting of restrictions is data not date driven but there is enough on here and elsewhere that suggest some politicians don't mean that and the sooner we take the steps the better regardless of the impact. Hopefully vaccines will mean that we don't end up repeating the mistakes of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Who on earth are you speaking to that doesn't like that we are heading in the right direction?

Why does it matter what another government would have done differently? This government are a bunch of corrupt scumbags and should be held account, what does it matter if someone else would have hypothetically done it?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    For a man who massively underplayed Covid at the start, railed against every restriction that has been imposed to stop its spread and has gone on record to say that lockdowns don't work you deserve some credit for the chutzpah in this argument.
    I guess it must be a coincidence that deaths and cases fall when we enter a lockdown and rise when it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I guess it must be a coincidence that deaths and cases fall when we enter a lockdown and rise when it's over.

I think only 2 reported in Wales yesterday but it was the weekend figure. Now awaiting today's figures. As low now as last September. Reported infections are going down too, and we are testing more people now than last year. But there again, there are signs from Italy, Poland and Germany of rising figures, allegedly due to other strains.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I think only 2 reported in Wales yesterday but it was the weekend figure. Now awaiting today's figures. As low now as last September. Reported infections are going down too, and we are testing more people now than last year. But there again, there are signs from Italy, Poland and Germany of rising figures, allegedly due to other strains.
    As long as the vaccines work as they're thought to we shouldn't have to worry.

The amount of testing we are doing at the moment is reassuring too, especially with the low % of positivity coming from them.

The amount of testing we are doing at the moment is reassuring too, especially with the low % of positivity coming from them.
    I think you are misunderstanding how they work.

They do not stop you getting ill, they reduce the chances of you getting ill by a good margin, they reduce but not eliminate transmission. They stop you from dieing.

There will still be transmission of the virus, and the more elusive strains will still likely make you ill as the vaccine is not effective against these other strains. As soon as we allow people to go on holidays again more strains will enter the country that are likely to beat the vaccines.

Enjoy this upcoming break from it all, but we are not even half way through this yet...

I actually think the effect of the different strains has been overblown a bit by the media.

The vaccines also severely reduce hospitalisation and death even with the variants.

And there is evidence that they all significantly reduce transmission.

Plus a booster won’t take anywhere near as long to produce as the vaccines did and would probably only be needed for the most vulnerable people.

I’m not saying you’re wrong but I think it’s a very pessimistic view to take when looking at how vaccines and virus have behaved historically and with the real world data we currently have.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post
    I think you are misunderstanding how they work.

They do not stop you getting ill, they reduce the chances of you getting ill by a good margin, they reduce but not eliminate transmission. They stop you from dieing.

There will still be transmission of the virus, and the more elusive strains will still likely make you ill as the vaccine is not effective against these other strains. As soon as we allow people to go on holidays again more strains will enter the country that are likely to beat the vaccines.

Enjoy this upcoming break from it all, but we are not even half way through this yet...
    I think you're right with what you say, but also think the threat to health services being over run is going to be greatly reduced which should help bring normality back.

However the biggest problem we have is unvaccinated countries, which is still not going to be resolved soon. I think I heard that 130 countries have not begun vaccination, and that's mainly because a handful of countries have snaffled the doses. Hancock said the UK had reserved over 350 million doses. Doses earmarked for mainly fit over 40s would do more good being sent to health workers in unvaccinated countries but that won't happen.

This is what will hold the world back.

I also think there is never going to be zero Covid and anyone striving for this is going to be disappointed.

The vaccines will reduce it to another thing we will have to put up with.

We have to accept that there will be a level of death and infection probably seasonally forever. But hopefully from the figures being seen at the moment it will be more of par with flu if not lower with the efficacy we’ve seen so far.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I think you're right with what you say, but also think the threat to health services being over run is going to be greatly reduced which should help bring normality back.

However the biggest problem we have is unvaccinated countries, which is still not going to be resolved soon. I think I heard that 130 countries have not begun vaccination, and that's mainly because a handful of countries have snaffled the doses. Hancock said the UK had reserved over 350 million doses. Doses earmarked for mainly fit over 40s would do more good being sent to health workers in unvaccinated countries but that won't happen.

This is what will hold the world back.
    In fairness to the U.K. here they’ve been hit pretty badly with deaths and I think are probably right to be paranoid and want to lower the risk as much as possible.

Also they invested in the Oxford vaccine will be sold at cost so should go some way to helping poorer countries.

I agree. I had my first vaccine jab 3 weeks ago. 12 hours later II developed symptoms like 'flu , which i had for 24 hours. Apart from that no problem. The important thing is about reducing the risk of hospitalisation , and being asthmatic and really old! So old I can remember Les Lea and Barrie Jones playing for City.

In fairness to the U.K. here they’ve been hit pretty badly with deaths and I think are probably right to be paranoid and want to lower the risk as much as possible.

Also they invested in the Oxford vaccine will be sold at cost so should go some way to helping poorer countries.
    Not just the UK - Canada has also massively overordered with almost 10 doses per person. The EU has a whole is 3.5 doses and the US is a little higher.

There's a clear match of high income countries and high vaccination rate, which is obviously no surprise. I'm not making a criticism as I would not expect anything else; they have to vaccinate themselves first. But the virus doesn't respect borders and I expect that will become the main problem in the second half of 2021. How can a vaccinated country open its economy to a mainly unvaccinated world?