+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wales Squad

Wales Squad

No Vaulks but Jonny, Wilson & Moore all in

Re: Wales Squad

That's extremely harsh on Vaulks. He's been regularly playing top end of championship. His form has improved and yet he doesn't make squad. Ramsey is bound to drop out injured - I'm sure he can't be happy with being overlooked in favour of players who can't even get on the pitch with us
    I wonder if somebody has a problem with Will - which would be a surprise as he always comes across as a pretty personable guy.

Its a baffling decision, Morrell isn't playing for Luton, Smith is doing well but in the division below, Sheehan is two divisions below and Levitt is shit

What's even crazier is that a benchwarmer at Vaulks' own club is in ahead of him

Morrell in squad who can't even get on bench for an utterly dreadful Luton team. Definitely something not right here.

I'd mentioned in the Pack thread that Vaulks would get a rest during the international break, was half tongue in cheek expecting him to at least sit on the bench.

This is the weakest looking Welsh team for some time, the better players are ageing and despite the buzz on the youngsters by some, many haven't really kicked on (although plenty of time for some, for that to still happen). Weak at GK and across midfield, doesn't look good for the Euro 20 or WC qualification.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    I'd mentioned in the Pack thread that Vaulks would get a rest during the international break, was half tongue in cheek expecting him to at least sit on the bench.

This is the weakest looking Welsh team for some time, the better players are ageing and despite the buzz on the youngsters by some, many haven't really kicked on (although plenty of time for some, for that to still happen). Weak at GK and across midfield, doesn't look good for the Euro 20 or WC qualification.
    yeah I was thinking the same. we've got about 7 or 8 good players. if everyone is fit we can put out a good team but we drop off very quickly after that. it's a pity more of the youngsters haven't kicked on.

over the bridge England have as much talent at the moment as I can ever remember them having. I can see them winning something soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    yeah I was thinking the same. we've got about 7 or 8 good players. if everyone is fit we can put out a good team but we drop off very quickly after that. it's a pity more of the youngsters haven't kicked on.

over the bridge England have as much talent at the moment as I can ever remember them having. I can see them winning something soon.
    People are banging on about this being the best Welsh squad for some time, it really isn't. The current crop have the potential to be special, but they're nowhere near yet and time's running out for some of them to kick on. I do think our first XI is very good though if they're all fit and firing

Hennessey

Roberts/Williams Mepham Rodon Davies

Ampadu Allen

Bale Ramsey James

Moore

Some of the selections have a youth for youth's sake look to them when you consider the Vaulks omission. I'm not saying Vaulks should be in the starting line up, but he's got more to offer at the moment than, for example, Morrell, Levitt and Sheehan.

No David Brooks either I see,

Overlooking Jephcott is another strange one, banging them in in League 1 but nowhere to be seen

Giggs clearly has his favourites

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Some of the selections have a youth for youth's sake look to them when you consider the Vaulks omission. I'm not saying Vaulks should be in the starting line up, but he's got more to offer at the moment than, for example, Morrell, Levitt and Sheehan.

Brooks is injured. Other ankle this time. Been out for two weeks but back in April

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Brooks is injured. Other ankle this time. Been out for two weeks but back in April
    yes, I knew he was injured, but a couple of years ago I was thinking he was one of three or four who would be able to help see us through the eventual retirements of Bale, Ramsey, Allen, Williams etc. but I think that needs to be reappraised now and Ampadu's not really kicked on as much as hoped either.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    People are banging on about this being the best Welsh squad for some time, it really isn't. The current crop have the potential to be special, but they're nowhere near yet and time's running out for some of them to kick on. I do think our first XI is very good though if they're all fit and firing

Hennessey

Roberts/Williams Mepham Rodon Davies

Ampadu Allen

Bale Ramsey James

Moore
    Still think our 2016 squad was the best, packed with regular starters and most in the top flight.

How is Allen doing, can we expect the same one back. Any idea?

That's an absolute nonsense of a selection from Giggs.

Is the requisite for Wales selection these days to be playing as few minutes as possible?

James Lawrence should be absolutely nowhere near an international squad. Especially when James Chester is fit and playing regularly.

What the **** has Tom Lawrence done to be picked?

We all know Vaulks is a limited player but how is he behind Sheehan, Smith and Levitt? It was great for Sheehan to get a call up but is he seriously now going to be a long term option for us? A ****ing 4th division player?!

Even someone like Robbie Burton is more deserving of a spot.

You just know he'll line up with Morrell and Smith against Belgium too.

Isn't it more or less the same group of players that were in the squad for the draw against the USA and the wins vs Ireland and Finland, when Vaulks was also absent?

The Wales management seem happier with players like Morell who are comfortable on the ball and can pass it than hustlers like Vaulks. I was in Croatia for the last competitive Wales game he started where Modric and co gave our midfield an embarrassing run around. We seem to be berating the technical capability of our central midfield and then bemoan that one of their number hasn't made the step up to international level.

How is Allen doing, can we expect the same one back. Any idea?[/QUOTE]

Hopefully dreadfully until Wednesday...

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Isn't it more or less the same group of players that were in the squad for the draw against the USA and the wins vs Ireland and Finland, when Vaulks was also absent?

The Wales management seem happier with players like Morell who are comfortable on the ball and can pass it than hustlers like Vaulks. I was in Croatia for the last competitive Wales game he started where Modric and co gave our midfield an embarrassing run around. We seem to be berating the technical capability of our central midfield and then bemoan that one of their number hasn't made the step up to international level.
    Joe Morrell can't get in the Luton team, Levitt, Sheehan and Smith all play at a lower level of football. Added to that, they're all very samey players (especially Levitt, Smith & Morrell) there's no need for all of them. Vaulks would offer a different more physical option

Levitt is such a bizarre choice. He's benchwarming for Croatian relegation strugglers while Vaulks is playing for a top half Championship and Robbie Burton is getting gametime for Zagreb

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post

To be fair Croatia were world cup runners up and had a midfield consisting of people from Barcelona and Madrid, anybody using that as a yard stick to measure is being unjust.

However looking at recent Wales Teams, we seem to play 5 at the back an another central defender in the midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Agreed. Very odd squad.

I would have thought this would have been an ideal opportunity to bring Brooks back in.

Harsh on Vaulks, especially when seeing who has been picked.

Am sure there is no problem with Will's personality but we're only a few weeks on from his asking why Cardiff can't be happy playing to their reputation and admitting it's a style of football that suits his game more. Our worst performances of the season have seen midfield over-run by pass and move football of Norwich, Swansea, Brentford and that's exactly the type of football most international sides employ. Vaulks hasn't yet impressed on international scene whereas others have when given the same chance.

I have massive sympathy for him on basis of what he does well and how well he's done here but can see some logic in why Page isn't diverting from The Wales Way by picking him for this particular camp. Am sure he has a role to play in future camps, and cause he's a stand up guy will relish proving his doubters wrong, but this is all about trusting what has worked when first two qualifier games are so, so important.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    To be fair Croatia were world cup runners up and had a midfield consisting of people from Barcelona and Madrid, anybody using that as a yard stick to measure is being unjust.

However looking at recent Wales Teams, we seem to play 5 at the back an another central defender in the midfield.
    Maybe harsh but since that game Wales have played 10 competitive matches winning 6 and drawing 3 in which time Vaulks played 3 minutes and Morrell was a regular starter.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Joe Morrell can't get in the Luton team, Levitt, Sheehan and Smith all play at a lower level of football. Added to that, they're all very samey players (especially Levitt, Smith & Morrell) there's no need for all of them. Vaulks would offer a different more physical option

Levitt is such a bizarre choice. He's benchwarming for Croatian relegation strugglers while Vaulks is playing for a top half Championship and Robbie Burton is getting gametime for Zagreb
    Lewitt moved there like two weeks ago. Have they even played enough games in that time for him to be considered bench warming?

Patience is needed with out young lot I reckon. We only had two players showing themselves to be champions League players in Euro 2016 but did alright based on a club like spirit, massive fans support, familiarity with the system, being solid in defence and those two names doing damage in attack. Let's just wait and see if we can get two plus out of the next crop which would show maintaining our standards or better. The other important measures being is whether we have a deeper squad in terms of talent and whether we have covered all 11 positions or whether we're completely missing a LB for example.

I would like to see Burton in a camp soon mind.

I think Levitt is going to be a good player and Morrell never lets Wales down, but having moaned about City “samey” midfield for ages, I see signs here of Wales doing the same thing, but in the opposite direction. Vaulks would offer something a bit different and has a, spectacular, goal in him every now and then - unless I’ve forgotten about someone, I think of the midfielders selected and can’t come up with anyone who’ll score for us.

Giggs has previously spoken about players needing to play which will no doubt be commented on with this group.

Still, I think this camp is a little bit different given how significant the games are. How many selections come out of left-field for a world cup/euros and this camp is of similar magnitude in importance.

What a slap in the face for Vaulks. He should walk into that squad.

Morrell has put in a number of decent displays.
    However, this is a farce it's all well and good to pick one type of player but when things get tough you need someone like Vaulks who will run and run.

He's showing that he can score goals from absolutely nothing and for me he is our most important midfielder in a team in promotion form. This has pissed me off.