+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheff Utd 5 City 1

Sheff Utd 5 City 1

Any of you old dogs remember this promotion game being on the radio. Im guessing it was not. The reason i say that is when the game was almost over i went around to the phone box as we did not have a phone to call the club for the score. When i got to the telephone box there were about 8-10 people waiting to use it.With that a guy came out and asked if any of us if we were phoning to find out the score. Everyone said yes and he told us th bad news.I think i cried myself to sleep that night.

Re: Sheff Utd 5 City 1

Remember it well. In the Masons Arms Whitchurch that night and we were all hovering around the phone trying to get some info. Bloody awful result.

If my memory serves me right wasnt Gil Reece playing for Sheff Utd then?

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    I was in school and there was a great absenteeism on Wednesday (it was sports day!) as so many went up to Sheffield by coach.

At 4-1 it was time to leave and go to the pub but we kids weren't allowed to by the leader of the Grange End mob, whose name now escapes me. Bearded fellow, didn't argue with him.

Got home about 4 a.m. and faced a school inquest next morning.

Gil Reece was brilliant that night, but when we signed him soon afterwards he was ....not so good. I have a feeling our goal was an og as well.

No wonder we are rather pessimistic supporters.

Any of you old dogs remember this promotion game being on the radio. Im guessing it was not. The reason i say that is when the game was almost over i went around to the phone box as we did not have a phone to call the club for the score. When i got to the telephone box there were about 8-10 people waiting to use it.With that a guy came out and asked if any of us if we were phoning to find out the score. Everyone said yes and he told us th bad news.I think i cried myself to sleep that night.
    I was there. I travelled up to Sheffield on a special from Cardiff General. Sheffield had 6 shots and scored 5. It was unbelievable.

StT.
    <><

Yes I was getting the scores via a phone box in Llandaff north.
    Bad night.

He scored one of their goals and, apparently, ran us ragged.

I tried to forget about the game by going to play five a side football in the old Dutch barn in Cantonian lower school - it didn't work!

Thanks for reminding me of this game

Didn’t Steve Derrett score our goal?

I was on that train as well,Steve the Tea. Sheffield seemed to score every time they attacked and passed us off the pitch. Game was played at a cricket ground!

When the score came up on the TV I was shellshocked and incredibly deflated. I really felt that we could do it but this result set the tone for many years to come.

I've heard from a few sources that we didn't play that badly, one of which is Steve Derrett, who scored for the City on the night.

Ironically we drew them away in the FA Cup the following season and beat them 3-1. That result instead of the 5-1 dribbling the year before would have seen us promoted.

Drubbing ! Bloody predictive text.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Didn’t Steve Derrett score our goal?
    He had a shot that was deflected in by Trevor Hockey - the Western Mail match report records the deflection, but gives the goal to Derrett, but, based on the research I did for the book, I think it tends to be shown as a Hockey own goal these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    I was there. I travelled up to Sheffield on a special from Cardiff General. Sheffield had 6 shots and scored 5. It was unbelievable.

StT.
    <><

Not too dissimilar then to the league game at home against the same opposition in 1977. Every time the ball went loose in the area they had a player available to slot it in and we got beaten 6-1. Typical City, we won the reverse fixture at their place 1-0.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Not too dissimilar then to the league game at home against the same opposition in 1977. Every time the ball went loose in the area they had a player available to slot it in and we got beaten 6-1. Typical City, we won the reverse fixture at their place 1-0.
    We lost 6-3 at Bolton in our next game after the 1-6 against Sheffield United as well.

My second really big disappointment as City fan, just a few months after we sold Toshack. Steve Derrett scored our goal and there were nearly 43,000 fans there. Not sure if a train was run, but I was on a train the following season when we went back up there and won 3-1 in the FA Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    We lost 6-3 at Bolton in our next game after the 1-6 against Sheffield United as well.
    And true to form we beat them in the reverse fixture.

Checking the results that season, we were incredibly inconsistent. Took some hidings and gave a few too. See we played Spurs at home in the league and had a crowd of under 9,000.

And true to form we beat them in the reverse fixture.

Checking the results that season, we were incredibly inconsistent. Took some hidings and gave a few too. See we played Spurs at home in the league and had a crowd of under 9,000.
    Yes we beat them 1-0. I am sure Bolton would have secured promotion with a win, but we spoilt the party as well as saving us from us going into relegation zone. Same season as the contentious loss at last game at home against Orient that sent Blackpool down.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    Yes we beat them 1-0. I am sure Bolton would have secured promotion with a win, but we spoilt the party as well as saving us from us going into relegation zone. Same season as the contentious loss at last game at home against Orient that sent Blackpool down.
    Spedger
    I mentioned THAT game against Orient a few weeks ago on a Peter Kitchen thread. The dodgiest game I've seen in my 56 years of following the City.

I was only 7 years old at the time but I can vaguely recall being confused at how a team that was obviously decent (we were doing well) could lose so heavily. I really should move on!

And can you imagine phoning up to get the score!

(I can vividly remember my Dad leaving the Cardiff City scores on a piece of paper outside my bedroom door so that I got them as soon as I woke up in the morning. I used to do the same for my boys. Cruel, I know! )

The following January (1972) we beat them 3-1 up there in the FA Cup R3. Saw that one, too. Why couldn't the scores have been reversed?

StT.
    <><

When the score came up on the TV I was shellshocked and incredibly deflated. I really felt that we could do it but this result set the tone for many years to come.

I've heard from a few sources that we didn't play that badly, one of which is Steve Derrett, who scored for the City on the night.

Ironically we drew them away in the FA Cup the following season and beat them 3-1. That result instead of the 5-1 dribbling the year before would have seen us promoted.

It definitely was

I mentioned THAT game against Orient a few weeks ago on a Peter Kitchen thread. The dodgiest game I've seen in my 56 years of following the City.
    We were so bad I didn’t want us to score and send Orient down.

Quote Originally Posted by ksbenchpwllheli View Post
    I was on that train as well,Steve the Tea. Sheffield seemed to score every time they attacked and passed us off the pitch. Game was played at a cricket ground!
    The game was played at Bramall Lane, which you are correct, was a cricket ground at the time.

But it's the same ground Sheffield United, play at now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bramall_Lane

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    The following January (1972) we beat them 3-1 up there in the FA Cup R3. Saw that one, too. Why couldn't the scores have been reversed?

StT.
    <><
    I've always wondered what a 3-sided ground felt like for atmosphere. Were there fans in the cricket stands too because they would have been a long way from the action ? Also did they have loads of ballboys to retrieve balls kicked onto the cricketing area ?