+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sheff Utd 5 City 1

Re: Sheff Utd 5 City 1

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I've always wondered what a 3-sided ground felt like for atmosphere. Were there fans in the cricket stands too because they would have been a long way from the action ? Also did they have loads of ballboys to retrieve balls kicked onto the cricketing area ?
    Goalkeepers had bats

First Team

I cannot remember there being a radio commentary but I do seem to remember there being a special score line telephone number you could ring .
    Is my memory playing tricks or can anyone else remember the GPO (as was) providing that one off service for the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    I was there. I travelled up to Sheffield on a special from Cardiff General. Sheffield had 6 shots and scored 5. It was unbelievable.

StT.
    <><

Gosh tough long round trip for you to witness

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    I cannot remember there being a radio commentary but I do seem to remember there being a special score line telephone number you could ring .
    Is my memory playing tricks or can anyone else remember the GPO (as was) providing that one off service for the game?
    We used to phone the echo. Gotta be fair, they always answered, whatever the time

The County Ground, Northampton was three sided, shared with the cricket as well.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    Any of you old dogs remember this promotion game being on the radio. Im guessing it was not. The reason i say that is when the game was almost over i went around to the phone box as we did not have a phone to call the club for the score. When i got to the telephone box there were about 8-10 people waiting to use it.With that a guy came out and asked if any of us if we were phoning to find out the score. Everyone said yes and he told us th bad news.I think i cried myself to sleep that night.

Yes there was a phone service with a recorded score for away games and I remember going down to a phone box and being very disappointed and surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post

Quite right, but I don’t think it was a one off.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Gosh tough long round trip for you to witness
    The journey back to Cardiff was as long as it was silent. Then a long walk walk followed once in Cardiff.

StT.
    <><